RMS Current (Irms):650mA
Saturation Current (Isat):1A
Power Inductor Case:13mm x 13mm x 7mm
Packaging:Cut Tape
SVHC:No SVHC (17-Dec-2014)
Q Factor:10
Q Test Frequency:252kHz
Self Resonant Frequency Min:1.4MHz

That looks good too. I am surprised we are just stumbling on this now. Others must have tried. I just have not seen before. It's always been a putoff to pay almost as much for the BSC coil as the driver. Maybe not needed to be like this for 15watt speakers ?

Trouble is China's export laws.

We've bought cheap clothes and shipping was fine, but China puts a ban on shipping a lot of electronics stuff through dealers like Alibaba, Aliexpress and Taobao... at least to Taiwan there is...

I was refused a set of TG9FD drivers, because China's export customs didn't allow it.

Trouble is China's export laws.

We've bought cheap clothes and shipping was fine, but China puts a ban on shipping a lot of electronics stuff through dealers like Alibaba, Aliexpress and Taobao... at least to Taiwan there is...

I was refused a set of TG9FD drivers, because China's export customs didn't allow it.

That sucks, but I know how it is, been in import/export most of my life, and used to restrictions to and from certain countries. For example, when I was Director of Ops for a farm in PR that exports Bougainvillea cuts to nurseries around the world, we had to turn down a $30,000.00 order from Sudan, 'cause the US State Department didn't give us a special permit to export those cuts. Also, when I was in industrial capital projects management, every time we had to deal with Buy American Act, there were products that couldn't be used because of their origin. Anyways, I'm sure those can be found in TW, order from Mouser TW along with other items.

Quick questions, and it maybe a newbie or stupid questions...First of all, I think the answer to the Zobel question is no, but want to be sure; that is the problem when you overthink things...

I read a lot as to learn, and I grasp the concepts, theory, and practice rather well, but failed to read more regarding BSC, and designed a BSC for theoretical 6dB (Tymphany TC9FD18-08), will this be much of an issue, or should I change to 3dB?

Also, do the drivers used in a TABAQ benefit from Zobel? Being a single driver it may not, but want to be sure.

Last edited:
There is still no real evidence that a BSC is ever really needed on any system. Even Vance Dickason, after extensive research, still believes it is a subjective issue. A BSC adds cost, resistance, and possible phase shift problems to any system. I have been building speakers since 1954, and never used such a filter. Room placement, EQ controls, and listening position, all can affect speaker performance can serve to ameliorate the subjective response. Also, there is no need for a Zobel on a single driver system but they can improve crossover action on multi-driver systems.

guangui, no need for a zobel. Room placement can help with bass enhancement, put against the wall you may not need BSC.

Larry

Larry, thanks for your reply. I had the parts for the BSC, and I will move them from a room to the other sometimes, so will do the BSC. Worst case scenario I take it off and use the filter parts for another project. Will nix the Zobel.

But the TC9 will not produce copious amounts of bass in the TABAQ.

The TB drivers, or similar will be better suited.

I had TB W3-881SIF, but the TABAQ footprint and in a short 5.2 "earthquake" one of them fell on it's side, and the magnet is so poorly attached that it came flying off the driver, nice rattle inside the cabinet; was never able to properly align it with the VC, so to the dumpster they went. Anyways, I had used TC9 in other projects and I like them, so I will use them in the TABAQ, but may build another cabinet better suited for it; until I have time for that they will have to do in the TABAQ. And, since there was a sale on PE at $9.00/ea. I jjust got another 3 pairs for future projects, received them yesterday. PE just increased the price to $12.90/ea. Will reinforce with sub.

Last edited:
There is still no real evidence that a BSC is ever really needed on any system. Even Vance Dickason, after extensive research, still believes it is a subjective issue. A BSC adds cost, resistance, and possible phase shift problems to any system. I have been building speakers since 1954, and never used such a filter. Room placement, EQ controls, and listening position, all can affect speaker performance can serve to ameliorate the subjective response. Also, there is no need for a Zobel on a single driver system but they can improve crossover action on multi-driver systems.

Do have to agree with you about adding to the cost and resistance of the system...And, though I don't have any measurements, I built a BSC for a Mark Audio CHR-70.3 in a 7-1/2" wide baffle, and to my ears, there was no difference with or without, maybe when I do measurements, but not to my ears.

Zobel, I knew about it's advantage for multi-way XO's, but had my doubt about single driver. Thanks for your response.

Hi guangui

When I calculate BSC I use MJK´s models. Measurement and listening tests confirm the sound is more balanced with the filter, but only near field and far from back wall.

With 2-3 meter listening distance and the speaker close to the wall,I never use BSC.

The Fs of the Vfa is a little high, TABAQ works best with drivers of Fs not above 105 Hz.

Hi
Bjørn

Hi guangui

When I calculate BSC I use MJK´s models. Measurement and listening tests confirm the sound is more balanced with the filter, but only near field and far from back wall.

With 2-3 meter listening distance and the speaker close to the wall,I never use BSC.

The Fs of the Vfa is a little high, TABAQ works best with drivers of Fs not above 105 Hz.

Hi
Bjørn

Bjorn, thanks for your input...Yes, the Fs for the TC9 125 Hz, which is higher. Did notice the lack of bass compared to the previous TB W3-881 used. I had an Audio Source SW-50 sub that wasn't seeing much action, so I put it to work with the TABAQ/TC9. I am no bass head, but it was needed. The sound of the TC9 is very nice, actually too good for the US$12.00 that is usually sold at, even better at the US$9.00 price PE had. Like I said, I move the TABAQ around, sometimes they are played with my main system, just for the heck of it, other times they are in my bedroom for late night music, and other times in my office at home serving a PC speakers. Distance from back wall varies. When it had the TB drivers I didn't make a BSC filter. For this I wanted to see how the sound changed if any, the BSC has a 1mH inductor and a 6 Ohm Resistor.

Bjorn,

I was checking Parts Express, and they have this 3" FR Driver on sale. Might be a good one for the TABAQ, though it's high end response falls short at 13k Hz. But, though it defeat it's simple purpose, might be a good driver for a 2-Way TABAQ, add a HiVi TN-28 Tweeter an L-Pad and a simple 1st Order XO or HPF, maybe at around 5k Hz, and it might be a very nice compact 2-Way floorstanding speaker.