TABAQ TL for Tangband

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Do have to agree with you about adding to the cost and resistance of the system...And, though I don't have any measurements, I built a BSC for a Mark Audio CHR-70.3 in a 7-1/2" wide baffle, and to my ears, there was no difference with or without, maybe when I do measurements, but not to my ears.

Zobel, I knew about it's advantage for multi-way XO's, but had my doubt about single driver. Thanks for your response.

BSC makes a big difference when used away from walls. The balance of bass and highs is very noticeable to me. Regarding higher cost - I mentioned earlier in this thread that I am using low cost inductors sold by the bag of 10 for a few dollars from Aliexpress. You don't need a lot of amps to flow so a small ferrite core inductor plus a 5 ohm 5 watt resistor will cost you under $1 vs $15 for a Jantzen 1mH air core (not needed). My Tabaq sounds great with BSC and I don't feel that the small inductor is causing any problems.

Here are qnty 20 x 1mH and 1Amp inductors for $2.10.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32600736657.html

Qnty 20 x 5R and 5W resistors for $5.68.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1716196313.html

Last edited:
BSC makes a big difference when used away from walls. The balance of bass and highs is very noticeable to me. Regarding higher cost - I mentioned earlier in this thread that I am using low cost inductors sold by the bag of 10 for a few dollars from Aliexpress. You don't need a lot of amps to flow so a small ferrite core inductor plus a 5 ohm 5 watt resistor will cost you under $1 vs $15 for a Jantzen 1mH air core (not needed). My Tabaq sounds great with BSC and I don't feel that the small inductor is causing any problems.

Here are qnty 20 x 1mH and 1Amp inductors for $2.10.

Online Shop 20pcs Inductor power inductor 1MH 8*10|Aliexpress Mobile

Qnty 20 x 5R and 5W resistors for $5.68.

Online Shop Cement Resistor 5W 5R 20pcs sold by bag Ceramic resistor|Aliexpress Mobile

For BSC I used this 1mH Ferrite Inductor from PE, very inexpensive compared with air core and iron core. Though not as inexpensive as the ones you got.

Have you posted any audio clips of your setup?

524562d1452636069-what-heck-its-less-than-lunch-tda7297-mono-3.png

I am listening to Bob Marley's I Shot Sheriff and the bass line is really present. Great bass from this little P830986 with 1mH and 8.2R BSC.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sound clips with P830986 curvy wall Tabaq

Have you posted any audio clips of your setup?

524562d1452636069-what-heck-its-less-than-lunch-tda7297-mono-3.png

Here you go...

Recorded with Zoom H4 in 96kHz wav and converted to 160kbit mp3 with Audacity. Sanwu TDA8932 PBTL monoblock amp with 19.5v smps supply. Source was iPhone 6s with two 4.7kohm resistors used to convert stereo to mono for mono amp.

Sanwu TDA8932 here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/35W-...o-Low-Power-Stereo-Amplifier/32622123195.html

P830986 here:
http://www.parts-express.com/peerless-830986-3-full-range-woofer--264-1056

Change .asc file extension to .mp3 in order to listen.

Enjoy... :)

Melody Gardot, Natalie Merchant, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Diana Krall

Attachments

• Tabaq-clip-mg-01.asc
    1.7 MB · Views: 183
  • Tabaq-clip-nm-02.asc
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • Tabaq-clip-srv-03.asc
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • Tabaq-clip-dk-04.asc
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Hi perceval
TABAQ is designed for high Qts drivers. The tuning is set low, the volume is rather big for a small driver and the stuffing is dense. The result is a tight and impressive low bass.
The filter is to attenaute the higher frequencies to make the sound more balanced. But this is a matter of taste.
I have not experienced the bass to be stronger with the filter, however.
Regards
Bjørn

Hi Bjørn,

Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean the bass was stronger, I meant more balanced, like you said.

I thought something like QTS=50 was about right for the TABAQ. I have a driver that's about 50, and it has more bass output in the TABAQ than the TC9 (and a couple more drivers I had around), which has a higher QTS.

But overall, I love my TABAQs!
Thanks again for sharing! :)

I thought i would share my contribution to the Tabaq family here. I recently finished these for my daughter as she is starting to develop her own taste in music and needed a way to enjoy that in her own room;). They are built to Mr Johannesen's design but the face and port piece are altered to frame the ply inlay on the front. The drivers were originally from a Harmon Kardon computer speaker system and sound very good in these boxes. I also repackaged the original amplifier to match the speakers. Thank you all for the inspiration you gave me in building these speakers, it was a very rewarding project that I hope my daughter and I will enjoy for a long time.
Graham

Attachments

• IMG_20160429_163508.jpg
    IMG_20160429_163508.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_20160429_165143.jpg
    IMG_20160429_165143.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 752
Hi Bjorn and everybody in this thread, thank you for the inspiration. I am in the process of building a version of TABAQ, with a driver that I have, and observing guidelines you've kindly put together in the pdf file.

The driver spec is as follows:
Diameter 5"
Impedance 8 Ohm
Sensitivity 1M/1W 85 dB
Voice coil diameter 0.56 inch / 1.42 cm
Fs 125 Hz
Qms 7.13
Qes 1.93
Qts 1.52
BL Factor 2.2N/A
Mms 2.1 gram
Vas 2 liter
Sd 43 cm2

Because of the high Qts I decided to tune it 55 Hz as you did, although -NOW- I understand that this is related to the driver so mine might prove to be an unwise decision. :) :)
I also followed the rest of your formula, pipe area = 4*Sd and slot vent is 0.5*Sd, driver is placed 1/3 down the line. What happened is, wood is cut and glued and all, now I'm about to tune the dacron.

I tried stuffing it heavily on the upper 2/3 but the driver sound muffled. I reduced and tried and tried, the driver seemed to be happy with some room directly behind it, so now my dacron stuffing is like a cramped 'C' with the opening behind the driver, and a little heavier above and under the driver. Sorry I didn't take any pic of the stuffing, hope the above makes sense. :)

With the driver parameter as above, does this sound like the right approach? I read with different drivers people found 65g or 80g stuffing to work best. Mine is like 40g or so. Also, with this parameter, would it be beneficial to line the inside of the enclosure with some kind of carpet or acoustic foam?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I thought i would share my contribution to the Tabaq family here. I recently finished these for my daughter as she is starting to develop her own taste in music and needed a way to enjoy that in her own room;). They are built to Mr Johannesen's design but the face and port piece are altered to frame the ply inlay on the front. The drivers were originally from a Harmon Kardon computer speaker system and sound very good in these boxes. I also repackaged the original amplifier to match the speakers. Thank you all for the inspiration you gave me in building these speakers, it was a very rewarding project that I hope my daughter and I will enjoy for a long time.
Graham

Came out great and a great gift!

Thanks Bjorn and Perceval.
It was a fun project. The drivers I'm using have an Fs of 140hz but I kept the box dimensions and stuffing as per the original design because I expect to come back around to this and upgrade to the TB drivers and a better amplifier at some point. Right now my daughter is streaming from her I-pad over blue tooth, so it will never be hi-fi but the music through this set up already sounds far better than any system I would have bought for her pre-made, plus All I needed to buy was the wood so my total cost was under $20.
Graham