TABAQ TL for Tangband

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That's a nice looking driver - and may be a good value. The Qts is low and will not give the TABAQ the impressive bass normally associated with a higher Qts driver. However, I doubt any low price budget driver will actually measure with this low of a Qts - it's almost strictly exotic big magnet big name speakers that get these low Qts powerful motors. I doubt it's much less than 0.4 if someone were to measure it. Has anyone has real world TS parameter measurements with these yet?

Last edited:
Nice!

I'm quite happy!

I finally found some little parts locally. I found this little inductor, 1mH, for less than a dollar, and some resistances.

I tried to apply 1mH + 5 Ohms, and 1mH + 10 Ohms.

This is the effect without anything else and the Aura driver in the TABAQ.

Attachments

• IMG_20160606_180726.jpg
    IMG_20160606_180726.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 675
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 9.46.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 9.46.03 PM.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 581
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice!

I'm quite happy!

I finally found some little parts locally. I found this little inductor, 1mH, for less than a dollar, and some resistances.

I tried to apply 1mH + 5 Ohms, and 1mH + 10 Ohms.

This is the effect without anything else and the Aura driver in the TABAQ.

Great find! Sure beats paying $10 for an air core inductor of same size! Sounds fine doesn't it ?

With BSC in place the bass is a lot more present and powerful.

Yep!

I always felt the bass was there, just subdued by a "screeching" of the driver higher up. Now, it feels a lot more balanced.

I would still apply DRC to them if they were my main speakers, they really shone when I did, but they are doing classroom duties at the moment.

But... I found it so hard to solder with the tiny wires on the inductor.... I hope they will stay put!

Here is another candidate for a TABAQ available from MCM that I am considering.
DYNA VOX LY401F-M01, 55-5535
Range 50 to 20K,
Fs 53
Qts .26,
VAS, 6.38 ltr,
SD 54 cm
SPL 88dB
Power RMS 20W Max 40
Treated paper cone with Phase plug.
Cost $19.00

The Qts is a bit low so one would have to fudge the design a bit.

There is a slightly smaller version of that driver on MCM also, it's Q is much more in line with the desired levels and is closer to the design parameters... Might be worth checking out. Dynavox 3.5" Full Range Speaker 20 Watt 6 Ohm | LY302F | Dynavox

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Birca1987,
Nice build - great touch with rebate on driver bezel. Looks like you have Peerless aluminum cone P830987 inverted rubber surround 3in. I have used the 830986 non inverted surround variant and think it sounds great - perhaps one of the best performers in the Tabaq. The TS parameters together with the sizzle on the high end above 20k gives it quite a bit of "air". I suspect the OEM Tabaq driver is in fact, the 830987 based on photos I have seen so it won't surprise me if you get fantastic sound. It will need BSC from what I can tell if you want rich balanced sound. About 1mH and between 5R and 6.8R in parallel should do the trick.

Here is my Omni version of a TABQA. The Hex shaped tube is 37.5 inches long and is stuffed with 4 ounces of polyester. The driver is the infamous RS 40-1354 5.5 " full range. (If a manufacturer would reissue this driver it would be a great seller.) The omni reflector is a 4.5" hard foam hemisphere. It produces a very airy yet firm 360 degree sound field with an F3 of 46 Hz and is down 8 dB at 35 Hz. No bad for a 20 year old rubber surround driver.

Attachments

• Omni Hex II Reduced.JPG
    Omni Hex II Reduced.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 825
Here is my Omni version of a TABQA. The Hex shaped tube is 37.5 inches long and is stuffed with 4 ounces of polyester. The driver is the infamous RS 40-1354 5.5 " full range. (If a manufacturer would reissue this driver it would be a great seller.) The omni reflector is a 4.5" hard foam hemisphere. It produces a very airy yet firm 360 degree sound field with an F3 of 46 Hz and is down 8 dB at 35 Hz. No bad for a 20 year old rubber surround driver.

Always coming up with some cool sh&t! What is your complete sound impression? What ID is your omni. Those could make up for a nice surround speaker that would fill the room with effects. Sure must be nice with music as part of a 2 or 2.1 system, but with it's F3, personally, I wouldn't need a sub for most music material.