The best cabinet material !!!!

Let me clarify my last post: those are sonic impressions. I do not like damped cabinets as they tend to sound like they're obscuring small details and just subtracting from the music. Whereas I feel these effects significantly less than with speakers based on the inert cabinet model.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I believe the BBC suggested 400Hz or so as the hard/soft transition. I'm building a baffle out of steel channel (C section) for below 300Hz. It will be down firing if I can get that to work, and have hardwood accoutrements, such as magnet clamping. No idea what to expect, but there are several places I can decouple or load the panels if needed.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Indeed. There are methods and materials that work extraordinarily well, but not all are practical or worth the cost. I love the way sand filled walls work, but have never built any of my speakers that way because, damn..... It's crazy heavy and rather labor intensive.

There are more clever way to get similar results, right?

cast iron with precipitated graphite flake, please - steel is usually very high Q

there are some AlMgZn die casting alloys that are "off the chart" high damping for metals

I think 2 outer constrained layers, one each side, for a 5 layer sandwich with thick center structural layer is more weight/volume efficient, do add the damping bracing too

Last edited:
Indeed. There are methods and materials that work extraordinarily well, but not all are practical or worth the cost. I love the way sand filled walls work, but have never built any of my speakers that way because, damn..... It's crazy heavy and rather labor intensive.

There are more clever way to get similar results, right?

Certainly - using a good knowledge of noise control techniques helps a lot.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting. I've never heard of Micarta, but have probably seen it.

FWIW, cargo shipping containers are now using a similar sort of stuff. It's woven bamboo matts that are pressed and soaked in some sort of glue and/or resin. Makes for a pretty floor. about 25mm thick. I'd love to find some to test for speaker building.

natural fibers and phenolic thermoset aren't exactly world class composites - and while cheap for the class are still way more expensive than Baltic Birch Plywood, probably even pricier than the good bamboo laminate plywoods

maybe similar to panzerholtz?