The Black Hole......

I've seen the abuse SM's take on stage and keep working.
Years ago I picked up an SM at a flea market. Someone had braised the quite mangled wire screen back onto the threaded ring. It still worked and near as I could tell, sounded a lot like the SM58 I had bought new back then.

I imagined someone twirling it around by the cord, until the XLR connector finally broke loose, then it shot across the stage hitting the side of a Marshall stack, busting the screen clean off. Somebody fixed it. I wonder how many more gigs they used that one for?

Back in the day, before these newfangled digital consoles with their laser-guided missiles (i.e. abundant full-parametric EQ everywhere), one thing I liked (or at least put up with) about the Shure "sound" was that if you miked the whole band with 57s & 58s, at least all the individual "presence peaks" would be so pervasive & consistent, you could mostly just deal with it all at once in the house curve. ¯\(ツ)

Hans,

I was aware of attempts to make a microphone that does have direct digital output without the use of a discreet analog to digital converter. As I recall the diaphragm had multiple sections to function as a digital condenser microphone.

Just for more trivia nonsense:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4737735

I never could figure out why this patent flew. Although I did like his cited inspiration!

Last edited:
I always thought the SM series sold as much on beatings proofness as anything else? Like when ford did the 'build ford tough'... at least as long as the saddle tanks didn't get hit in an accident :D
I know it is easy to say Ford when speaking of truck fires but I think GM was more notorious for the side saddle problems.
Also NBC had to get into trouble for making really sure the truck blew up when filming a crash. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/exploding-chevy-pickups-and-nbc-coverup/

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I hear that gold isn't actually um, gold. Quote...

"Gold is yellow, even though gold is supposed to have a silvery color, just like silver. Gold appears this way because of what scientists call relativistic quantum chemistry. The theory states that if the atoms of an object move so fast that they cannot be sped up anymore, any extra energy expended into speeding up will only increase their mass instead of their speed. This new mass is called relativistic mass.

The knowledge of relativistic mass is crucial since it can alter the color of an object. Remember we mentioned that gold should have a silvery color. However, its atoms already travel at 58% the speed of light. Attempts to speed those atoms up causes them to absorb blue (which has a low wavelength) and reflect yellow, which has a higher wavelength."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_quantum_chemistry

Doesn't sound half bad to be a hammer ;)
vlcsnap-2022-08-14-01h13m54s525.png

vlcsnap-2022-08-14-01h14m31s317.png

Reactions: 1 users
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Doesn't sound half bad to be a hammer ?
I'm not an expert and I can't judge the subjectivity or the technicalities on this, but is there a more advanced accapella song than this?
When I heard it first I listened to it for hundreds of times , but now after so many years it sounds so cold and technical...It's so weird that it feels so downgraded ...if it wouldn't be for the blue girl :) ....

Last edited: