The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I am the proud owner of a boominator (in action here) and now I am building a mono half boominator 'halfinator'.

I have 2 MPT-001s and 2 HP-10Ws.

I also have some misc. amps around from other projects:

'TK2050-Dual-Channel-Class-T-HIFI-Stereo-Audio-Digital-Amplifier-Board-50W-50W'
And a couple of the lovely Lepai LP-2020A+ units

Could I get some guidance on what amp is recommended (maybe one I have), voltage, and how to wire up the speakers? I really don't get it (sorry!)

I assumed the simple stereo to mono summing box here would be the start. From there?

Simply wire each channel with one MPT-001 and one HP-10W in parallel?

I am the proud owner of a boominator (in action here) and now I am building a mono half boominator 'halfinator'.

I have 2 MPT-001s and 2 HP-10Ws.

I also have some misc. amps around from other projects:

'TK2050-Dual-Channel-Class-T-HIFI-Stereo-Audio-Digital-Amplifier-Board-50W-50W'
And a couple of the lovely Lepai LP-2020A+ units

Could I get some guidance on what amp is recommended (maybe one I have), voltage, and how to wire up the speakers? I really don't get it (sorry!)

I assumed the simple stereo to mono summing box here would be the start. From there?

So after a year's use of my boominator I fancy upgrading with a cubo15 or two. The speaker build looks straight forward enough but how are people powering them and what amps are suitable. The boominator build was perfect as it has everything you need to know somewhere in this thread but I can't find any examples of cubo15 builds with basic info about amplifiers and power. If anybody has any insight I'd love some advice.

I glued my skeleton. It turned out well. I then test fitted the baffles and it has a very small gap if any. I can barely move the speaker grills. I think with the glue, I will not have to shim the drivers.

I did power up the drivers and got some distortion in the woofers running full volume. Not sure what to make of that. I only tried one channel, one side.

IMG_4792_zpslrrmct9d.jpg

Last edited:
I glued my skeleton. It turned out well. I then test fitted the baffles and it has a very small gap if any. I can barely move the speaker grills. I think with the glue, I will not have to shim the drivers.

I did power up the drivers and got some distortion in the woofers running full volume. Not sure what to make of that. I only tried one channel, one side.

IMG_4792_zpslrrmct9d.jpg

Looking good

That is exactly how it should be. Great job.

Don't make anything of it. It will sound quite bad without being in a cabinet and even inside once it is done or up close outside. It is specifically optimizes for >10 feet away, outside, placed directly on the ground. Just wait. I think you will be quite happy with its ability to fill a large space with good sound. ;)

I am just about ready for paint. Just some final filling and sanding. I'm going to use duratex. Its a pretty basic build with no solar panels or internal charging. Cheap 2021 amp that I use in my mini's and a LifePO4 battery.

I did a test before I secured the top. Pretty flippin' loud. Put out 95-100db off an iPod classic. No rattling once I put enough weight on the top and no distortion. It is a beast (both sound volume and weight).

My goal is to take it to a holiday party this weekend.

I am just about ready for paint. Just some final filling and sanding. I'm going to use duratex. Its a pretty basic build with no solar panels or internal charging. Cheap 2021 amp that I use in my mini's and a LifePO4 battery.

I did a test before I secured the top. Pretty flippin' loud. Put out 95-100db off an iPod classic. No rattling once I put enough weight on the top and no distortion. It is a beast (both sound volume and weight).

My goal is to take it to a holiday party this weekend.

Excellent. Remember the recommended filler for duratex is drywall mud. Super fast and easy and it takes a couple of days for the duratex to really harden. The sooner you can paint the better. It would be great if you could hook into the ports to hold it while painting (or through the battery compartment). That would allow you to paint the whole thing at once.

So if I do a Boominator could it also double as PA amp?

If I attach a 6 channel mixer could I hook up two gitars, a bass and two mic's and use the line out from the mixer to connect the mixer to the boominator?

Then I can choose source, ie play music from usb stick, phone or line out from the mixer?

Is there anything that could prevent this from working? I realize boominators bipolar/omni directional set up might not be the best for choice for PA usage but it seems like an affordable way to get both a party boombox, a home speaker and a PA setup for band practice.

What you all think, doable?

So if I do a Boominator could it also double as PA amp?

If I attach a 6 channel mixer could I hook up two gitars, a bass and two mic's and use the line out from the mixer to connect the mixer to the boominator?

Then I can choose source, ie play music from usb stick, phone or line out from the mixer?

Is there anything that could prevent this from working? I realize boominators bipolar/omni directional set up might not be the best for choice for PA usage but it seems like an affordable way to get both a party boombox, a home speaker and a PA setup for band practice.

What you all think, doable?

I've done it, it's ok for busking but placement is tricky as the 360 degree sound can cause feedback at high volume... Vocals sound great through it...
BJ