The Daytonator - PA130-8X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just came across this regarding the CX150-8:

YouTube

Is the issue blow by air through the VC gap? That happens on a lot of drivers with no dustcap and a small sealed chamber. The driver is meant for vented box and that will not be an issue. Or maybe this is a really large excessive leak? The sound difference in the video is mostly the extra bass you get when you isolate front and back of membrane. I couldn't tell how much was form blowby. Also that chamber is a small PVC pipe that is way smaller than recommended volume based on Vas.

I wonder if we can build something of similar size that sounds better than the KEF LS50 - especially the glow-in-the-dark version!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Yes, I think you are correct - the hiss is air coming through the VC gap. I found more posts by the video author in the thread below. It looks like he is trying to make a compact bluetooth speaker, so it could be that he is using an inappropriate enclosure for this driver.

Dayton Audio joins the coaxial game. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

PE states this venting holes issue has been resolved. However, please compare these two photos:

Left one from

Dayton Audio CX120-8 4" Coaxial Driver with 3/4" Silk Dome Tweeter 8 Ohm

And the right one from

Dayton Audio CX120-8 4" Coaxial Driver with 3/4" Silk Dome Tweeter - SoundImports

Close inspection suggests that the photos are identical except the holes are just removed from the PE photo! Indeed, a reviewer at PE wrote " ...The other thing is the vents in the pole-piece is not solved, or i got drivers from a early batch..."

Caution...

Attachments

• cx120.jpg
    cx120.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 371
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.