The Daytonator - PA130-8X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Daytonator XKi is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...arlson-6th-order-bandpass-32.html#post4404251

Funny you mention this as I was just listening to it in the kitchen yesterday running mono. No one else was home so I took the volume up - this thing actually rocks pretty hard and has got good bass punch for such a small box. The cone motion is well controlled with the 6th order bandpass design,

495902d1438079275-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-pa130-8.png

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...arlson-6th-order-bandpass-33.html#post4427694

499810d1440228176-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-pa130-8-build-1.png

500009d1440314705-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-pa130-8-completed.png

I am using a TDA8932 mono amp ($3 with free shipping) but sounds like a $100 amp) with a 19v SMPS and a 3.5mm input cable with left and right going through 4.7k resistors for summed mono.

When looking for plans to a foam core project don't forget the index here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures.html

XRK, my son wants a speaker for his small dorm room. He's sharing the room with one of his buddies. There is NO floor space so the speaker will have to sit on top of a desk, dresser or bookshelf - source will be their phone or tablet. I think the Daytonator would be an excellent option. Could you post the dimensions or diagram for the project?

Thanks!

Currently residing in a small dorm room as well, with speakers sitting on top of a desk. Not happy with my unit now, it's a Sony SS-VF3, that's hard to drive, feels like it needs a lot of power. I missed full range speakers. I do. Have fun and I hope your son would enjoy it.

No, I built him this. He already got in trouble playing too loudly. His roommate always thanks me. Apparently, he plays music more often than my son. On the weekends students gather in the hall by his open door. Said he's made friends with people wanting to see his stereo (it's only mono, just one speaker).

Eminence 8" plus Foster horn tweeter (lying around collecting dust). 3500kHz crossover is too high... it sounds too bassy unless the L-pad is turned almost all the way up... room feels like it's going to explode from bass... strangely, the vocals are crystal clear... he freakin loves it!

I have the little Karlson printed out to scale on my dining room table - a project for another day. Thanks!

Attachments

• dorm-blaster.jpg
    dorm-blaster.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
hi,

wanto to build an enclosure for the pa130-8. I was hoping that my wife would like the xki's enclosure, but no luck. The speaker are a gift to her. She will be using them at her job in a desk. What options do i have? She like the looks of the common BR enclosures because it's the only kind of speakers she is used to see.

thank you

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
12mm should work and just keep the internal dimensions the same as the volumes and vent cross sections are what matter. The Daytonator I built in his thread, I gave to a friend and he uses it in his house and everyone including the wife loves the sound. They stopped listening to their old stereo set and use this with their phone as source.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Has anyone tried this new driver from Dayton? Looks like the ideal Daytonator with built in silk dome coax.

CX150-8:
Dayton Audio CX150-8 5-1/4" Coaxial Driver with 1" Silk Dome Tweeter 8 Ohm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cast frame too... nice....

Might take a bit of work with a passive XO though:

I see an upcoming XKi or 0.53x Karlsonator based on this. :D

cute driver - maybe the 4" version would be nice in a mini Karlsonator. Speaking of coax, I wonder if ApexJr finally sold out of their M&K coax -? he had it for years cheap and it appeared to have a very good build quality. There were no mounting holes drilled on the frame. They sold for ~$15 each - or less in lots. Here's some left on Ebay

domes have been clobbered in the sample below - maybe a light pull from a vacuum would straighten that problem (?)

NEW (2) Vifa 4" 2-way Speakers.M&K Miller Kreisel MP6 Coaxial.Full Range Pair. | eBay

ApexJr page
Speaker Stuff

Speaking of 'nators - I guess Emiinence's poly cone version of their Beta8cx was a commercial flop. It may
have been a good product for home hi-fi (?)

Eminence Acoustinator CX2008 8" Guitar Speaker 8 Ohm

data sheet https://www.parts-express.com/pedoc...-acoustinator-cx2008-specifications-45364.pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.