The diyAudio Firstwatt F6

I ended up purchasing the CineMag with leads, so I can fit any board layout. Makes it easy for me to mount and proceed with P2P. Another question, I have a bunch of IFRP250 left over from a repair, is it OK to try to use them? Getting ready to order from Mouser, so if not the IRFP240 are cheap. Do they need to be matched or just close?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have been listening to this amp for the last couple of weeks and am very much enjoying its sound. The bias and offset settings have been checked and reset twice as they had drifted somewhat. The amp being very sensitive to trimmer adjustment in particular the offset and to whether the lid is on or off.
Sound quality is superb and the F6 has the deepest/widest soundstage of any amp that I have built in the last thirty years; the majority of which have been Nelson's designs. A big thank you Papa :cheers:

Has anyone compared the sound of separate diodes to the diode bridges most commonly used with the First Watts?

Nelson seems to use diodes in his Pass Lab amps. You'd think they are superior? If one wanted to try out, which ones to use? Which one's does Nelson use - you guys know? :mischiev:

Any way you looks at it, it's a very small part of the sound. It may change it for the better, but the topology and active components determine the sound. Don't tweak until you are sure you like the sound of the general amp. Then you can chase the rabbit and get into the ge of diminishing returns.

Any way you looks at it, it's a very small part of the sound. It may change it for the better, but the topology and active components determine the sound. Don't tweak until you are sure you like the sound of the general amp. Then you can chase the rabbit and get into the ge of diminishing retur

Yups, this is exacly what I've been doing. The F6 has been my default amp for quite a while now. Also my system is really quite good - so every, even small, change does make a difference. It's already been diminishing returns for some time now... :blush:

So am I to understand Schottky is the part to try? Would you give some exact part reference/number, please?

100V/20A part
choose

Well... there are at least a dozen different versions even with these specs... The whole point of me asking was not having to choose blindly - hoping there is some consensus or at least someone’s experience of which one(s) sound the 'best'. ;) Obviously, after building a couple of First Watts, I trust Nelson's ears, so that's why I asked what he prefers.

labjr, the IXYS is a bridge again. Would you have any comment on the sound compared to a standard bridge?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I use these.

GBPC3502 Fairchild Semiconductor | Mouser

In my experience, there is no sound difference in diodes in this kind of PSU. I strongly prefer the bridges like this as they are smaller, cooler, much less expensive, and easier to mount.

High-speed diodes are made for a completely different purpose than a huge linear PSU.

And anyway, if there is a 'sound' to the PSU, it's going to be completely dominated by the second row of filter capacitors.