The food thread

MIT, are you asking what I like to add to the canned pizza sauce?
Sorry, no. I'm replying to your comment on my post of treating whole peppercorns with a smoked whiskey taste. You commented it was simple, and I inferred you did this all the time; I haven't heard of it being done, and am wondering what other spices you do this with. I'd like infusing other ones, and often "wake up" spices or ingredients by toasting only. So far I've only considered doing something similar with Rosemary, but am asking what you do with yours that is similar. I'd like to try others.

Just a simple favourite flavours team-up-
Hi MIT, Actually it was a quote of yours I used that referred to simple, and yes I love to experiment with the unconventional. I especially like it when others do it when it is not too complicated, and report their results. Constantly looking for new ideas. When it comes to flavour infusions, I admit to doing the opposite of your way mostly. Here you have infused a solid with a liquid.
I am most often using something solid to infuse a liquid like oils, vinegars or other types of sauce or flavourings.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Been moving house so not had any time for updates in last few weeks. Now out the hovel into a house with more space and slowly getting the food production line back into action. Still making the odd brick in the breadmaker when I add too much organic flour, but most loaves come out as I want them and as the sprogs will eat it.

Good news is that we have a market here in town on a friday with a good selection of fruit and veg. We just discovered that the lemons they sell are the thin skinned variety we need for pickle so expect reports on failed fermentations coming along.

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    713.4 KB · Views: 20
Try saffron, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom for infusions, separately.
Toasted / dry roasted fennel can be good. Pound or roll with a rolling pin before adding to the fluid.

Crush one clove or a single cardamom pod in about a half bottle of whisky, or try it in a more neutral base like vodka or white rum first, maybe a dry white wine.

Cardamom is usually added in small quantities.

And look for artisanal liqeurs / native distilled drinks from India, and other places, there are betel, orange, and other flavors made here, and Rajasthan State in India had a tradition of native distlled alcoholic spirits.
Interesting reads, if you are so inclined, and the government distillery there has kept at least some alive, but I must say it is an acquired taste.

'Kesar Katuri' contains saffron, musk from the Himalayan Musk deer, and totally has about 12 to 14 assorted ingredients added to the base spirit, it is well documented, and information is available on the net.

This may give you some ideas:
https://www.tourgenie.com/travel-diaries/travel-blogs/local-drinks-of-sikkim
(No ties to me, just a random net link)

And we have something called 'Feni' in Goa, made from cashew fruit, again an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The bare minimum- my white bread ghetto fried smokie with mustard and pepper sour cream.
More time for today's get- an AR XA with a shop installed M55e, serviced motor, grounding changed to left channel of new RCA leads, adjusted for cartridge tone arm height, spare stylus, spare new belt, talcum, silicon oil, refinished wood.

The only blemish I could find was a tiny discolouration opposite the pivot rear corner, where the suction cup of a lifter used to be.
I am the beneficiary of someone losing a WAF skirmish.
I've never owned a fully manual turntable before, but heard this model maybe 15 or more years ago.
That one had a Shure V-15 iii I think, and I think it suits my system better than that one fit I'm it's system.

Attachments

• 20240623_130635.jpg
    20240623_130635.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240623_160917.jpg
    20240623_160917.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 13
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I completely forgot to take a picture of sons birthday cake. He wanted a victoria sponge, so that is what he got. Now not the best cake to make if still calibrating to a new oven, but it turned out exceedingly edible if not prize winning. The Women's Institute (I believe they have that in Canada) pride themselves in beating the perfect sponge recipe into their members as far as I can tell. I am not at that level.

Life has been a bit rough lately (health wise) and I haven't been cooking as much as I used to. I grilled Salmon a couple days ago (Aldi North Atlantic) and had some left over.

So, I made a dish my mom used to make with canned salmon. (no bones in the filet). Chop the salmon, add an egg and some diced onion and bell (red) pepper. Mix well and add cornmeal to form patties. Cook in bacon grease (50/50 with peanut oil, I am trying to cook healthy). serve with pan fried taters n onions with stewed tomatoes. I got out the fine china tonight.
20240626_190744.jpg

A few whiles ago I prepared my favourite "rostade haffsfrukter" (roasted ocian fruttis), mixed seafood with garlic, chilli and a semidry (or even semisweet) wine to match the heat.
It is probably wellknow that here in Sweden, the govt runs the liquor stores - Systembolaget - (no one else is allowed), but with the monopoly comes a great assortment and well trained personnel.
Often I know what goes to my planned dishes, but I still ask what the staff what they propose and I often come out of the store with wine I'd never expected but really worked perfect. If you come to Sweden, try Systembolaget (or the Glass bank or The Green Sign or the Farmacy ...) and ask what goes for roasted bluewhale or opossum fillets ... (or a pizza Calzone, sirloin steak, Chow Mein or whatever). Many dislike the idea of a shop that is strongly regulated like closed on Sundays, not allowed to sell to minors, have no bargains (buy 2 for the price of 3) and has made the Swedish people decrease the intake of alcohol.

My Seafood dish: a package of seafood, garlic (chopped not mashed) and diied hot chilli and loads of olive oil and a baguette to soak up the oil.

IMG_9397.JPG