The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

:) indeed! I would have loved doing bass arrays too ;).

Though one of these subs has twice the volume displacement of one array. So this should help quite a bit. The arrays will still be played full range, I'll just use a little less boost EQ on the bottom end. Creating head-room is the primary idea. Plus the subs will most probably take over the left/right compensation I do in the bass department.

Love your work and craftmanship quality wesayso ...:D
Allround seviceable... :up:
Rattlefree non 3rd party distortion... :up:
Crazy owner about clean music reproduction and graphs... :up:

Guess a alternative in foam core for example will see not only graphs but also physical enclosure will jump around all over living room, now whatever eyes that see can then call that mecahnical live correction or call it a non wanted distortion.

Last edited:
It's glued as well! :D
But how did you clamp it while the glue set? :confused:

:rofl:

Guess a alternative in foam core for example will see not only graphs but also physical enclosure will jump around all over living room...
How about with opposed drivers?

Edit: On 2nd thought, 2 of those drivers would probably cause a foam box to explode...

Last edited:
I am trying out a variety of target responses and I want to overlay those on a flat correction for the arrays and the sub. It gets cumbersome to keep convolving the target responses with the flat correction filters (it gets rather difficult to overlay the crossover and a target for the array and sub, and produce one target response for DRC). I have been using Align2 for that, and you could also do it directly using sox in the batch script. But, would be much easier and convenient using two convolvers operating back to back in JRiver.

Will try our 32 lives and the other suggestions.

I used REW to add two convolution wavs together, it's just a matter of selecting them and multiplying them together to make a new wav file, I did that to test out Rephase tweaks in comparison to a DRC filter without. Not sure if that fits with what you are trying but is easier than using sox.

That's nice for $99 for 2 channels but you get better performance at a lower cost per channel when you buy one of the Motu Audio interfaces e.g. 24AO for $995 or Ultralite MK IV for $595. Of course most of us are several ways away from needing that many channels.

Interesting... I immediately looked up the Motu 8A only to find it was more expensive than the 10 channel Ultralite.

Oh, so the Ultralite also has the Ess DAC chip now. Cool.

That is very interesting. especially for those who believe 8 channels outputs is enough.

The 8a is more a professional unit where you can daisy-chain units together to double the inputs, for tracking drums AND the rest of the band, for example.

Last edited:
Agree Motu interfaces that nc535 points out and thanks are interesting, then again for home users there always seems to be one or another spec that don't suit very well and will imagine those PRO units will spit out 10-25volt when DACS stretch legs so there we go again.

For home use case member pos is very positive so far for interface in below link and it seems on his request they soon will send one unit for review at same site as previous link for that 2 channel DAC, 8 ballanced channels and tested in JRiver as XO unit using ESS Pro chip instead of ESS desktop version so that ESS weak point into intermodulation distortion vs level should be gone.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ven...annel-module-sabre-es9028pro.html#post5535922

perceval if i remember right in past you claimed your room is a real acoustic havoc so ha ha get one or two of those multi channel Motu interfaces and install DSP steered speakers all over the place then you are in control for whatever mood can wish for and set zones up in JRiver that will suit genres or visitors.

Ha!

I do enjoy some HT as well, so those channels fill up quickly!

I usually split mains into HF and LF, so that's 4 channels. centre, L/R surrounds, and finally sub out. that's another 4. Maxed out!

Daisy chain another unit and I now have 8 more channels for DSP playing to give me an even bigger headache! No thanks! Ha ha!

Not counting that I would also need another 8-channel amp!

I'm trying to save money here... well, that's what my wife is telling me to do! :D

It's usually that output 1 and 2 are mirrors of Mains L and R.

So, 8 analogue outputs, but the extra 2 Mains out are the same as 1 and 2... which could be used as full range outputs from the mains into your sub amps featuring their own LP filter... assuming you would get some kind of plate amp with variable XO, phase, etc....

For now, I don't have a need for more than 8 channels :).

Left and Right mains
Left and right subs
Left and right ambience
Ambience center and future center phantom helper(*)

(*) Yet to figure out what I want with that ;)

All of it would need to be fully controllable from within JRiver to fit my needs.

The above would be easy to transform for HT use too.

Last edited:
JRiver will see it as an 8-ouput card (7.1 in the drop down menu), so yes, you would be able to steer anything you need towards all those channels.

Too bad JRiver doesn't allow for custom naming of channels.
It kinda gets confusing when using something like "Surround Back" as the LF for Mains.

I had to keep cue cards on what I did to which channels that was sent to which channels when I was using another 8-channel pro card.

@BRYTT thanks for tip on OKTO. agree pro units have extra features but at least they are not kits and the higher output is good for driving pro amps. Would love to have Sabre DACs but don't need another project.

I've been following Motu for a while, not quite ready to buy. I think more expensive units like 24AO and 16A use 32 bit Sabre DACs. Others use Burr Brown 24@192, which should be good enough in real world. Took another look last night and found Presonus Studio 1824 on sale for $399 with 10 outputs (24@192) assuming headphones are independent, which I believe is usually the case.

If I may, from personal experience....

I had the precursor called 1818vsl.
It has been the most troublesome piece of hardware I've ever had.

The thing was flawed from the beginning, design-wise. Yet, Presonus kept saying they were working on it. Very little information or movement from Presonus for 4 years, then they said they would throw in the towel and quit supporting that unit... even if we never got any support from them, only empty promises, or even blatant lies, leaving all of us customers with barely working units.

That's for the driver part. On the more hands on, the mic preamps on Presonus are ok, but the DACs are sub-par. very metallic and "screeching" would be my assessment. Sibilance is a problem on those units.

There's a reason why Presonus is often on sale at very tempting prices.... if you don't like getting headaches over gear, and like to keep your hair on your head (not pulling it out trying to solve number x problem), then stay away from that unit. I basically put Presonus way below Behringer these days.

MOTU had a bad run a few years ago, but the latest hardware coming out from them seem very well praised and doing exactly what they advertise. That's got to count for something in these days of hyper hype that does not deliver.

Last edited:
If I may, from personal experience....

I had the precursor called 1818vsl.
It has been the most troublesome piece of hardware I've ever had.

The thing was flawed from the beginning, design-wise. Yet, Presonus kept saying they were working on it. Very little information or movement from Presonus for 4 years, then they said they would throw in the towel and quit supporting that unit... even if we never got any support from them, only empty promises, or even blatant lies, leaving all of us customers with barely working units.

That's for the driver part. On the more hands on, the mic preamps on Presonus are ok, but the DACs are sub-par. very metallic and "screeching" would be my assessment. Sibilance is a problem on those units.

There's a reason why Presonus is often on sale at very tempting prices.... if you don't like getting headaches over gear, and like to keep your hair on your head (not pulling it out trying to solve number x problem), then stay away from that unit. I basically put Presonus way below Behringer these days.

MOTU had a bad run a few years ago, but the latest hardware coming out from them seem very well praised and doing exactly what they advertise. That's got to count for something in these days of hyper hype that does not deliver.

Thanks for the warning. I've already bought too many sound cards. It would be nice if this next one would be the last for a while