The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Since you do such good work and are completely thorough in in your process maybe you could request "samples" to test and do a write up for marketing. I am positive they sold drivers after people have seen you arrays and would sell more.

Turn the project into a pr article.

If you are suggesting that there is no benefit to higher prices drivers I would think they would want to change your (and other customers) minds.

I think you have made the emotional decision that you want what you consider to be the better driver (10F) and want some facts to back up that choice :)

There is no way to know if the result will be better in an array, both seem quite suitable spec wise. I highly doubt that using the 10F will be a step backwards even if it isn't a step forwards. It is clearly a "better" driver in the same way a Satori is a "better" driver than the standard range.

Ha Ha, if you have the money and can spare the effort then why die wondering? ;) (Meant only in the sense of the phrase not literally given recent events)

Sounds like you just have to try wesayso!?

50 10F drivers is quite an investment...

Maybe we (the diyaudio community) should help wesayso in building his dream?

I will chip in 10 drivers to start with.
Anyone who wants to help?

(PS me if you want to help)

Maybe I missed a part of the discussion, in that case you can just ignore my message.

But ever looked at other 3 inch fullrange drivers?

LaVoce has some really nice ones, with plenty of demodulation.
Beyma's 3FR30 (beware of the version 2 vs version 1 !!!!!) is also a very excellent little fullrange. With a really nice high sensitivity as well.

FaitalPro obviously.
SB Acoustics SB10PGC2

I mean there is nothing wrong with the 10F of course.
Except that they aren't really cheap.
btw, the 8ohm version of the 10F is slightly better than de 4ohm version.

Last edited:
Completely setting aside time and cost, my biggest concern would be it seems too much of a lateral move. My gut says swapping the drivers won't matter enough...

Don't mean to be a naysayer at all....just wanting you to have another truly great experience ! :)

Hi Mark,

I'm not looking for a different concept. If I hadn't been happy with the results thus far, meaning arrays + room treatment + DSP and ambience, I would never try to take it even further.

Maybe a high sensitivity tweeter in the middle.

Bliesma T34(might be too big) or BMS5530 on a small waveguide to blend in with the box.

I've looked into added tweeters, along with nc535 and Crumboo we even simulated a few. However as I said above, I'm sold to what I have created and willing to take that as far as I can possibly get it.

Maybe I missed a part of the discussion, in that case you can just ignore my message.

But ever looked at other 3 inch fullrange drivers?

LaVoce has some really nice ones, with plenty of demodulation.
Beyma's 3FR30 (beware of the version 2 vs version 1 !!!!!) is also a very excellent little fullrange. With a really nice high sensitivity as well.

FaitalPro obviously.
SB Acoustics SB10PGC2

I mean there is nothing wrong with the 10F of course.
Except that they aren't really cheap.
btw, the 8ohm version of the 10F is slightly better than de 4ohm version.

I agree, it isn't a cheap driver. But it has excellent properties for line array duty. We've gone over quite a few in the last pages but I'll admit my heart was already set on the Scan. :)
It is a very clean performing driver and sibling to the Vifa/Peerless TC9. I wouldn't have thought of moving in this direction if I didn't encounter 6 drivers with the same failure. Corrosion between lead wire and voice coil, possibly due to storage in slightly damp conditions.

Sounds like you just have to try wesayso!?

50 10F drivers is quite an investment...

Maybe we (the diyaudio community) should help wesayso in building his dream?

I will chip in 10 drivers to start with.
Anyone who wants to help?

(PS me if you want to help)

With such a push in the right direction I'll most certainly go for it! :eek:
Highly appreciated and what an awesome initiative!

I agree, it isn't a cheap driver. But it has excellent properties for line array duty. We've gone over quite a few in the last pages but I'll admit my heart was already set on the Scan. :)
It is a very clean performing driver and sibling to the Vifa/Peerless TC9. I wouldn't have thought of moving in this direction if I didn't encounter 6 drivers with the same failure. Corrosion between lead wire and voice coil, possibly due to storage in slightly damp conditions.
Gotcha,

Yeah, really bad move from Tymhany.
I don't even consider your situation as a professional environment.
I have seen and used speakers on a far more professional level, in these very harsh conditions some are even fine after 10 years.

Smells like some bad kind of saving from Tymphany's side.

I just received a response from the European importer of Tymphany.

Tymphany isn't aware of similar problems as what happened to me. It is possible I got a bad batch.
It is still available if one orders it in a quantity of 2000 units.

Availability of the TC9 seems to follow the TG9. :eek:

Seeing how a number of sites I contacted expect to have them back on the shelves by September/October (with a possible delay due to the world wide pandemic) I think a batch will be made by then.

Sorry, no confirmation from Tymphany that the materials have been altered to prevent problems like mine from happening. Actually, I asked the same question to Tymphany and no answer from them. Never had one, really.

In general I see lots of products moving by Tymphany lately.
Even most distributors say only minimum quantities, the rest is all stuff they already have stocked up.

To get a decent idea which model will be available, just look at Digikey. (yes, they sell Tymphany speakers)
As soon as they say minimum order is 250+ or something, you know enough.

I haven't figured out yet if they just want to (back) use one main distributor (Digikey?) or maybe even see DIY as a dead end.
That last part is extremely sad, not just for DIY'ers but also for the vast majority of small businesses and start-ups.

As for your technical question, I really really doubt you will ever get an answer to that.
Even from business to business these kind of issues become more and more a no-go zone it seems. In general, not just one specific company.
Which is extremely unfortunate.

I find 2000 MOQ insane.

Most competitors will do 250 MOQ easily.
In China you will find companies that do even way less, around 50 MOQ no problem.

We can only guess why that is, but doesn't sound like a product they would like to keep (hence the big MOQ number), for whatever reason.

Pure 100% speculating, but that could as well being production issues.
But who knows what kind of other things work (cost) behind the scene.

So I bit the bullet. Call me crazy but I've ordered the 10F's I have lusted after...
I did not take mvs0 up on his offer cause that kinda made me feel like this ;):

attachment.php

I did appreciate the gesture and it kind of gave me the last nudge to go for it. He (among others) also helped me in getting a good enough offer, much appreciated!
I'll get a few drivers to play with while waiting for the next production run to happen. I've already started to look at the filters, seeing if they need modification.
I see a couple of very minor changes but will wait till I measure the driver myself (I traced an impedance curve so far).

It will probably be a while before this upgrade will be finished, I'll take my time with it and try to do it as right as I can. I'm in no hurry.
Meanwhile the speakers still work and I can keep them running for the time being. As I get more fit again, a change of driver should only be
an afternoon's work.

Attachments

• not homeless.jpg
    not homeless.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 329
Last edited: