The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Merlin,
what is your range of mains voltage?
Have you calculated the effect on secondary voltage when mains is at maximum tolerance and at minimum tolerance?
Have you checked what the devices will be subjected to over this range of voltages?

If you can't design this for your self then you should not be modifying the circuit.
If you need a new design, you should ask way back at the beginning if someone will design it for you. This constant asking questions and revealing only a tiny part of the story is quite frustrating.

Maybe others have a lot more patience than me.
Sorry, I guess this has offended you, but I have said this before. If you can't do the arithmetic then you can never get beyond copying a known good design.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
AndrewT,

Mains voltage range is AC voltage? if yes I can measure & I will tell you.
How can calculate max & min tolerance on secondary? with & whitout load?
No I haven't checked but I supposed the designer (Salas) checked for us.

I don't want to modify the circuit, only I want to measure 55VDC after the reg.
I don't need a new design, for me is enough Salas design, sorry if a disturb you asking constant questions is due to the fact that I don't know how to solve, if you need more information feel free to ask & I will give you.

I'm sorry, I don't want that you lose the patience with me.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Before the reg, DCin. I asked where you put the R because getting the CCS Mos cold was fishy about current limiting. It goes in series with the current setting R1 that way you used your extra R you see, plus it almost starves the LEDs and tail CCS when big enough in value.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
AndrewT,

Mains voltage range is AC voltage? if yes I can measure & I will tell you.
How can calculate max & min tolerance on secondary? with & whitout load?
No I haven't checked but I supposed the designer (Salas) checked for us.

I don't need a new design, for me is enough Salas design, sorry if a disturb you asking constant questions is due to the fact that I don't know how to solve, if you need more information feel free to ask & I will give you.

I'm sorry, I don't want that you lose the patience with me.

Sorry for mistake, I only want to measure 55VDC before the regulator.

Merlin,
the 240Vac mains voltage in the UK is specified as 216Vac to 254Vac. This is a wide tolerance to allow unification with the European 220Vac.

In days long gone our voltage used to be 240Vac +-6%.

Every country has a variable mains voltage. Every country will have a transformer that gives out a different secondary voltage dependent on the mains voltage at that time. This has nothing to do with the transformer being off load or on load.

Contact your mains electricity supplier and ask them to specify the range of mains voltage they are selling to you.

As soon as you change a component in a design you have modified that design. No designer can give you a performance guarantee if you change components from their published design.

You want to use different currents and different regulated voltages. This requires modification to the published design.
Either get someone to design that for you or learn to do it yourself.

If you came up with a regulator brief and specification I, or Salas, or many others would design the regulator for you. Instead you ask dozens of different questions and we don't know where you are coming from or going to.

Make up some rules so we can play the game with you. You do that by defining the brief.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Merlin,
the 240Vac mains voltage in the UK is specified as 216Vac to 254Vac. This is a wide tolerance to allow unification with the European 220Vac.

In days long gone our voltage used to be 240Vac +-6%.

Every country has a variable mains voltage. Every country will have a transformer that gives out a different secondary voltage dependent on the mains voltage at that time. This has nothing to do with the transformer being off load or on load.

Contact your mains electricity supplier and ask them to specify the range of mains voltage they are selling to you.

As soon as you change a component in a design you have modified that design. No designer can give you a performance guarantee if you change components from their published design.

You want to use different currents and different regulated voltages. This requires modification to the published design.
Either get someone to design that for you or learn to do it yourself.

If you came up with a regulator brief and specification I, or Salas, or many others would design the regulator for you. Instead you ask dozens of different questions and we don't know where you are coming from or going to.

Make up some rules so we can play the game with you. You do that by defining the brief.

AndrewT, the problem isn't the regulator, the problem is that I need to reduce the voltage from mine Tx because now is giving yesterday afternoon 63,5VDC (today morning 63,9VDC) after PSU rectification & I need 55VDC to feed the regulator, how can reduce the voltage in mine PSU to get 55VDC?

Last edited:
Merlin,
you don't seem to realise that the mains voltage will vary considerably depending on the demand and the time of day/night.

This mains variation will change the voltage at the input of the regulator.

You must design the regulator to work properly and without damage over the full range of input voltages.

You do not know what your range of voltage is. You cannot design the regulator until you know what specification it must meet. Neither can we.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now using 1r + 4u7 as a zobel on the output of the 37v v12 regs..... much more detail and easy presentation.... better transients and more detailed bass.

Now using 0.5r + 4u7 on the zobel......:):):)

There is a great improvement in speed...

I sense a difference between the several types of resistors used. (Some sound much clearer than others :)

Amazing results indeed !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.