The XSD Speaker

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thanks X!
The reason of my question was this picture, where the woofers are in one line per side:

1651189296491.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi X, do you have a recommendation for the physical layout of the xo, I mean how to place the parts in order to prevent microphony and further influences of the parts? Because there are many parts in this xo, so the fun part begins :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Plott,
From post 1 is a good layout that seems to work.

Wires are: input from amp is on left, tweeter is on top, midrange out is wire on lower right side, bass is lower left side.

1651186145407-jpeg.1049111

Remember to make the coils orthogonal in axis and placed father apart if possible.

You could also copy this placement - the 3 large film caps on the top are two for the woofer in parallel and one for the midrange high pass.

1656019184946-jpeg.1066146

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Almost finished, 4 zip ties still missing... but at the end it will look like this:

XO_20220814_2.jpg

And some p2p wiring. I always drill the legs together and when I use a wire, I insert the blank wire to the leg and only then do I solder them together,
so that the metallic connection is made by the material of the wire and the parts leg, and not by the solder.

PSX_20220814_160308.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Many thanks Veeresh! I'm curious about the progress of your build.
Please ignore the mess, I have to store the speakers in the basement for now as I have an event at the home next weekend. But, the finish is lovely on these cabinets, he's indeed a master craftsman (thanks for the recommendation again, X!). I am still deciding on which way to go for the finish.. thinking about Watco danish oil or monocoat. Anyway, here are some photos for now:

PXL_20220814_223403216.jpg
PXL_20220814_223607765.jpg
PXL_20220814_223621744.jpg

EDIT: The photos and the light really don't do justice to how good they look and feel in person.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow those look phenomenal! I assume you must be within a relatively close distance to X's cabinet maker? As I get closer to starting, I wonder if it would just be better to go with a professional for these.
I am closer to X than to the cabinet maker, but it's not that bad. He's about 40 odd miles away and I love driving there on a Sunday morning as it's peaceful with less traffic and the drive is really nice (country side). These are probably going to be my main speakers and I wanted them done by someone who knows what they're doing :).