The XSD Speaker

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I got a question from Bryguy on how to do the Noico on the driver baskets. Basically a small rectangle on each leg and a long strip around the interface of the basket and magnet assembly. Push it all down with a blunt object so that the sticky rubber adheres to the basket and magnet assembly. I don’t think the strips on the back of the magnet are needed but I put some there just for insurance.
1656106335154.jpeg

You can test the efficacy by tapping on the basket before and after. The distortion spectrum shows a marked decrease in the 200Hz region after it is applied.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow XR this is one beautiful Speaker.
Is there even dispersion for lets say 4 People on a couch from150hz to about 300hz?
I never tried my Ripols crossed higher then 100hz.
Would you see any potencial problem of having four 3FE25 on the open baffle instead of the PVR?

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, the sweet spot is very wide because the dipole nature of the SLOB bass array. I can walk about the room and not experience the deep room modes that conventional speakers have. The vertical array height reduces the effect of floor bounce dips. Four 3FE25 could work well but you might have some comb interference vertically. Price of four 3FE25 is not much less than PRV 5MR450NDY.

Yes, the sweet spot is very wide because the dipole nature of the SLOB bass array. I can walk about the room and not experience the deep room modes that conventional speakers have. The vertical array height reduces the effect of floor bounce dips. Four 3FE25 could work well but you might have some comb interference vertically. Price of four 3FE25 is not much less than PRV 5MR450NDY.
Does the wide sweet spot extend throughout the whole frequency response? For example, what are your subjective thoughts on the vertical dispersion of the tweeter?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, the wide sweet spot most of the audio bandwidth. It’s definitely not a speaker that requires you to have your head in a small narrow zone. With regards to vertical dispersion, I don’t notice anything when I move my head up and down when sitting at the correct listening height with your head about where the midrange driver is. The listening axis is the midrange height.

Yes, the wide sweet spot most of the audio bandwidth. It’s definitely not a speaker that requires you to have your head in a small narrow zone. With regards to vertical dispersion, I don’t notice anything when I move my head up and down when sitting at the correct listening height with your head about where the midrange driver is. The listening axis is the midrange height.
That's awesome to hear!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just got the DHL tracking number so they are on their way to me now.
1656598612534.jpeg

Also, the iron core inductors are being custom made for the XSD crossover GB and should be shipping by this Monday. They will look like the same ones from the production crossovers:
1656598856089.jpeg

Things moving along finally. Thanks for your patience.

Reactions: 1 user