The XSD Speaker

A nice sounding 2 way speaker. I got it for $250, so I can’t complain. Nice dispersion with the horn. It’s a bit bright sounding so I padded the tweeter with a 5ohm resistor. Luckily it has dual binding posts so that was easy. I have a whole thread on this speaker here.
Oh interesting I'll check that out. I used to have a pair, but my solution to its brightness was to sell it 😋

Well if you already had it and sold it, I’m not sure it is worth getting again unless you have a need for a smaller standmount. It’s really too big to be considered a “bookshelf” speaker as it is rather a tall cabinet.

Also, once you hear your XSD’s it will be tough to go back to a commercial 5in 2-way. :)
I believe it! Honestly, I did not like the 530 whatsoever so I really have no interest in revisiting it anyhow. Would be interested to hear how it sounds with the tweeter attenuation though

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
I just got some bad news from Parts Express, they moved the shipment date for the back ordered iron core inductors to August 12. I think that’s too long to wait. I will have to look for another source and get the alternates delivered in 2 weeks. The electronic parts shortages is hitting inductors even. Sorry for the delay. The original ship date was June 20.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On the bench tonight is a quick impedance sweep of the XSD production crossover as installed in the XSD speaker using DATS2. The measured data (red) is superimposed with the predicted (blue) curve from Xsim shows almost a perfect match. This indicates that the XO component values are very close to the specified values.

1655790602568.png

What we have here is an extremely easy to drive load for an amp capable of 4ohms output. The impedance varies smoothly from about 3.4ohms to 7ohms with a woofer resonance peak of only 10ohms at 50Hz. This means that most amps won't have a hard time because the impedance does not have large value peaks, nor ultra low value dips and the values vary smoothly.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I can offer you the crossover as a Kit only since this is a commercial speaker design. Since the GB is over, the kits have to be individually ordered unless there is enough interest for a GB number 2. The cost for a post-GB kit will be a little more due to the extra work involved.

There has been some interest by others in a woofer only version of the XSD to be used with other full range tops. The easiest way is to go active amplification with DSP.

Hi Folks,
I just got some bad news from Parts Express, they moved the shipment date for the back ordered iron core inductors to August 12. I think that’s too long to wait. I will have to look for another source and get the alternates delivered in 2 weeks. The electronic parts shortages is hitting inductors even. Sorry for the delay. The original ship date was June 20.
No worries, it'll get me some time to get the cabinets built :). I just ordered the drivers earlier today, should be here in a week or so.

No worries, it'll get me some time to get the cabinets built :). I just ordered the drivers earlier today, should be here in a week or so.
Make sure to document and share your build progress/process with us!

I can offer you the crossover as a Kit only since this is a commercial speaker design. Since the GB is over, the kits have to be individually ordered unless there is enough interest for a GB number 2. The cost for a post-GB kit will be a little more due to the extra work involved.

There has been some interest by others in a woofer only version of the XSD to be used with other full range tops. The easiest way is to go active amplification with DSP.
X, should we redact specific measurements/dimensions unless through private messages, when sharing our build logs?

Wow those look great! I can't wait to see a real picture of the final product!

I don't love the black cabinet with the wood finished mid/hi baffle cutout. It is unassuming, but but kind of clashing and just a bit "off" to my eyes. The rest look great to me though!