The XSD Speaker

Yes good to have an alternative, but I would not ask to rework the crossover for all the work you and Bloghead put into it. PRV got back to me and said they should be back in stock in “ a month or so” I don’t blame X and I am still waiting 6 months for some relays from mouser so that’s just the way of things today.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I wanted to ask about the acoustic egg crate foam used on the inside of the wings. X, how did you affix it to the wood, hot glue I assume? I've mounted egg crate paneling with 3M poster mounting strips and it was not a great long term solution. Although far more costly, how would something like dynamat or noico work in place of the egg crate foam?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I used double sided tape initially but that wasn’t very secure. I used hot melt glue for best results. It needs to prevent hard surface reflections so Noico won’t work. You can use thick felt or melamine sponges too. The melamine is probably best. BASF Basotect melamine foam in grey color would be ideal. It might work well without it for you - give it a listen.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did not use a gasket for the woofers. The seal between wood and bare metal frame was good enough given the large open slot on the front. I did not recess the woofer. If you do, it’s not going to adversely affect the response due to volume change. The upper end falloff is mostly dictated by slot depth.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Slow going but I've begun. I have a week of warmish weather so hoping I can get some significant work done on them. My tentative plan is to use T-nuts and threaded inserts on the ledgers to mount the wings. On the wings I'll use a forstner bit to inset the machine screws and washers I'll use. I'll probably use some locktite or something similar on the screws just to ensure everything's stable once fully assembled, but I'm intending to assemble in a way so the wings are removable for tinkering, etc, but appealing. Black paint, black inset machine screws. Given that, would a very thin gasket where the wings join the speaker be worthwhile just to ensure a good airtight seal?

Attachments

• xsd1.jpg
    xsd1.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: 5 users
Slow going but I've begun. I have a week of warmish weather so hoping I can get some significant work done on them. My tentative plan is to use T-nuts and threaded inserts on the ledgers to mount the wings. On the wings I'll use a forstner bit to inset the machine screws and washers I'll use. I'll probably use some locktite or something similar on the screws just to ensure everything's stable once fully assembled, but I'm intending to assemble in a way so the wings are removable for tinkering, etc, but appealing. Black paint, black inset machine screws. Given that, would a very thin gasket where the wings join the speaker be worthwhile just to ensure a good airtight seal?
You might consider using a peelable caulk or rope caulk; both used for weatherstripping, and easily removed. I'd favor the first as it will provide some holding power as well.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Appreciate the documentation! Will be repeating this soon, so its nice to see how someone is actually assembling these!
Will be collecting a few new tools for this. I would like the side removeable if possible, so your method is right up the alley that I see!
Again, thanks for taking point here!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Did you cut your own side wings? I was going to farm it out, but it wouldn't be that bad.

Russellc

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I actually went over to my uncles house, he's been making classical guitars since 1975, we did the first one on his table saw. Routed one and a half, but his bit was pretty dull and probably burning more than cutting, so we finished off the third with the table saw and then did the fourth on the saw as well. For the rounded bit we just drilled a 1/2" or 3/4" hole before we hit the saw. We also extended the platforms depth by one inch, and the wings scaled accordingly.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I'm not sure what everyone is planning on doing for binding posts for their XSD's, but I just got these in from aliexpress, https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803529393230.html specifically the L65 model, they are roughly 2.5" x 1.75" x 1/8" (not including the foam gasket). I swapped out the binding posts themselves for some nice Viborg posts. Originally I was going to go with a set of plates from parts-express, but theirs were all too large for my liking.

binding plates.jpg