The XSD Speaker

I'm moving to a small place (I should say dream place except for the fact that many of my speakers won't fit anymore!), about 450 sq.feet (30 m.sq) and I'm afraid I won't have the space for open back bass stack.

What would happen if one would cover the back opening, retaining the front slots only?
Would that work?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Is this 450 Sq ft of luxury high rise in Taipei? I stayed at the Shangri-La hotel once. The view from the 43rd floor was amazing.
1669957246485.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, that hotel is quite amazing, but I am not a city guy!

Ocean side for me! :)
The view from my small land (and my camper waiting to get a parking spot on the land!)
There's a 2km beach right down the small road, a surfing beach 1.2km away, and an amazing snorkeling spot 8-min drive away.
I'm absolutely in love with that place, but it will be small, so downsizing everything.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 7.23.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 2.25.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 2.25.44 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
X needs to build a line of equipment for the tiny house rage. Come to think of it it has been done they are called headphones.
he he!
Actually, I was going to put a pair of TABAQs in there. MLTL with their size and output usually work quite well in small spaces.

But I would love having a small column of bass one day. I've been meaning to do that for a while.

I live in a tiny house that I built 30 plus years ago. My listening space is 15 ft square by 7 1/2 ft high. X told me that is similar to the space where he tests all of his designs. Currently I'm using micro Trynergy's which sound so fabulous that it's almost like being there. And I spent my entire life as a musician listening to these instruments up close. I wish I had a huge space which I know would sound even better, but seriously this is way good enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Perceval,
I am envious of your beach life! People never think of Taiwan as having a salt-life beach scene but it sure looks fabulous with beaches all around. I assume this is on the Eastern side? Good luck on the house construction!

The room size you describe is about the same size as my lab. It should work superbly. The room modes for bass just disappear when I used XSD. You never think open baffle can be that deep and powerful, but it can be spectacular.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in a tiny house that I built 30 plus years ago. My listening space is 15 ft square by 7 1/2 ft high. X told me that is similar to the space where he tests all of his designs. Currently I'm using micro Trynergy's which sound so fabulous that it's almost like being there. And I spent my entire life as a musician listening to these instruments up close. I wish I had a huge space which I know would sound even better, but seriously this is way good enough.
I think I remember you also built the mini-karlsonators, right?
So, now it's the Trynergy? I've been away so I will have to look it up!

Hi Perceval,
I am envious of your beach life! People never think of Taiwan as having a salt-life beach scene but it sure looks fabulous with beaches all around. I assume this is on the Eastern side? Good luck on the house construction!

The room size you describe is about the same size as my lab. It should work superbly. The room modes for bass just disappear when I used XSD. You never think open baffle can be that deep and powerful, but it can be spectacular.
I know! People think "made in Taiwan", right? Factory place.
But indeed, the east coast is a magical place. It is clean and gorgeous. In fact, a very famous Hawaiian moved here a couple years ago, seeing it as a small Hawaii, but costing 1/10 for living here. We've been sharing waves since. Aloha!

Alright, so, your room and my projected living room are about the same. How far from any wall is the XSD? I am still enamored by OB, but I thought this was way too small to resolve it. I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

PS. If you ever come back around here, we'll be glad to have you as a guest! I'll show you around my little corner of the world.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Looking at a variant of XSD in all MDF and finished in a unique texture. All made in USA. Would folks be interested in a CNC MDF flatpack?

View attachment 1116269
View attachment 1116270

I am very happy with how this turned out and to know that it will be made in Texas by a small company is awesome.
It looks sooooo great, I would be very happy if mine was in this condition!
Maybe next year, I don't give up.