Using the HYPNOTIZE as a general shunt reg PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ampohm has long leads I think. That would help attaching. 10uf will decouple low enough. Maybe you can bend the leads to the 100uF original positions and put them under the board. Use a 10nF like MKP1837 directly there to decouple the long leads parasitic, on top of the board.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
NO. Skip 100uF lytics for those two positions behind the Tx triple connector. Plastic caps underneath board because big, get their legs to each 100uF position, solder under board. On top there will be empty. There solder 10nF in parallel meeting the legs from underneath.

Well,

I built up my shunt reg from one of the hypnotize boards. This one is to supply +/- 30V to an ono phonostage. I'm not quite 100% certain of the current requirement - I've seen +120mA, -80mA but I'm unsure whether that's per channel or for the 2 channels.

Either way, I calculated a 3.3K for the Vset resistor which very nicely gets me just a tiny bit below 30V each side. For now at least, I have the ICCS set to around 330mA (6.8R) until I am clearer on the current draw required. With no load attached the heatsinks get to 35 degC above ambient within about 15 mins - depending on the current draw of the ono, i may need to change the current set resistors.

Other than that, the build was uneventful, worked out OK and more or less went as per the first post here.

Thanks Salas for the informative first post (and the design). I intend making up a few more of these for other things....

Fran

Salas

I built a +5/-15 supply with the hypnotize board. It is for a 1541 dac, so the current is small (20-30mA). I set R1 for both sides with a 21R resistor and plan to power with 22 vDC on each side. Is 22 volts drop on the plus side over the limit, given the current is so low? I calculated that the positive fet will have about 1 watt. I am about to try it out, but thought I would wait for your input.

A related question, I was thinking about adding a second Vreg section in series with the first in order to either deal with a higher voltage drop, or to get a second lower voltage, let's say 3V. So the question is have you tried using one ccs stage in front of two or more regulator stages either in series or parallel, to power dacs or other devices that require multiple voltages?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas

I built a +5/-15 supply with the hypnotize board. It is for a 1541 dac, so the current is small (20-30mA). I set R1 for both sides with a 21R resistor and plan to power with 22 vDC on each side. Is 22 volts drop on the plus side over the limit, given the current is so low? I calculated that the positive fet will have about 1 watt. I am about to try it out, but thought I would wait for your input.

A related question, I was thinking about adding a second Vreg section in series with the first in order to either deal with a higher voltage drop, or to get a second lower voltage, let's say 3V. So the question is have you tried using one ccs stage in front of two or more regulator stages either in series or parallel, to power dacs or other devices that require multiple voltages?

Use a little sink instead of laborious schemes.

For the second part, no I have not tested such.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sorry jims, I'm not sure.... I suppose try it and see?

Salas, turns out the ono will draw 500mA +and -. So then to get twice the current, that would mean 1A each side (2.2R resistor). Is that too high? Should I think about cutting back the current to say 750mA or something?

Fran

750mA sounds adequate if 500mA is true. You can verify what Ono asks for, by using 1R test resistor on its psu inputs in series and calculate the real draw. 500mA should show 0.5V drop across the 1R for instance. Then you can take it out and set the CCS accordingly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.