What the heck? It's less than lunch!

Please excuse the crumby photos.
Here are 2 examples of the little stereos that I’m making with these lunch box amps. Could you knowledgable guys advise me if I am not running the wires properly or how to make it better. I have not properly twisted the wires on the unfinished one. I am always concerned about grounding in wooden boxes.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 429
Wooden enclosures

I put all my amps in wooden enclosures and never have any sort of noise/grounding problems.

I'm certainly no expert, but your wiring looks fine to me. My wiring is much "looser" shall we say? A lot less neat. No problems. The amps seem fairly forgiving in that respect.

MW

Interesting. The datasheet states maximum output current of two amps. I assume that is for the entire chip? Are you saying that 4 amps of current are lost as heat? At 18 volts, that would be 72 watts of heat to dissipate. Am I right?
If 50% efficiency, half of 6 amperes is 3. I have no idea where the 1 ampere got lost, but it usually does. No matter how much I'd like to know, I'm sort of afraid of the answer. Actually, I have no idea how you do 2*22W on only 4a at the rated voltage. That is in the datasheet.

Example: 22.5 VDC × 2 Ampere = 45 Watt? 45 Watt × 90% = 40.5 Watt for music? Like 2×20 Watt?
I also want to understand...

You and me both! Not sure where the 22.5 volts came from, as the max voltage is 18. But let's use 16 volts and an 8 ohm speaker load. Remember, 16 volts peak equals 11.312 volts RMS. From Rod Elliott (kind of)...

The power output is determined by the load impedance
and the available voltage and current of the amplifier.
An amplifier that is capable of a maximum of 2A output
current will be unable to provide more just because
you want it to. Such an amp will be limited to
16W "RMS" into 8 ohms, regardless of the supply voltage.
Likewise, an amp with a supply voltage of +16V
will be unable to provide more than 16W RMS into
8 ohms, regardless of the available current. Having
more current available will allow the amp to
provide (for example) 32W into 4 ohms (4A peak current)
or 64W into 2 ohms (8A peak current), but will
give no more power into 8 ohms than the supply
voltage will allow.

Does this make sense?

I assume by 90% you are referring to the efficiency of the amp? At that rate, the amp would draw 2.222 amps input to get 2 amps output, I think.

HZ is out of production and like any type that is, suddenly they appear in china :)
Water is a very low esr electrolytic and chinese water based electrolytics do not last long, but that may be reason Nichicon discontinued them too, where some failure reports I believe. 20.000 hours for the polymer :)