Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Lets digest the surround contribution.... could be hard to avoid that to ring.. (pun intended...)

//

Attachments

• surr_absorb.png
    surr_absorb.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 451
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Lets digest the surround contribution.... could be hard to avoid that to ring.. (pun intended...)

//
Maybe it does ring, I don't know, but I would guess that it will be too high in freqency to bother.

More I wonder about the direction of vibration of the surround rings - as modeled. Maybe the axial direction is not the best approach. Obviously, it is not moving axially, at least not the outer ring. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now I have a problem - I took the demo9 example (a free standing horn) and removed the subdomain interface from the scripts, i.e. now there's only one (exterior) subdomain. And something is obviously wrong and I can't figure out what. :headbash:

Maybe someone else would see what I can't for some reason -

Attachments

• demo9.zip
    40.1 KB · Views: 53
schucks i can't run it on my system....oh well...gedam windoz!
If you are serious about getting it running I'm sure I or someone else can help you do that but I do wonder if that is the case.

apparently not compatible with my version of windoz and something about 32 or 64 bitz

Works fine here

attachment.php

This is how I open it with a shortcut on the desktop. Change the start in location to where you have the ath files saved. The quotes are necessary if there is a space in the filename.

attachment.php

This is the only part of the process that isn't covered completely in the user guide.

Attachments

• Ath4.6.jpg
    Ath4.6.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 792
  • Shortcut.jpg
    Shortcut.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 801
fluid> maybe you could help me get this working. I've made a shortcut for ath.exe on my desktop and changed the Properties>Target to System32/cmd.exe as you have. I'm just trying to run demo1.cfg but no luck. What am I doing wrong? BTW what is the difference between running cmd.exe out of System32 versus typing and selecting cmd.exe from the search bar?

OMWxjxO.png

EDIT: looks like I need to modify output folder

Last edited:
Ok, got the program to run on demo1.cfg. Prior to this I had added the dome source code from the user manual. However, when I open the Project.abec for demo1 it still shows the idealized source. The Project.abec file was updated when I ran ath.exe, so it must be my syntax when I added the dome source code to the .cfg, see attached.

Attachments

• demo1.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Project.abec file was updated when I ran ath.exe, so it must be my syntax when I added the dome source code to the .cfg, see attached.
It works for me (the cfg file you attached) so the source code is fine. You should see a line "-reading source contour file" in the printed output of the program.

Attachments

• demo_dome.PNG
    demo_dome.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 96
However, when I open the Project.abec for demo1 it still shows the idealized source. The Project.abec file was updated when I ran ath.exe, so it must be my syntax when I added the dome source code to the .cfg, see attached.

I copied your example code from the text file and ran it,

I don't know know what happened with yours but it gave me a dome :) Edit Mabat beat me to it ;)

attachment.php

In ABEC you can show and hide the elements with a tab on the right hand side. This will show you which Drive components were meshed. It is easier to see when the interface and waveguide are turned off.

Mabat's image above is from Gmsh, if you download the Gmsh program you can open the .msh file in the project directory if you prefer that to opening ABEC. Are you using ABEC or AKABAK3?

Attachments

• Demo Dome.jpg
    Demo Dome.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, with the source definition script you can model and simulate basically anything you want, like any other horn profile or throat geometry (i.e. completely replace the ATH geometry by your own). Check the demo10.cfg (section 7.7 in the user guide) to see how it's done. The only limitation is that it must be axisymmetric.

It's also good for simulating a more complex source wavefronts, e.g. for compression drivers - again, if axisymmetric. For example, the radial amplitude profile can be set easily.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That would be too complex to implement just for fun, I'm afraid. Maybe what I could do is to save each mesh part as a separate file (STL?) that could be edited manually outside the current processing chain. You could modify the waveguide surface mesh (add holes, etc.), save it back and run the simulation. But I would have to think this through, this is just an idea.