Klipscheads Unite!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Itchy finger got the best of me…ordered some PRV WG45-50.

They’re just too affordable to resist.

Of course the D2200ph were just as tempting and fell in my cart…along with some of the Dayton H07E waveguides and adapters. 🤷‍♂️

I wanted to try using the WG45-50 with the used BMS 4590 coaxials I have anyway. I figured that would be the easiest way to get up and running since I already have a pair of passive crossovers for them.

Once I sort out what I want to do regarding a crossover I can pursue something more
LaScala-ish with a separate mid and tweeter.

Not sure I’ll be thrilled with the aesthetics of the little H07E waveguides (the SMAHLs are so pretty)…but they’re a cheap alternative to try with the Celestion tweeters I already have.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm curious to see how the coax drivers work for you. It seems like it should be the mama bear between the K-402 and the K-510. That said, the D2200Ph is fantastic in a 3-way alignment. a number of guys are using the H07E with the Celestion driver and have nothing but great things to say about it, but I'm partial to my sMAHL and L-MAHL lenses, if only because they're so blingy.

Itchy finger got the best of me…ordered some PRV WG45-50.

They’re just too affordable to resist.

Of course the D2200ph were just as tempting and fell in my cart…along with some of the Dayton H07E waveguides and adapters. 🤷‍♂️

I wanted to try using the WG45-50 with the used BMS 4590 coaxials I have anyway. I figured that would be the easiest way to get up and running since I already have a pair of passive crossovers for them.

Once I sort out what I want to do regarding a crossover I can pursue something more
LaScala-ish with a separate mid and tweeter.

Not sure I’ll be thrilled with the aesthetics of the little H07E waveguides (the SMAHLs are so pretty)…but they’re a cheap alternative to try with the Celestion tweeters I already have.
The BMS-4590's are monsters! You will no doubt need some PEQ on the WG45-50 to smooth out the high frequencies and boost them up.

The great thing about the D2200Ph/WG45-50 combo is the extremely flat frequency response from 400Hz~7kHz. No EQ/PEQ needed.

The H07E horn is actually bigger than it looks. It is 6(W) x 6 (H). It kind of grows on you looks wise. What Celestion tweeter driver do you have?

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Celestion is CDX1-1445

https://www.parts-express.com/Celes...-1-Compression-Driver-20W-294-2120?quantity=1

Originally bought them with intentions of building Waslo’s CoSyne…sort of…was gonna try and modify the B-52 TE-8180 horns instead if building from scratch.

They aeem very similar to the B&C DE 10/110/120

Maybe I get lucky?

P.S. I also have some round pretty wooden tweeter waveguides …unknown profile…with stands for on top of cabinet. However, sliding them back to time align seems like it would create diffraction issues. Hoping the ellipticals might do better with a stand in that scenario.

Last edited:
Why such a big horn just for the tweeter? You may get better results/coverage from a smaller horn.
A couple of reasons, some of which probably don't make much sense, lol.

I am more concerned with the bottom of the tweeter's range than the top and I hope that bigger horns might be more effective there.

I want a 90x40 degree coverage pattern to match the K400 mid horns.

The Celestrons look similar to the B&C horns but are a bit cheaper.

I have seen the Jubilee speakers, and I love how the giant horn looks, so I got the biggest 1 inch throat horn with the right pattern that I could find.

What would you suggest instead?

Pete

Joined 2008
Paid Member
After going back and forth between various new and used crossover options over the past week I finally decided to pull the trigger on a pair of clean looking HIE I was watching on eBay.

I was looking for an AA so I could at least have a basic crossover to try “out of the box”.

Most of the AAs I came across looked like a$$ unless they had already been rebuilt…and then they averaged about $400…and would have to have components adjusted anyway.

At least this way I get some clean looking original autoformers (which will allow adjustments as needed) and the boards, barrier strips etc…all for $10 more than the 3636 alone from Crites.

Plus they’re local pickup so no shipping as long as I wait for my wife to go into her office in NY or a relative can swing by.

At least I’ll have something to work with now if I want to try driving this project with a single amp.

0B6C3DE9-22EF-4E6C-A879-8A2537BB4912.jpeg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys!
I just saw this thread. I used to do warranty service on Klipsch product late 80's through to 1998 when I sold my business. Cool, love the product.

I use THX 6000 (without sub) on my service bench and RP-280f in the bedroom. Outfitted people with RP-8000f and a good friend just installed a pair of Jubilee speakers. I have to say, these are the best I have ever heard at any price point even in his inappropriate room (too small). Maybe some day I can replace my PSB Stratus Gold with the RP-7III. There's a wish!

The barrier strips on those crossovers (above) are you best connection. Use spades instead of Banana plugs for your main connections.

-Chris

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Not yet…the seller was only available weekends. I’m supposed to go by on Sunday.

In the mean time, the PRV WG 45-50 horns and d2200ph CDs arrived along with the little Dayton h07e and adapters.

Everything looks good. I was impressed with the thickness of the horns…looks to be at least 1/4”. The CDs also have some heft to them.

I am a little concerned that the horns may resonate. I’ll probably want to add some damping to them.

Everything looks good. I was impressed with the thickness of the horns…looks to be at least 1/4”. The CDs also have some heft to them.

I am a little concerned that the horns may resonate. I’ll probably want to add some damping to them.
No need to worry about horn resonance with the wg45-50. It’s completely not an issue.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
That makes sense and is what I would hope for.

I’m not sure how this project will develop yet.

The first priority should be to get the low frequency LaScala horns operational and presentable if I want to use them anywhere besides the basement.

After that I can imagine things could get a bit chaotic with the various midrange options I have at hand.

I’m not sure I would necessarily execute a finished upper cabinet right away if I’ve not tried a few options first. Although I have thought if I build one it should be modular and allow substitution of various horns and drivers.

I’ve been reviewing the schematic for the PRV horn/driver scenario and comparing it to a standard Klipsch AA and HIE. Trying to wrap my head around the various modifications and additions.

I’ve been reviewing the schematic for the PRV horn/driver scenario and comparing it to a standard Klipsch AA and HIE. Trying to wrap my head around the various modifications and additions.
@THD+N & @Dave MacKay can also chime in, but don't discount multi-amping with a DSP crossover. It's an order of magnitude better than passive and Class D amps like the Ayima-07, Fosi Audio V-3 & ZA 3 make it quite affordable. for about the same price (perhaps a little more) as an AA crossover from Crites, you can get 3 amps, a DSP crossover like a Dayton Audio DSP-408 and a measuring mic to dial it all in and the sound is quite a bit better.