NE5534A end of life announced

Most go for NE5534 but they changed the prefix to SA for industrial temp grade, so sa5534ap is the top dog in a dip-8 :) Not that you are going to hear any difference imo.
I bought10 of them in soic-8 for Samuel Groner's low noise pre-amp. I still have an old ne5533 in dip-16, I used it a pre-amp design in the late 70's :) that was the first in the series to be axed.

Outside today, around these parts, it is a perfect cold testing environment. No Thermotron required :)

At Motorola they had a walkin Thermotron, that was set up for production testing 40 2-way radios VHF/UHF (MCX100).
Eventually they did away with it, just too expensive to run, (revert to sample test only) let the customer (cops and the like) figure out if it does not work at +/- 40C :)
Lots of fun repairing a radio that works just fine at room temp but fails at -40C.

Iirc the ne5534 was developed by Signetics at the time owned by Philips Semiconductor who eventually became NXP and later spinoffs Nexperia and WeEn
From what I have read philips discontinued them in the early 2000’s so others like TI and onsemi continue til this day but even them are phasing out the part, it’s been a good life for a part

Last edited:
Just buy TI TL 07x or 08x series chips, their higher slew rate is an advantage when listening to CD and later recordings, bandwidth on those is higher at 120 dB, vinyl was 60 dB on a good day.
My figures may be off.
And the TI chips are plentiful in supply.
TLO series is no match for legendary 5534A, so please write with caution. Higher slew rate means nothing if other specs are worse, which is in the case of TLO. Although it's ok for mediocre audio stuff but it's nowhere near 5534 standard.

Anyway, I never bought that part because I don't have enough expertise to use it properly.

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First, Nirupam, how did you make that statement without any practical experience, where did you get that information?

Second, you do have to adjust the specifications for input and output levels and impedance to get good performance, which I have done.

Third, a maker expects a large quantity as lot order, in a chip plant that can mean 100,000 pieces, here people are saying 100 is a lifetime buy...

Do you expect a refinery producing millions of liters daily to sell you one liter of petrol and a half liter of engine oil...!?

The decision to stop production is a commercial one, there are alternates available, you can simply use the quad and stereo versions, with the non used inputs somehow kept from creating noise.

Many CD players as well as active spkrs uses RC4558 in the signal chain but that doesn't make it superior to modern replacement. It is also possible to use 4558 for RIAA(turntable)with optimization of the circuit but the result will not be the same standard using 5534A, which is better in every way. In the same price range 5534A is unbeatable if we see the spec, forget about tl07x.

Regards

Legend has it that TDA1034 was developed at Philips in their Grenoble (France) labs. Philips sold it for a brief time then handed it off to their US subsidiary Signetics, who renamed it NE5534 and might or might not have tweaked the design a little bit.

Seems to me that the TDA1034 came a little earlier than the NE5534 but that s the same chip apparently, the design was not tweaked methink as the shcematic is the same, but since the process used by Signetics was different this could had resulted in a slight advantage/disadvantage in perfs although the datasheets have same specs.

FTR Texas Instrument recommended the 5534 as I/V stage for their PCM1794A for best perfs followed by the LT1028 as differential circuit, so not sure that the 5534 will be EOLed.

Just buy TI TL 07x or 08x series chips, their higher slew rate is an advantage when listening to CD and later recordings, bandwidth on those is higher at 120 dB, vinyl was 60 dB on a good day.
My figures may be off.
And the TI chips are plentiful in supply.

you're quoting bandwidth in dB ? Do you instead mean Dynamic Range or SNR or THD+N ?

Any slew rate advantage (I haven't looked) over NE5534 is of debatable value.
But what is certain is that the voltage noise figures mean the TL07x will be significantly noisier in an application where NE5534 is a good fit - basically low source impedances. If your source is highish impedance eg a typical passive guitar pickup the the JFET input TL07x wins out. Note there are many better options to TL07x now but they still function well in audio applications, And in some cases the lower bias currents can be a real advantage.

Reactions: 1 user
What I am saying is that end of life for 5534 is not a disaster, there are alternates.

So far the largest purchase in this thread is 100 pieces, hardly significant for a factory, to put it in scale.
Here I could buy those at about 30 cents each, so $30 worth, plus shipping and packing...

And all devices have their pros and cons, so you do have to choose the most suitable one for your needs.
FWIW, the 4558 is still in production from companies like Kia, which are good quality.