New to forum, just got first sub and amp installed: question about bottoming out

how would I position it?
Pretty much however you want. As long as you have about an inch of clearance between the woofer and interior panels, it should be fine. It will change the loading for one woofer slightly doing that, but I don't think you'll ever know the difference. You may also induce more rattles in the the nearby interior panel, but some damping can usually take care of that if it's an issue. You can test this idea with your current box by facing the woofer toward the seat, side wall, however you think you want it to be if you incorporate another woofer. See if it makes much difference to the sound when it's facing the "wrong" way.

I wouldn't obsess too much about optimal anything in a car. There are so many constraints and bad things happening from an audio standpoint that it's usually unnecessary/unproductive to restrict yourself to best-case scenarios for a daily driver kind of system.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Thanks for everyone who helped me out but I think I'll just stick with the cv and set my amp to where I'm JUST barely bottoming out at full blast.

Either that or I'll get a different sub, maybe one that's built for sealed enclosures.

Edit: as much as I'd like to get 2 of anything, I use the car for groceries and the trunk is already kind of small as is!

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240412-183400_Gallery.jpg

@mattstat I appreciate your idea but how would a two sided sub box work? That's definitely an interesting idea tho.

@WhiteDragon also not to be negative, but check post #28 for why I can't have 2 12's or even 2 10's.
All good but sensitivity of a single 12" will be higher.
Or at least find one with a highest rating.
Single 10" has been a issue for many people.
You desire a certain amount of SPL
and the driver used wont hit that level cleanly.

As mentioned it gets worse with ported cabs
and a sub sonic or high pass filter is needed.

Cone control is usually well behaved sealed
but otherwise play with the sub sonic filter.
Otherwise a speaker is what a speaker is.

Ive designed quick release speaker connectors
and individual boxes for people that need space and easy to move
boxes. It becomes only option for limited space.
Or high tuned bandpass boxes that are louder.
But way to boomy and not accurate for my taste
loud but too much boomy blurp

Other option is throwing way way too much power
a single super woofers to get the SPL

You won't get much smaller than you have for 2 10s. Why not buy another of the same CV woofer, mount them on opposite sides of the enclosure you currently have, inverted. You get more cone area, more power and less power per woofer so less chance of bottoming out.

You can make it easily removable when you need all of the space for groceries. For times when you don't need all of the space, leave it in place.

Without looking at specific drivers in a modeling program.
Subs are fairly simple.
Assume 1 cubic foot for a average 10" And assume 2 cubic feet for a 12"

of course there are exceptions
But tradeoff is basically model the woofer / woofers and use the smallest box possible.
And the resulting transfer function aka the pretty graph the modeler makes will have more
of a peak to it.

Basically your trying to squeeze a 12" or a pair of 12" into 1.5 to 1.8 cubic feet per woofer instead of 2
to reduce box size. Then just have a long speaker cable with a quick disconnect so you can move it easily.
Or make 2 separate boxes so One can be moved.
" quick" disconnect is just a otherwise standard neutrik speakon connector used for live audio and other
high power.

Another fad that kinda disappeared was pushed by Kicker in the 90's when they first released
the " Solo Baric Series"
It was advertised as some magical woofer that needed no box. you just mounted to a baffle
and stuck it into the trunk. of course seats down or a pass through, were woofers facing out and the rear of the driver only in the trunk.
But basically if your trunk is 5 to 6 cubic feet, then blamo you have a 5 to 6 cubic foot box.
Sealing it up with a fancy baffle to have woofers facing out into the cabin and the rears are in the trunk
like any old box. its basically a no box system.

So theoretically if I were to buy 2 of the same sub, could I do both subs facing out or would they have to be both inverted?
best way to do it, 2 matching subs.
they both share the same box, or both can be in separate boxes.
Dont have to be facing each other, maybe thinking of isobaric, different animal.

Both face outward.
Assuming one speaker as a 10" requires 1 to 1.3 cubic feet.
Then you just double the box size for 2 speakers. So 2 to 2.6 cubic feet
Or just run 2 separate boxes with the normal required 1 to 1.3 cubic feet each.

I get it though, been through it all my life
owning numerous " hatchback" type cars.

It is a slight annoyance how much room you can loose
in a trunk with 2 woofers.
But I know the level I like and 1 woofer dont do it.
well it can hit the levels i like, but the will bottom out
or not quite do it for some songs that really knock.

So 2 it is lol.
I toss a few bags of groceries in the trunk the rest in the
backseat. otherwise its one box that gets moved to the
backseat or left in the garage on grocery day.
All the way to the store you instantly realize the difference with one woofer
and live with it for that trip. Going to work...woo hoo 2 woofers get pushed
good all the way there.

Yes, so my other option is same box as current one, and do a magnet to magnet twin sub? Like post # 51? Or would you still advise keep 1 separate?
Up to you
On grocery day just remove one box for room.

Any other day and going to work
youll be searching for the hardest hitting songs on the way to work.
Crank it
Enjoy

Run a long cable from the amp and just use a speakon so you can disconnect it easily.

I should probably mention, I enjoy playing Spanish music (reggaeton, banda, corridos) but I also enjoy hip hop, rap, r&b, and some dance and country too.

@WhiteDragon so you have two subs but each is separate huh? So it would be like this pic?
Yes just like so.
2 matching woofers and 2 matching boxes.
And quick disconnect cable when you need to remove one.

Do you live where you park in a garage or do you have to walk 3 flights of stairs to get between your car and front door?

If you have a garage, simply take the enclosure out and leave it at home when you go grocery shopping. How often do you go shopping and buy enough groceries to pack the rear of that vehicle?

If you remove the enclosure (or one enclosure), use connectors that can't short together and damage the amplifier.