1.4" or 2" throat large constant directivity horns you can actually buy!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I already thought about that but came to the conclusion that because of its low density, the actual boundary will have very little effect and what will count in the end is just the net volume of it. I would have thought the only effect would be just a little bit less of it. Do you have any data that would suggest otherwise?

Certainly the volume is the most important - more volume means a greater reduction in reflections and HOM. Next (but not very close) would be the shape at the throat and then the shape at the mouth. The throat is greater because the wave velocity is greater. If the cut of the plug at the throat is perfectly shaped to match the wavefront then there will be the largest reflection. If it is gradual then, just like the coatings on a lens, the reflections will be less.

Measuring these smaller effects would be most difficult.

Foamed throats from the 90's.

Attachments

• Formula_Foam.jpg
    Formula_Foam.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 739
Found some quite large horns from our local musicians flea market.Bought all four of them..

They are from brand: "Community" and model is PC264.

https://www.communitypro.com/sites/default/files/PC264_spec.pdf

Was thinking about active 3-way with 18" JBL 2240H in 200L sealed (up to 120Hz) and 15" JBL 2226H in 45L sealed chamber (120-500Hz) and those community horns with RCF ND950 2.0.
All drivers in same enclosure. Already own those JBL´s

Is this waste of time? Anybody tried PC264 horns?
Thanks for any comment! :)

pic of my horns:
20200901-150340 — ImgBB

Was thinking about active 3-way with 18" JBL 2240H in 200L sealed (up to 120Hz) and 15" JBL 2226H in 45L sealed chamber (120-500Hz) and those community horns with RCF ND950 2.0.
Is this waste of time? Anybody tried PC264 horns?
Thanks for any comment! :)
Oceanw,

Nice find!
Haven't used that specific horn, but have used other Community horns, they do what the spec sheet says, and are built very well.

The size and construction of those horns would allow the 2226H to share the horn, saving frontal space, improving vertical polar response and imaging.

Sometime during 2014, Chris (Cask05 here on DIY) followed some suggestions in this thread:
Pros and cons of different midbass horns

And added 15” drivers to his Klipsch 402 horns resulting in much better polar response than the usual easy to build straight walled conical expansions typically used for DIY MEH.
He later used coaxial compression drivers on the same horn for even better response:

A K-402-Based Full-Range Multiple-Entry Horn - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

Cheers,
Art

Thanks for info weltersys! They are really sturdy and there is possibility to modify them. im glad that i bought four of them, could take risk of modifying one pair.
Have to study those threads first, hope there is info how large openings have to be made and how far from throat.

I'm working with Don Keele and Bjorn Kolbrek on a horn design that have several of the same specifications. A 2-way design that requires a separate bass/subwoofer solution. May also get a horn subwoofer designed with it.

- 80x50 coverage angle
- Frequency range 90 Hz-18KHz or higher
- Crossover at 600 Hz or lower if the driver permits it
- Very uniform directivity low in frequency
- Exit angle of 1.4" (Radian 951BePB driver) but could also be made for other drivers including those with an 1.5" exit
- Non resonant enclosure

Downside is the size the horn requires for constant directivty low in frequency and it's not cheap to build either. I have a Klipsch K-402 horn which I will use for comparison to the top horn. The top horn needs to be better than Klipsch for it to be worth it.

Already have measured and tested the midbass horn. While we'll may be making some adjustments to it, it does work tremendously well today. The horizontal directivty doesn't change much before you get to 100-150 Hz. Picture of it below with the Klipsch K-402 horn on top.

I'm interested in your project and progress. I use the 951PB CD's with XT1464 horns. It's a new setup, and a new learning area for me. A lot more to learn.

Have been advised that the B&C ME464 horn is a good improvement for directivity control. May consider it for the future.

Is there a place where I can learn more about your project? Thanks.

paul7052 said:
I'm interested in your project and progress. I use the 951PB CD's with XT1464 horns. It's a new setup, and a new learning area for me. A lot more to learn.

Have been advised that the B&C ME464 horn is a good improvement for directivity control. May consider it for the future.

Is there a place where I can learn more about your project? Thanks.
It's commercial project with plans to only sell the 2-way horn together with a DSP and with the option of buying a subwoofer additionally.
There are no plans to sell the horns separately presently. The top "midrange" horn surpassed the Klipsch K402 in several ways and offers extremely uniform directivity.

attachment.php

We have other horns on the way as well.
attachment.php

At the moment, the best place to follow is probably the Facebook group below. If something is shared at a forum or at a website, the Facebook group will link to it.

Attachments

• Vera_Audio_horn-rendering.JPG
    Vera_Audio_horn-rendering.JPG
    849.5 KB · Views: 976
  • 242255997_251399833658789_6486237291506894501_n (Liten).jpg
    242255997_251399833658789_6486237291506894501_n (Liten).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 957
docali said:
To compare this to the K402 seems to be not fair as your horn obviously have a strong diffraction slot section what the K402 does not have. What is happening in this section while we encounter very abrupt flare rate changes?
What you mean by unfair? Shouldn't one compare horns that have different topologies by listening when finding out what's best? That makes no sense to me.

The horn measures well on-axis too. I don't care much about minor small peaks/dips with high Q and especially if they are minimum phase behaviour and thus can effectively be equalized.

What you mean by unfair? Shouldn't one compare horns that have different topologies by listening when finding out what's best? That makes no sense to me.

100% agree... "fair"...?? :D

It's commercial project with plans to only sell the 2-way horn together with a DSP and with the option of buying a subwoofer additionally. There are no plans to sell the horns separately presently.

Bjørn, you should consider a one-off group buy on here for the horn itself because there's a dearth of quality 1.4" horns of this size and shape, so demand would be big. And frankly, the DIY crowd will never cannibalise on your commercial retail sales for finished systems, those customers prefer to pay up to not have to tinker.