A convolution based alternative to electrical loudspeaker correction networks

Yeah... I know my room is far less than ideal.

I'm thinking of keeping the living room as movie and social room, and move my W8-1772 to another room, that has treatments, for serious listening.

Trouble is that's also the study room for our students, and it would need little locked door to keep the fragile paper cone and whizzer of the TB from little wandering hands!

Just to show how bad is my living room, look at the first graph I posted above, that's just the flat speakers.

Now, here's the graph of the room interaction (in blue) and the corrections applied (other picture) to achieve a little flatter (in red).

I don't need to tell you that there are some phasing issues!!!

Attachments

• NEW SPL NEW EQ.jpg
    NEW SPL NEW EQ.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 300
  • newFABeq.jpg
    newFABeq.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 297
  • FABeq.PNG
    FABeq.PNG
    204.8 KB · Views: 302
Perceval,

Thanks sharing experience and data, personal find it educating reading about.

Regarding your plugin Pro-Q 2 looks very power full and seems manage both IRR/FIR correction but also 3-4 times the cost a JRiver 2x computer license, therefor ask for a music player system is it worth it or is it more targeted for DAW use in a production studio : )

Yes, the Pro-Q2 is probably one of the best around. Not the cheapest either.

I've had it since I also record myself, or music bands sometimes and work with DAWs. I'm a visual guy, so for me, working with little knobs of an analog EQ is not the best, but seeing the curves as in the Pro-Q, I can relate. Plus, I got it with a rebate, so it was easier on my pockets! :)

I figured I could use it since JRiver allows importing of VSTs.

Otherwise, there are other EQs out there that do a good job for a lot less money.

DMG has a few EQs that are nice. And cheaper :)
And wesayso uses JRiver's own EQs with some routing, so it works that way as well.

I also use some EQ vst plugins and was eyeing that Pro-Q. Anyway, out of my budget for now... Seems nice though with linear phase EQ available. As does PLParEQ but that looks out of date compared to this one. It is pretty powerful and expensive as well. Even more expensive than FabFilter. Those 2 often get mentioned in lists of favourite linear phase EQ's.
Both do mid side EQ as well.

Last edited:
PLParEQ is a lot more expensive indeed! And not much in terms of keeping up to date.

I like Fabfilter stuff. They're are really on top of things and sound very nice.

But, no linear phase will be able to help with the amount of crazy EQ I need in that living room. I can only hope it can limit the craziness when it comes to phase shifting... compared to other products.

Thanks perseval,

Even hard on pocket : ) good reasons there in you do recordings too and working DAWS, its UI and that it manage FIR power beside IRR is really nice features.

Agree visual help setting EQ is awesome, although its a more laborious method not inside JRiver sometimes use REW "EQ" visuals to set JRiver's build in PEQ's. Over in REW highlight a sweep or import a frd file from example "The Edge" and start "EQ" which when window size and X-Y range axis is set right have nice visual to set right Q's and response corrections smooth, then save a screen capture of settings or save as REW-peq file to store settings and manual one by one add the data-settings to filters in JRiver, new response curve works precise as visual EQ target shows and can be seen in a later REW sweep but admit it takes some prepare and editing time.

Last edited:
Hey Byrtt,

funny, we have the same procedure.

When I think of a correct shape for an EQ, but I forgot the exact settings, I will pick up a visual EQ, set the frequency, gain and Q to the shape I had in my head, then, I will look up the 3 settings (freq, gain, Q) and enter that into the param EQ of JRiver.

It's a long process, but at least I know that's exactly how I pictured it in my head! :)

The TC9 have arrived. Wow, Byrtt, you went all out on the packaging! These babies were snug and tight in that box. Complete with the DATS readings.

I think you even got the customs officers to not even try to open that box with the amount of tape used! :)

Can't wait to hook them up and start measuring... and listening!

Attachments

• IMG_20151116_154510.jpg
    IMG_20151116_154510.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 268
I can't wait either.. but it's close to midnight here, so not exactly the right time to start doing some sweeps! :)

One thing I didn't notice from all the pictures I saw is the rubberised coating on the top of the frame. I always thought it was just plastic.

Plus, the magnet has significant weight.

Ha ha plenty of gaffa tape scared customs officers or maybe they just used a modern radar tech to control contents, really glad they arrived safe have seen many scary examples how staff treat packages in transit therefor went all out on the packaging, couldn't bare if after transit magnet had left frame.

Even they low cost in most markets regarding magnet weight and build quality they lack nothing, see below beside SS 18W and 10F, if preferred rubberized foam basket is easy removed by some thumb massage.

TC9 high Qts spec needs design attention in small enclosures either and/or acoustic and electric corrected, else impressing reference for performance if design is around a pair then look at Barleywater's build over Linkwitz pipe clones or design is array look at wesayso's build, those two got very HQ speaker systems based on TC9.

Attachments

• 18W_TC9_10F.JPG
    18W_TC9_10F.JPG
    595.6 KB · Views: 465
What I noticed in that picture is if you seal off the view of the basket, frame and everything else except the cone even the TC9 can be a match in looks to the more expensive family members. It is very clear to see that these right two drivers are related.
I still love that driver, it is way more capable than people give it credit for. If I had to start over I'd pick it again, even if I had more budget for other drivers. It did not disappoint. I've managed to get my share of DDR out of it and then some.

Last edited:
I practise in constraint, I only have 4 tweeters, 2x TC9 and a set of 6.5" car woofers laying around. The tweeters and woofers are from my car experiments. I focus on improving more than swapping. Measurements do tell us a lot about possible performance. I even had to buy an extra amp for my back channels. I remembered from my other hobby's it can go terribly wrong if you don't practice some constraint :D.
Don't get me wrong, I do feel the itch, but I don't scratch it.
It paid off both in my car and home to focus on improving what you've got.

Yeah, I try as well to not click "Buy It" on every link I find interesting!

And I have way too many hobbies, so I have to find ways to indulge myself without breaking the piggy bank!

I found another EQ that looks promising, a bit cheaper than Pro-Q2. The Acon Equalize. Looks very nice, and can do Minimum Phase, Linear Phase or a mix of both. The Phase options start at about 5 minutes into the video on this page:

https://acondigital.com/products/equalize/

Tried to do some corrections with DRC Designer and Equalizer APO last night. That's a hell of a difference, now I'm wondering how could I think that uncorrected sound was any good. Resulting sound can be a little dull sometimes, but that's probably due to use of uncalibrated mic, will have to fiddle with target response a bit :)

It's a pair of Alpairs 7.3 in a shallow BR box meant for wall-mounting. Listening position is very close to a wall so there are some nasty reflections. I've tried to EQ it before and got quite flat frequency reponse. Sound was different but not much better. It's really a different story with DRC now.