A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces

I've got two pairs of 15" B&C in the 130-140g mass category and never excited about using them for home as they're less sensitive in the mids than woofers with half the mass - they might play well in K15 as some folks like JBL K140. Kilomax may be fine for making bass in K15 for club use - not sure if I'd want to hear solo violin through one.

here's a JBL M151 bass guitar woofer vs a B&C pretty much like a TBX100, both mounted in a bass reflex -- mic on ground (maybe 2M). I'm probably prejudiced towards brighter midrange than what one gets with 130-140g mms type woofers. I'll probably use the B&C for an Econowave as my K15 are loaded with P-Audio coax.

B&C makes beautiful drivers. This is an 80 liter reflex tuned to 41Hz.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Carl and I would talk about K's from the standpoint of an impedance matching device - (if one believes that)
- we want our drivers to have the lowest mass practical to match the air impedance near the floor.

BMS makes some tough coax - maybe one of those would work with a kilowatt and sound decent - ?

Last edited:
No - I've not heard the Kilomax 15A - only going by 297-070 experience and Eminence's graph. Here's a higher mass category 15" coax-woofer that looks like fun but only rated 500 watts. (100 watts sine will probably smoke a big coil in a minute) Jack at Assistance Audio used to have a good price on this unit. http://bmsspeakers.com/fileadmin/bm...ces/bms_15c362_2011-04_coaxial_transdcuer.pdf

in home use, 3mm xmax can do a lot with K15

for home use with K15 and coax, I'd probably grab this driver on sale at $199 http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/BM15CXA/P-AUDIOBM15CXA/

Last edited:
that would be good if it allows shortening the K-tube distance from dome plate to the main klam aperture
oh - I just bumped into the pictures of Karlson's AP9-C ceiling speaker - -better save them as Imageshack has lost >20% of my stuff
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dimensions

Last edited:
The high crossover George was using with his Kilomax15 in Martinelli's K15 and little wood horn sure musta not helped matters. A cheap Eminence with small magnet, multi-ribbed cone and 55g mms would have sounded better for home use than the Kilomax imo.

That's right, it used a small Martinelli wood horn with a high crossover. I've not heard the Kilomax either, but with that giant heat sink and no dustcap, I have to assume it's not optimized for wideband performance. Integrating a horn to a K15 is difficult even at low crossovers and wideband 15" woofers.

K15 sounded good with a large radial horn as a midrange with Altec driver - goofy looking 1" format SFW brand >30" wide, 28" deep - fantastic vocals with ALtec 421 ring radiator -maybe 600Hz xover to the midhorn - A Smith Distributed Source 1" format horn sounds good. K-tube have very nice vertical pattern and naturally blend with lower frequency Karlson.

a 250Hz rectangular tractrix horn with old alnico LE5 as driver did not really mate well to K15. K15 can sound very good all by itself - or with certain horns.

that radial SFW horn made an energetic tweeter for my coax too - interesting to switch back and forth
from the coaxial's horn to the horn on top with ~1K2 crossover. Sorry about having my coax horn
turned the "wrong way"

a Jam Cam sure wasn't much of a camera ...
Fred_K-15SWE-TWEET.jpg

that AP9C might make a foam core project

Last edited:
Do you still have those Kappas? Maybe time to make another box? They probably work well in the Karlsonator.

I only ever had one Kappa15, and it got used up in a bass cab for one of my friends a while back. It was the driver in the old artichoke horn. Nice mids, which IMO is pretty important for a K15 driver.

Yeah, I think it would be a good Karlsonator15 driver.

LPaPy5lDChaFqZBn8t3YbdWoKzUiTiJgQdXr8Eu09Vo=w640-h480-no

The scary looking breakup on the FR graph wasn't that bad in real life. It had a bit of funny coloration running wide open in a BR. The horn's mass rolloff pretty much rolled it off to inaudibility. I'd imagine a K would do the same.

Last edited:
only thing I could find MESCAS SYSTEMS INCORPORATED

Carl loves his AP9C - thinks the grill is part of the design - -I "bought" four from David Young who said he had 150 AP9C - but never received them - I spent hundreds on phone calls to no avail.

behold the great AP9C http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2655/ap9cdriver.jpg
I'd like to try to make one from baltic birch (have no rides to get foam core)

is there a 6x9 with low enough qts to work in a enclosed rear chamber version of AP9C? - would a good 6.5" round speaker
work about as well?

AP9C dimensions

Last edited:
That 6X9 I'm going to be using was previously mounted on my son's old car, which he inherited from his great granny, a huge full sized buick, with a 10 golf bag sized trunk.
That 6X9 was sitting on the deck above the trunk. Had pretty good bass even without a sub. Which eventually my son put in. That car is gone to the junkyard in the sky, but I still have those speakers. I also have sitting in storage some 12" pioneer speakers which if the 6X9's do not work out, I'll try in a KLAM.

Carl made a klam12 - talked about rebuilding it as like it but not fully satisfied - below is what I think it looked like - rear chamber may have been too big (too deep) in my sketch for some drivers - when sealed, there's not much sense having too low a system Q as that compromises response and power handling - his favorite wing flare was a "Trax 60" by Ken Lehman

there were other pictures but Imageshack lost those uploads - Imageshack has crap service for a pay site

Carl's klam12 size could probably work series vented with some speakers, and not too large to mount
on a sturdy tripod

my sketch
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4366/klam12gdob5.jpg

Carl's picture with EV

Carl's little klam10 with a Beta10cx and compression driver should be fun

Here's Karlson's APX as sold under the Oliver model "Phase III" they had a 10" guitar speaker

Last edited:
Last edited:
on large klam such as this one loaded with a 15" coax, I think it might be possible to brace the wings with two dowel struts which triangulate and meet at the center of the opposite wall. I need to get this toy outside and play it loud - -a much smaller klam could have just as much midrange and treble output. klam10 seems like a nice compromise.

It will be great if we can see another software's predictions of K15, etc.

here's a couple of approximate ground plane graphs plus input z. my yard is in the middle of a hill and the yard dropped off not real far from the test spot.

the graphs look unremarkable - but K15's ability to play loud and clean are a different story.

K15 outdoors with EV SP15A 1/24th octave smoothing ~ ground plane - stock 2ohm series resistor - SP15A was built on a 6 ohm coil and EV
added a series 2 ohm resistor under a frame spoke to raise Qt.

two K15 - ~ ground plane - one with 40 sq. inch vent and EV15L, the other with 30.5 sq. in. vent and Altec 416 The 1954 plan used 40sq.in. and in 1956, Karlson narrowed the vent by 1.5"

K15 input impedance with Tangband/MCM 1880 15" woofer and 30.5 sq. inch vent

K15 input impedance with Altec 604 coaxial and 30.5 sq. inch vent

K15 near-cone-center - a null about 1/2 octave lower than Zmin