A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Account disabled at users request
Joined 2020
An example from NXT of multiple usage of exciters...

an example of multiple drivers from NXT.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
General Question...
Has anybody picked up rather disappointing performance from the Dayton DAEXHESF 40W High Efficiency drivers? I find their frequency response lacking on both the lows and highs. But yet on cheaper devices, like the DAEX25Q-4 (20W) , at half the price, I get very nice responses.
I've tried these drivers on various panels going through the whole spectrum of densities, thickness, stiffness, damping, dimensions and length/width ratios; I've also tried them as single, and as multiples; but I get the same basic variations in responses from the drivers: Very mid-heavy (almost unusable) on the expensive HESF, and almost decent on the cheaper 25Q-4.

Comments?
a short while ago I asked, had anyone found a powerful exciter with a good response up to 20k.
But I'm afraid I received no answers.
I think I will have to try using more of my 10watt exciters for my proplex panels.
I'm not sure how many will be necessary per panel or the type of mounting ?
But that will mean dismantling some of my other panels 😭
Steve.

• Thank You
This forums pages are going to be up in their thousands soon.
We are going to need a bigger upgraded system !
Steve

Wow, this thread is amazing. While a lot goes 'above my head' in terms of knowledge, It's great to see so many people trying to create the best DML based experience. I actually also want to start with a simple DML project. I'll be using two exciters per panel, and one panel per channel. (I'm going stereo) I think I'll use the DAEX25FHE-4 and DAEX32EP-4 unless I'm told otherwise. :) I know that two separate panels of a different material might be better, but the aesthetics are equally important for my project.

I'm looking at panels with a maximum size of 55x115cm (21.5" x 45") smaller is possible if that is to be advised.
I've looked at three possible materials. Mainly because of availability, costs and the ability to order them printed with a photo/design of my choice.

Could someone perhaps help me with deciding which material would be best? I have a windows PC as a source, and I am using an Umik-1 + REW and Windows APO to be able to EQ everything a bit.

The materials I've looked at;

3mm Dibond; https://company7.nl/en/product/print-op-dibond/
2.9mm Akylite: https://company7.nl/en/product/akylite-plex/
1/3/5mm Forex: https://company7.nl/en/product/foto-op-forex/

(The Akylite is the cheapest, the Dibond the most expensive.)
I see no real reason to look much beyond a middling to high grade expanded polystyrene (EPS) or 3mm poplar ply. You'll need to decide on your suspension method (minimal to well secured in range). I (and I think Eric) go for the latter, Steve & others the former.

Eucy.
the 25SHF is still only 20watt, this is the driver podiums used I believe.
25mm seems to be the optimum size for good HF but the power is lower than the 30mm .
is there a compromise without using more exciters?
some panel materials such as XPS can block HF,so you will loose 20k HF from a full range exciter, but if the exciter is incapable of producing HF up to 20k , it does not matter what panel materials use ,you will not reach 20k.
Steve.

Joined 2020
I think Steve has done dozens.
Have you seen any, here or there? Any that can be considered as a speaker or a speaker system?
(Look from the 2nd post in the above link to the end of the thread)

A distributed mode loudspeaker, not a free standing, or free hanging unsupported wobbling sheet. :)

Last edited:
Lordtarquin.
With small light panels , they can be mounted without supports of any kind, totally free floating.
This picture is from my NXT RUBBISH gallery.
My 7ft EPS panel used to stand on the floor sometimes clamped at the bottom for support and to prevent movement (panels walking across the floor on loud heavy bass ).
Steve.

Attachments

• 1674731578737.jpg
    1674731578737.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 87
Eucy.
the 25SHF is still only 20watt, this is the driver podiums used I believe.
25mm seems to be the optimum size for good HF but the power is lower than the 30mm .
is there a compromise without using more exciters?
some panel materials such as XPS can block HF,so you will loose 20k HF from a full range exciter, but if the exciter is incapable of producing HF up to 20k , it does not matter what panel materials use ,you will not reach 20k.
Steve.
Steve...check the BL figure (4.29)...at 20watts it more than matches the punch of the 40watt Thrusters which I also have (4.2)(for example)

And I've driven them at more than 20w without any ill effect ..
They're very good units and worth a try
Eucy

chdsl,
There is a picture much earlier on this forum of a room in spedge's house that is filled almost completely of DMLs that he has made, and that was years ago. You are definitely attacking the wrong person here. He has probably made 5-10 times as many DMLs as the next prolific builder/experimenter on this forum. You need to choose your battles more wisely if you want to be taken seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Pixel1,
The Tectonic panels seem to be connected rigidly to the frame at the 4 points and by soft material on more than 50% of the length of each of the four sides.
Check the link below for a better view.
Eric

https://tectonicproaudio.com/about-the-technology/

View attachment 1134808
Thanks Valerico, I hadn't noticed in the animation that there was some kind of material on the sides, I wonder two things what material they used and if it is only attached to the vibrating plate side or also to the frame. What do you think?

Eucy.
Do you have frequency response measurements on a panel that can actually reach 20k without EQ?
Dayton only use 1/2 inch foam core for their measurements, which I would definitely not use.
I am more interested in the response from 100hz to 20k , as even my 10watt exciters can reach 40hz with strong output.
But I would normally leave frequencies below 100hz for my low frequency drivers to deal with.
but as you say those exciters are now very expensive and getting more so.
I have already wasted £50 on the HDN8s so I want to make sure I get it right this time..
thanks for the info though.
Steve.

Thanks Valerico, I hadn't noticed in the animation that there was some kind of material on the sides, I wonder two things what material they used and if it is only attached to the vibrating plate side or also to the frame. What do you think?
pixel1,
I don't recall ever reading anywhere what material Tectonic uses around the perimeter. It may be mentioned in their patent, I'll have to look again. I suspect it is a material with high damping. If anyone knows I would be interested to hear.
From the animation, the material appears to be attached to both the frame and the vibrating plate. That's my interpretation.
It's also interesting about the four fixed points. From the animation, it doesn't look like the plate is truly "clamped" there. That is, while the plate doesn't seem to move vertically at those points, it does appear to rotate freely in both directions. I'm curious exactly how those "points" are actually designed.
Eric

yes, the only thing you can see from the photos and videos on youtube is that they use an L-shaped plate in front to lock the panel frontally. What I've never read on this forum is someone who has seen and heard them play in person

Joined 2020
He has probably made 5-10 times as many DMLs as the next prolific builder/experimenter on this forum.
Not a single one, that is, not a single distributed mode loudspeaker. Only some sheets stuck with an exciter on the back. :)
Look at the photos above, #8,898. That's a DM loudspeaker. Maybe, even a DM+BM loudspeaker. What makes a sheet with an exciter stuck at the back a DM loudspeaker?

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Here's the patent for that. As always, better read the downloaded pdf.

1c.jpeg 10.jpeg

• FIG. 1C is a rear view of a distributed mode loudspeaker illustrating the outer surface 102b of the panel 100 with additional supporting elements in an embodiment.
  • In this embodiment, four foam strips are provided on the outer surface 102b of the second skin material layer of the panel 100 so they can be insertably connected into matching grooves on a mounting frame.
  • The foam strips 114a, 114b, 114c, 114d are comprised of open-cell or closed-cell foam material that is often used with an expanded rubber (e.g., Poron(R) that aids in creating a light and suitably stiff distributed mode loudspeaker with optimised boundary conditions.
  • The outer surface 102b in this embodiment also includes the four transducer coupler rings 106, 108, 110, 112 for receiving a coil former on each of four different audio transducers.
And so on...You'd have to read the rest. :)

Last edited: