A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

I can't be certain at this point but I used contact adhesive for both so I would say its worth exploring. My brother's build is captured in the Tall Story build notes Christian has added to his Wiki. It also has a good HF extension although the Snow White build was a touch better.

I can't detect any subjective difference between an EQ'd response on my hanging panels and the natural response of the recent builds. Without EQ the hanging panels, which are Birch ply without edge damping, lose some "air" and "sparkle".

Reactions: 1 user
@Earborne 963Hz

Hi. They are not glossy. The day I took the picture it was very sunny. What you are seeing is the effect of the sun shining through. In my experience I find Poplar ply doesn't need any treatment. Others may have tried treating the surface and there is an argument for stiffening the skin by applying a thin layer of epoxy on both sides but that would add weight which is to be avoided.

On materials for DML @homeswinghome has produced a very nice chart of the different materials people have tried with a 'sweet spot' for optimal performance. Search for his posts, he is a very capable and thorough developer who has added some good observations to this thread. His chart will show you that Poplar is already too heavy and has poor efficiency compared to EPS, EXP and composite materials, but I still like the sound of Poplar and don't find volume a problem. I am using 40W exciters though so that compensates.

Burnt
I get heaps of volume from my 20w 25SHF exciters... But they also have a slightly higher BL than the 40w Thrusters

Eucy

Reactions: 1 users
Larger voice coil = higher inductance = lower HF ?

I can't explain but I think it more complicated

Good idea. I would be interesting to know how is the HF extension. Can a material with a smooth FR (so a high damping) have a good HF extension?

Christian
Christian..As I recall from my lost sweep recordings, the hf response of the Blackwood was pretty good .. I'll check it again... It was the low efficiency that made me put it aside in favour of the more lively Poplar

I've also tried light and cheap 3mm ply from the local building supply store with poor hf results...I considered possible causes to be
1/ Soft and low quality core material...air gaps slowing transmission speed? Low compression strength damping through panel transmission?
2/The glue material and thickness

Generally, I found that you can tell the likely hf performance by tap testing - as per guitar building. If it sounds dead under tap testing it's most likely to be a poor candidate for DML use. Tap testing led me to Poplar. Birch was somewhere in the middle of the pack of results.

Eucy

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Eucy,
I note you have had success with 3mm Poplar which i can get from Plyco for $ 19 per 1200 x 600 sheet.
I am contemplating a design concept of using two different densities such as Poplar for one DML pair , and Poplar covered with a 0.3 mm Blackwood or Walnut veneer for the second set with my thinking being that the different densities will give a richer tone and frequency balance for presence although it might need some EQ.
Whats your thoughts on that versus just going to a 3 mm Blackwood ? (Plyco are currently showing nil stock of the 3mm blackwood ply or veneer)

One reason i am trying to source a quality veneer is for aesthetics , Having great sound is one feature but if they also have a beautiful dark grain that will make them an architectural feature in the room then its a big plus as long as sound quality is not lost.

PS , I guess if it hasnt been done i can experiment .
If pursuing range and contrast from two pairs of DML's , I would probably have to include EPS as one pair and poplar ply as the other too.
Hi Earbourne

I wanted the Blackwood for the same aesthetic reasons. It's a very good quality ply... Quite stiff and "true".

Needs a fair bit of power to get the required volume... That's why I didn't use it in the end.

Poplar on the other hand is quite floppy and needs some attention/treatment/detailing to keep it flat, although Burnt obviously didn't find that an issue.

I'd caution against trying to veneer the Poplar...I feel fairly certain that the extra mass of the veneer and importantly the glue layer will kill the effectiveness of the Poplar. However, that said, if be interested in the results of you do try it

Keep us posted

Cheers and best of luck
Eucy

10000.png

I've also tried light and cheap 3mm ply from the local building supply store with poor hf results...
@Earborne 963Hz
Uh oh... That sounds a lot like what I purchased for the 24"x96" DML build. It is 'hardwood' three-ply plywood, 1/8" thick (1/8" = ~3.2mm), bought from a U.S. chain store (Home Depot); it is from Indonesia according to the label and is definitely not quite heirloom furniture quality. I have been unable to identify the wood species.

This is the edge/end of two stacked pieces. Does this look familiar? At any rate I'll 'tap test' it tomorrow and see what it sounds like.

3mm ply.png

Last edited:
@Earborne 963Hz
Uh oh... That sounds a lot like what I purchased for the 24"x96" DML build. It is 'hardwood' three-ply plywood, 1/8" thick (1/8" = ~3.2mm), bought from a U.S. chain store (Home Depot); it is from Indonesia according to the label and is definitely not quite heirloom furniture quality. I have been unable to identify the wood species.

This is the edge/end of two stacked pieces. Does this look familiar? At any rate I'll 'tap test' it tomorrow and see what it sounds like.

View attachment 1163903
Hi Deude...
Hmm... It doesn't look great does it.. On first sight I wouldn't be holding high hopes for that material.

Looks to me like it could be what is termed 'overlay grade' ply meant to be a surfaced with a paper or vinyl facing and used in the RV industry etc as lining. Lightweight, cheap, and definitely non-structural

The faces could be Meranti which is a soft hardwood, and the core is likely to be Falcata. I believe the core will control the performance of this panel. I don't know if anyone's tested this material but it's very light and will be soft..

Only time and testing will tell... If possible I'd buy a real Poplar piece and compare with this material through testing before the final build.

Cheers
Eucy

Last edited:
So here is what I came up with...
density = 447 kg/m^3 (on the light side but reasonable - falcata is very low density, like balsa, and the center layer is most of the volume)
E = 13.5 GPa (on the higher side for woods, something like 10% moisture content birch?)

Density should be fairly accurate. E is estimated (crudely) using a free-free beam frequency equation and then looking for a mode (octave multiple of the calculated fundamental) that matches what I measured. The fact this is a composite of different woods throws off the property estimations versus actuals of course. But, overall, this looks like it has good effective stiffness for its effective density. Damping is another question but I am not set up to measure that.

MathCAD worksheet
1681317113229.png

Last edited:
So here is what I came up with...
density = 447 kg/m^3 (on the light side but reasonable)
Ok... Luan has a density of around 705 kg/m3. If the faces are about 0.4mm each as suggested previously, then the faces contribute 0.56kg/m2.

Working backwards leads to a core mass of 1.43 kg/m2 , and for a 2.4mm thickness gives a density of 361 kg/m3, very close to the Falcata density of around 320 kg/m3.

QED...?? maybe

Eucy

Reactions: 2 users
E is estimated (crudely) using a free-free beam frequency equation and then looking for a mode (octave multiple of the calculated fundamental) that matches what I measured.
Deude,
Using the natural frequencies of the beam or panel is a great way to determine the elastic modulus (or moduli). But how did you measure the natural frequency you measured and how did you determine that it was the 16th mode? You may have seen in the other thread that it is not to hard to measure the natural frequencies with a frequency analyzer and a microphone. But, be careful in your calculation of elastic modulus. unlike the natural frequencies of tensioned strings, the natural frequencies are not integer multiples of the fundamental. Rather, they are a rather inharmonic series of overtones, as in the table below. You can actually use the irregular spacing to help figure out which modes you are observing, since adjacent modes should have a ratio that is unique to their mode orders.
Eric

1681320380222.png

Reactions: 2 users
I used a cell phone app RTA and multiple measurements with a peak hold to check repeatability. The pitfall then would be the integer multiple harmonics.

I am taking additional measurements using a cantilever mode (and equation), and plucking the unsupported end, using the same RTA, but so far the results are not reasonable. So there is some measurement uncertainty here.

I also tried simply supported beam deflection measurements but the problem is my Mitutoyo runout indicator has a lot of stiction force compared to the beam deflection load and thus I cannot get a good measurement.

So, I am at the point where I am inclined to build and test since I do not want to get mired down in characterization testing. It seems like others have reported good results with 3mm Luan type ply so I do not think I am doomed necessarily.

Last edited:
used a cell phone app RTA and multiple measurements with a peak hold to check repeatability. The pitfall then would be the integer multiple harmonics.

I am taking additional measurements using a cantilever mode (and equation), and plucking the unsupported end, using the same RTA, but so far the results are not reasonable. So there is some measurement uncertainty here.

I also tried simply supported beam deflection measurements but the problem is my Mitutoyo runout indicator has a lot of stiction force compared to the beam deflection load and thus I cannot get a good measurement.
Here is the thread Eric refered (and opened) to : Application of Impulse Excitation for DML Design and Analysis