A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

There is on phenomena for which I think we have evidences now : it is the exciter noise due to the air trapped in the voice coil area. Happened between 2 to 5kHz?
Steve mentioned other "noises" if I remember in the 9-10k range. Where is it in all the posts?
Measuring the panels from both sides is informative about the source of peaks in the FR.
Christian

When a younger person, I was quite serious about Target Shooting using Pneumatic Air Rifles.
The better designed Pneumatic Systems had what was referred to as a 'atmospheric bleed off'.
This basically meant a design was present that would bleed of air if there was a change to the Pascal Reading that was pre set as the optimum.
As the Air to be released Chamber was filled from a larger reservoir ff Compressed Air, the likelihood of not reaching optimum fill level is very small, the overcharge is more likely due to the ambient atmospheric conditions, or that was the theory (sales spiel).

I wonder if a pre charging of the air chamber in the voice coil to a certain Pascal could be a method to substantially reduce these anomalies being detected.

It might sound strange but I am familiar with the idea, as I refill my Audax HD-3P Gold Dome Piezo periodically as it leeches its charge of air over time.
Hello JohnoG,
The first difference I see is in the case of an exciter, the volume at the rear of the membrane in the voice coil area is not sealed. In the exciters I use (Dayton DAEX25FHE), there is a small hole at the axis but the main path goes to the internal end of the voice coil to go out by the external side and through the spider. It is this path in my opinion that generates the 2-3k peak.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I think it's the same territory. A way of measuring it would be to play a multitone stimuli and the filter out all tones and look whats left minus background. This is added noise and very unwelcome. But I dint know of a standardised measure or unit.
Hello TNT
Around the posts I linked just before, there is a link to a multitone track (see #4651, Audio Linear).
I think I did at the time of those posts some trials in the way you describe but nothing stored in my files...

@xsuper9988
Hi xsuper
Here is a quick test from today.
Red : DAEX25FSE-4 with a small rectangular piece of low density EPS (130x175mm, 5mm thick, row = no coating).
Green : the exciter alone (no membrane)
This EPS is not a good candidate for a real DML but it helps while doing some quick test. What is relevant it is the level it reaches showing what could give a good efficiency membrane.

1686512425872.png

Reactions: 1 users
An ideal exciter should be silent when fed signal but not attached to any membrane
This exciter has a quite large spider (voice coil 25mm, external diameter about 50mm). It is probably the reason of the emissions.
To see with exciters with an other design (ie metal suspension) what happens. By the way, is this emission a problem when a membrane is in front?

Reactions: 1 user
@xsuper9988@xsuper9988
Hi xsuper
Here is a quick test from today.
Red : DAEX25FSE-4 with a small rectangular piece of low density EPS (130x175mm, 5mm thick, row = no coating).
Green : the exciter alone (no membrane)
This EPS is not a good candidate for a real DML but it helps while doing some quick test. What is relevant it is the level it reaches showing what could give a good efficiency membrane.

View attachment 1182557
Thanks a lot for your help and testing

Is the Exciter model "DAEX25FHE-4"?

I found that it is highly efficient after 15K in free state
Then EPS is small and thin panel seems to be only up to 7K

I was originally optimistic about "DAEX25FHE-4"
But it seems that DML is not so simple in high frequency~
If I want more than 10K to have good results
The material of the panel seems to need more research
Maybe I have to look for more high-frequency test results?

DAEX25FHE-4 Framed High Efficiency 25mm Exciter

Dayton Audio DAEX25FHE-4 Specification Sheet

This exciter has a quite large spider (voice coil 25mm, external diameter about 50mm). It is probably the reason of the emissions.
To see with exciters with an other design (ie metal suspension) what happens. By the way, is this emission a problem when a membrane is in front?
Can you record a video (Youtube, FB)?
Curious... what's going on here?

Thanks a lot for your help and testing

Is the Exciter model "DAEX25FHE-4"?

I found that it is highly efficient after 15K in free state
Then EPS is small and thin panel seems to be only up to 7K

DAEX25FHE-4 Framed High Efficiency 25mm Exciter

Dayton Audio DAEX25FHE-4 Specification Sheet

yes DAEX25FHE-4 Typo!
don't conclude about HF with the material in this test (simple small sheet of raw EPS used to give an idea of SPL with membrane compare to without).

Can you record a video (Youtube, FB)?
Curious... what's going on here?
Here is a picture of the exciter used.
The brown part all around the voice coil (transparent plastic) is the spider. It is glued to voice coil at its inner diameter (25mm, moving), to the exciter frame at the outer diameter (50mm, not moving)
1686565924546.png

yes DAEX25FHE-4 Typo!yes DAEX25FHE-4 Typo!
don't conclude about HF with the material in this test (simple small sheet of raw EPS used to give an idea of SPL with membrane compare to without).
Yes
I know
so i reply
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- =-=-=-=-=
Or is my English statement wrong?
i should say
But it seems that DML is not so easy to get good high frequency!?
Maybe I need to spend more time collecting data and testing?
Originally, I thought that I would have a good performance immediately after switching to "DAEX25FHE-4".

But it seems to be similar to the principle of the tweeter
Does it seem to only be able to find "hard", "thin", "light", "small"???
Can it have more efficient and high-quality high frequency by going this way???
It is estimated that my future data collection and testing may still need a lot

Thanks again for your data and sharing

Here is a picture of the exciter used.
The brown part all around the voice coil (transparent plastic) is the spider. It is glued to voice coil at its inner diameter (25mm, moving), to the exciter frame at the outer diameter (50mm, not moving)
View attachment 1182745
Sorry for my misexpression

There is on phenomena for which I think we have evidences now : it is the exciter noise due to the air trapped in the voice coil area. Happened between 2 to 5kHz?
I mean this noise~
Can you record video (Youtube, FB)?
Thank you very much

Hi Christian.
Motor noise affects all cone drivers with coils.
Exciters are no different.
These are the areas that will probably produce noise.
1. if not securely mounted the terminals will put the exciter out of balance on excessive low frequency movements .
2. The breath hole can cause whistling noises caused by the coil former cavity.
3. The breathing hole cavity at the back of the spider will obviously produce noise.
4. The spider at the front will vibrate out of control producing out of phase noises.
5 .this I have gone on about for a very long time.
You have the cavity in the area behind the panel and magnet and former.
This acts as a cavity resonance similar to a bass reflex port.
You also have another problem within the coil area panel surface.
The hf from the coil former and foot is fired inwards to the centre of the coil.
This causes peaks and cancellations, and distortions.
This can be very painful in the 10k area if not sorted.
6 . The lead out wires can also vibrate too much, or be too tight.
They must not touch the spider or they will buzz.
Large low frequency movements will cause problems with all these points.
Best not to go there.
These problems will change depending on panel materials chosen.
EPS for instance will only need the exciter to move a fraction to produce a room filling sound.
ply for instance will need the exciter to put a lot of pressure (pounding) on the panel, probably causing the former to buckle ( 7.).
Just thought of the nr 7 😊
I would have cut off the grey eps from the coil in the picture, but I want to glue it back into position.
I dropped the panel 🫣
Steve.

Attachments

• 20230612_142808.jpg
    20230612_142808.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230612_142823.jpg
    20230612_142823.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 2 users
I have already made a recording on this forum somewhere of the noise differences from the back and front of the panels.
Steve
Hi Steve

This problem seems to be most manifested by FR (full frequency cone speakers)
This problem seems to occur when FR uses too much EQ adjustment
Because many FR players use one speaker (one coil) for all frequency bands

So what I suspected before should be right?
One coil is responsible for too much bandwidth and there will be "coil sound" (noise)

Am I right?
Thank you so much for sharing

This question tells you my age range and the loudness of my tinnitus, but here goes. I am reading a lot here about sounds in the 9K-20K range. My hearing disappears around 8k. Above that range, all I hear is a very high-pitched squeal (much like a tiny gas leak) that doesn't seem to have any value in my music. I don't understand what benefit there is to squeals higher-pitched than that. Do you think that my hearing has shifted so that tones in the 8k+ range seem higher-pitched than they were when I was younger? It doesn't bother me that I can no longer hear those frequencies, as they never seemed to have any value to the music.
Hi jaxboy.
When you first mentioned your problem with frequencies above 8k ,I reduced the frequency on my system to 8k using my dsp.
This was to give me an idea of what you could hear.
I was surprised at how much I could hear .
You could hear the passion and pain in the opera clip I posted , so I should not have been surprised 🙂
It makes me feel good that I can loose so much of my hearing and still enjoy the music.
As for the squealing noise above 8k.
What happens if you blocked the hf above 8k, would this stop the squealing?
Steve.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Christian.
Motor noise affects all cone drivers with coils.
Exciters are no different.
These are the areas that will probably produce noise.
1. if not securely mounted the terminals will put the exciter out of balance on excessive low frequency movements .
2. The breath hole can cause whistling noises caused by the coil former cavity.
3. The breathing hole cavity at the back of the spider will obviously produce noise.
4. The spider at the front will vibrate out of control producing out of phase noises.
5 .this I have gone on about for a very long time.
You have the cavity in the area behind the panel and magnet and former.
This acts as a cavity resonance similar to a bass reflex port.
You also have another problem within the coil area panel surface.
The hf from the coil former and foot is fired inwards to the centre of the coil.
This causes peaks and cancellations, and distortions.
This can be very painful in the 10k area if not sorted.
6 . The lead out wires can also vibrate too much, or be too tight.
They must not touch the spider or they will buzz.
Large low frequency movements will cause problems with all these points.
Best not to go there.
These problems will change depending on panel materials chosen.
EPS for instance will only need the exciter to move a fraction to produce a room filling sound.
ply for instance will need the exciter to put a lot of pressure (pounding) on the panel, probably causing the former to buckle ( 7.).
Just thought of the nr 7 😊
I would have cut off the grey eps from the coil in the picture, but I want to glue it back into position.
I dropped the panel 🫣
Steve.
This "coil sound" (noise) seems to be "distorted sound" right?

Hi-Fi Full Range speakers playing complex music
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/hi-fi-full-range-speakers-playing-complex-music.234678/

Steve,
I don't hear any squealing above 8K. What I was trying to say was that anything above 8K to me would be non-musical and be heard as just a very high-pitched squeal if I were able to hear that high, which I am not. What opera piece? I'd love to hear it, if you could post it again, or at least tell me where you posted it. That's one of my favorite music types. It's good to have you back on here!

Yes
I know
so i reply
Or is my English statement wrong?
i should say
But it seems that DML is not so easy to get good high frequency!?
Maybe I need to spend more time collecting data and testing?
Originally, I thought that I would have a good performance immediately after switching to "DAEX25FHE-4".

But it seems to be similar to the principle of the tweeter
Does it seem to only be able to find "hard", "thin", "light", "small"???
Can it have more efficient and high-quality high frequency by going this way???
It is estimated that my future data collection and testing may still need a lot

Thanks again for your data and sharing
"DML is not so simple in HF" : well... to go up to 5k is not really a challenge with classic exciters, up to 10k depending on the material. I observed that the HF in my test set up (using standard douple side tape) is generally not as extended than in the 2 pairs I have (plywood with original 3M tape), canvas panel with epoxy glue.