A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Yup directly from youtube. Youtube sound quality is actually really good as it will depend on the recording. I use USB with a DAC and the dac does improve sound quality.

Also when using a DML center channel the exciters should be the same type as the L/R front channels for timbre matching.

The center channel can be placed horizontally while the mains are vertically.
Thanks. I see that in different threads. Could you detail the chain a bit more with settings? From the audio player to the DAC. I had a look to the record you propose and I haven't understood if a native 5.1 format is proposed? Is there a 2 channels to 5.1 expension in your system?

Hello Eric,
Years ago when I built standard loudspeakers, impedance measurement was among my tools for the crossover design. Starting with DML, as it operates mainly in full range I was not seeing the interest. But digging the theoretical approach, I see it informative for the DML too. With REW it is accessible (see the extract below from : REW impedance measurement)
I just followed it. Rsense = 100Ohms. The signal comes from a headphone output of a cheap USB DAC (headphone output for its capability to drive low impedance). The signals are measured by the line input (R&L) of an other USB card. You just need an additional resistor of a known value (ie 10Ohm) for calibration.
I wired all that in a small platic box with speaker type terminals for robustness and easy connections.
View attachment 1183462
@Veleric
Hello Eric
Here are 2 pictures of my implementation of the impedance measurement circuit.
Short explanations :
  • chassis female jack on the left = to be connected to a headphone output (one channel used) = PC or soundcard outputs in the schematics above
  • black and red bananas = speaker connections (+ = red, black = ground)
  • male jack with shielded cable = connection to line in = PC or soundcard inputs in the schematic above
  • Rsense = 100Ohms
  • All the ground are connected together
Christian
1687551107331.png

1687551169365.png

Reactions: 3 users
I use my Yamaha 5.1 channel HT receiver. The receiver has volume controls for each channel as well as delay settings. The center channel even has 5 bands of EQ settings.
That YouTube recording is not coming through as true 5.1, it's 2 channel. I can put my Sony on "Music" which mixes a 2 channel into 5.1 but that is not true 5.1, it's a representation.

Try Pink Floyd - The Wall - Movie if you want to hear some true 5.1 kick *** music.

Reactions: 1 user
Next project:
This is a 2.4metre panel, 280Wrms. There will be four of them for an installation.
There are nine drivers per panel, 5 x 25HFE-4's and 4 x Thrusters. The DML membrane itself is 5mm Foam-X which is a lightweight polyurethane-foam-core board (around 500g/sqm). The front surface is made to be printed on.
Since the panels will be mounted flat onto the walls, I've had to make them 60mm deep, which is a bit deeper than I would like, so there are randomly-perforated acoustic damping panels, two of them, behind the membrane, and two layers of underfelt or mineral wool, depending which offers the best noise absorption coefficient in this design.

Attachments

• 2400x550mm 280Wrms.mp4
    2.5 MB
Reactions: 3 users
Next project:
This is a 2.4metre panel, 280Wrms. There will be four of them for an installation.
There are nine drivers per panel, 5 x 25HFE-4's and 4 x Thrusters. The DML membrane itself is 5mm Foam-X which is a lightweight polyurethane-foam-core board (around 500g/sqm). The front surface is made to be printed on.
Since the panels will be mounted flat onto the walls, I've had to make them 60mm deep, which is a bit deeper than I would like, so there are randomly-perforated acoustic damping panels, two of them, behind the membrane, and two layers of underfelt or mineral wool, depending which offers the best noise absorption coefficient in this design.
Whaou!
You are in (mass) production!

Reactions: 1 users
Next project:
It's interesting that in your applications you're basically forced to snuff out the rear waves and I'm wondering what effect that approach has on the front waves and the overall output response.

Also, have you considered trying to boost the bass output by using the rear baffle as an air spring rather than just absorbing the rear waves

It's great to see that you're having success in getting these units out into the public space

Eucy

It's interesting that in your applications you're basically forced to snuff out the rear waves and I'm wondering what effect that approach has on the front waves and the overall output response.
Hello Eucy,
I remember a patent around that (I can try to find it later if you want) showing
  • a hump in the medium
  • the benefit of having a closed rear volume to "smooth" the modes
In the bass, there is probably a risk of level attenuation as the path for the rear wave to come back is short (far below the wave length) and bass absorption is more difficult. This is the job of the rear panel with its holes?

Whaou!
You are in (mass) production!
Nah, not yet, Christian, I'm still in pre-production. The work I've been doing so far is very specific, and bespoke designs are the only solutions.
If I can get a music chain store to stock the panels, then I might have to go the high volume route. But for now I can get by by doing customized solutions for difficult problems.

Last edited:

Also, have you considered trying to boost the bass output by using the rear baffle as an air spring rather than just absorbing the rear waves

It's great to see that you're having success in getting these units out into the public space

Eucy
Indeed! I believe the design of the rear baffle allows one to both boost and cut certain frequencies. Cut being achieved by using perforations that are tuned to specific frequencies, and boost achieved by the air spring effect using tuned cavities, as you mentioned. I did read somewhere that the air spring effect was also used to dampen certain modes, but I have not spent enough time exploring this yet. So far I have only used the rear baffles as broadband dampers, with plenty damping material, to control the rear dispersion. I think a lot can be done to flatten the response IF the rear wave is not needed.

Yes, it is difficult to absorb the bass on the rear side. If the panels are not mounted against a wall, then there is very little attenuation on the bass, both front and rear, even with a baffle.
But if the panels are mounted flush against a wall, then the bass roll-off is not acceptable. I think this has to do with panel material being too stiff and operating in full pistonic mode at too-high frequency (approx 150hz) which requires phase-based damping from at least 1/4wl upwards.
So I need to experiment with floppy panels for the bass end so that there's at least some bending-mode activity happening in the 100hz region. The theory being that bending waves have out-of-phase components by default. Therefore, the cavity behind the panel, when vibrating in the (1,2) mode, and higher, will be zero loaded.

Watch this space.

https://rachel-shirley.blogspot.com/2013/01/artstores-exhibit-different-types-of.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas

https://www.claessenscanvas.com/en/products/types-of-canvas

https://www.jacksonsart.com/blog/2018/09/13/choosing-the-right-canvas-for-your-painting/

@jaxboy
@spedge
@homeswinghome
@pelanj
@BurntCoil

I would like to ask players who have experience in using canvas
I want to test canvas
But I found that there are many specifications of canvas
Even if it is used on the oil painting frame, there are many kinds
May I ask which kind of SPL is higher for DML?
What is the SPL (dB/1w/1m) you are currently using?
What is the most suitable thickness?

I would like to ask players who have experience in using canvas
I want to test canvas
But I found that there are many specifications of canvas
Even if it is used on the oil painting frame, there are many kinds
May I ask which kind of SPL is higher for DML?
What is the SPL (dB/1w/1m) you are currently using?
What is the most suitable thickness?
Hello Xsuper
I didn't go so deep in the "specifications" of canvas. I just went to the DIY craft store near to me and buy something among the what was available. I guess it is a kind of canvas suitable for oil and for acrylic (not specific). It is linen (not cotton) in my case. I remember that because it is a difference with the examples I had (Spedge, Jaxboy I think). The second difference is the pad is made of balsa not light plywood.
If it is not too, in 2 weeks from now I can search for the paper describing the canvas I bought. It should be somewhere in my workshop...