A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

I don't think these are DML. Are they open baffle?
I had a pair of Leak speakers like this, with a polystyrene cone, many years ago.

I see that they mention NS10's in that brochure...
Yamaha NS10's are probably the most widely used professional studio monitors. They are industry standards. But those on your attachment must be the original concept as I don't recognize them. They must have changed and evolved to the standard that eventually became so popular.

NS-10's
Have a look here André : Yamaha history

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
OK. Seems I missed one of your previous post... DML + FR is not usual in the designs shared here. Have you already described how the frequency ranges are splitted between them? what is their relative efficiency?
Subwoofer < 80HZ
(The subwoofer can also not be used, I personally think it's okay)
I want to test the PPD subwoofer later
But maybe after a long time
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/ppd-subwoofer.393371/

80Hz < DML < 2kHz~6kHz
The frequency of DML depends on the overall situation
But I think good exciter + suitable board
Maybe it should be able to go to 3kHz~6kHz?
Of course, FR also needs a good curve matching
My current combination doesn't feel great
I'm not currently over 2kHZ

So this time I bought some full-range speakers with better medium and high frequencies.
But I'm afraid there will still be "coil sound"
So I bought some dome tweeters this time
Because the seller told me that the effect of "dome tweeter" is still far greater than that of "full-range speaker"
And I think of the case "LX521" shared by "OB Master Linkwitz"
He uses two "dome tweeters" one facing forward and one facing backward
Wait until it arrives later to continue testing

Linkwitz LX521 Reference Loudspeaker

OK. Seems I missed one of your previous post... DML + FR is not usual in the designs shared here. Have you already described how the frequency ranges are splitted between them? what is their relative efficiency?
When "DML", "Full-Range", "Dome Tweer", "PPD Subwoofer" have been tested
Finally I want to test "Air Motion Transformer Tweeter", "Ribbon Tweeter"
This feels similar to DML's large-area sound

The Advantages of Ribbon Tweeters: Achieving Exceptional Audio Clarity

I have not found HF reproduction to be a challenge, apart from when using the large 50w exciters or bad materials. But with most materials I tested...like polycarbonate, plywood and EPS...HF reproduction has not been lacking. In fact I have to reduce HF to not make it not sound too sharp. So not sure why one would use a tweeter or have to chase materials or exciters with maximum possible HF reproduction? Are you actually aiming for a flat curve with no slope?

I do find that basically the higher up in frequency you go, the more DML shows its advantage. Less issue with several sources and reflections due to diffuse nature, very litte distortion at high levels and great directionally and transients. But I guess some people prefer the sound of conventional tweeters for some reason?

No its more like what is factual as that is the only way to actually HEAR sound to make the most honest/accurate judgement for ones own personal preference. It cant work the other way around as no amount of measurements can tell you how it actually sounds like.

Dont get me wrong I am NOT saying measurements cant help but at the end of the day it all comes down to how does it sound.

The problem is people are putting way to much trust in measurements and not enough in there own sense of hearing. They are led to believe that most of the time our senses are tricking us rather then showing us what is actually happening in reality.

We are living in the age were people trust science way more then there own senses which is the reason why a lot of COMMON SENSE has gone out the window for some people. I mean some people cant even tell you "WHAT IS A WOMEN". :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Such a delusional take. Our senses are not giving us an objective view of reality. This is well known on so many levels. Your memory of an event is not more real or correct than a recording, and what you think you hear is not more objective than what a microphone picks up. It is clear how skewed our perception is, that has been proven in so many ways so many times. We constantly trick our senses and modify our memories in different ways in ways we are not conscious about.

But there are many people that confuse their subjective experiences with objective reality, and therefore become agitated when presented with the truth. I guess the what is a woman debate is really rooted in a similar view that you have, where "your reality" is more important than measurements and facts.

I have a 'gifted' and now boxed/stored pair of Audax HD-3P Gold Dome Piezo Tweeters.
These same Tweeters used in a Three way Cabinet Speaker far surpass the other two Audax Drivers and stand out for their producing a exceptional high quality presentation.

With the DML Design being new to me, I have limited input to this thread and am yet to experience a DML Panel Speaker.
The Concept of producing a Hybrid DML is now even newer, but one I would really like to learn if the Audax HD-3P is a donor Tweeter that could be used on a Hybrid DML?

I have not found HF reproduction to be a challenge, apart from when using the large 50w exciters or bad materials. But with most materials I tested...like polycarbonate, plywood and EPS...HF reproduction has not been lacking. In fact I have to reduce HF to not make it not sound too sharp. So not sure why one would use a tweeter or have to chase materials or exciters with maximum possible HF reproduction? Are you actually aiming for a flat curve with no slope?

I do find that basically the higher up in frequency you go, the more DML shows its advantage. Less issue with several sources and reflections due to diffuse nature, very litte distortion at high levels and great directionally and transients. But I guess some people prefer the sound of conventional tweeters for some reason?
I agree in some ways. I find that the panels, whatever material I'm using, do have an aggressive upper midrange, 5k or so, and which spits the sibilants. But that 'air' is lacking, and the sound does benefit from a 9k or so boost.
The (30w) Tectonic drivers I used had no problem >10khz, but I have not found Daytons with the same capability. I have to go right down to Dayton 10w drivers to get decent response at 10khz.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not currently over 2kHZ
As pointed by other answers, there is something strange here. In the materials I tested, without checking carefully, I would say 10k is the mean value reached, 15k or more for the best, 6 or 7k at least (corrugated PP).
Which kind exciter coil to membrane interface do you use? Could it be the HF is attenuated here? Important weight?

In the description of your system I understand woofer/DML/tweeter. In previous post, you mentioned FR. FR = Full Range? Which band is targeted?

I agree in some ways. I find that the panels, whatever material I'm using, do have an aggressive upper midrange, 5k or so, and which spits the sibilants. But that 'air' is lacking, and the sound does benefit from a 9k or so boost.
The (30w) Tectonic drivers I used had no problem >10khz, but I have not found Daytons with the same capability. I have to go right down to Dayton 10w drivers to get decent response at 10khz.
Maybe I'm too old to care about "air" :) I get good response up to 10k, but have seen a 5dB dip centered around 15k. I haven't really bothered tweaking it with EQ since I cannot really hear any difference, with 16k being the limit of my hearing.
By reducing a couple of bumps in the mids I get a reasonably flat slope from 20-20k with around 6db/oct attenuation overall, which seems right to me to keep it warm and fat sounding also at high levels.

As pointed by other answers, there is something strange here. In the materials I tested, without checking carefully, I would say 10k is the mean value reached, 15k or more for the best, 6 or 7k at least (corrugated PP).
Which kind exciter coil to membrane interface do you use? Could it be the HF is attenuated here? Important weight?

In the description of your system I understand woofer/DML/tweeter. In previous post, you mentioned FR. FR = Full Range? Which band is targeted?
Maybe I'm too old to care about "air" :) I get good response up to 10k, but have seen a 5dB dip centered around 15k. I haven't really bothered tweaking it with EQ since I cannot really hear any difference, with 16k being the limit of my hearing.
By reducing a couple of bumps in the mids I get a reasonably flat slope from 20-20k with around 6db/oct attenuation overall, which seems right to me to keep it warm and fat sounding also at high levels.
Hi everyone
Because my current Exciter is not good at high frequency
I will continue to test when my next batch arrives.
Maybe have a good performance?
I don't necessarily have to use tweeters
But until I finish testing the next batch
If I still have "coil sound" after I use DSP adjustment
Then I'll probably use the tweeter first

I've been asked several times
I have never posted Exciter bought from China
Sorry to post it because it's cheap
But I think DIY is all about finding good stuff from cheap
This is when I just started to buy
At that time, I did not understand the specifications and chose the wrong one.

1686412537903.png

1686413294288.png

1686413433065.png

Last edited:
In the description of your system I understand woofer/DML/tweeter. In previous post, you mentioned FR. FR = Full Range? Which band is targeted?In the description of your system I understand woofer/DML/tweeter. In previous post, you mentioned FR. FR = Full Range? Which band is targeted?In the description of your system I understand woofer/DML/tweeter. In previous post, you mentioned FR. FR = Full Range? Which band is targeted?In the description of your system I understand woofer/DML/tweeter. In previous post, you mentioned FR. FR = Full Range? Which band is targeted?
This is 3" FR
Its free curve without baffles
The impression is measured around 2.5M
Because I am just getting started, the frequency range for me is 20K as the standard
Its high-frequency curve extends all the way up
It sounds much better than my current Exciter in the high-frequency
This is a temporary combination
Because I don't have any more suitable exciters and speakers now

1686414437998.png

This question tells you my age range and the loudness of my tinnitus, but here goes. I am reading a lot here about sounds in the 9K-20K range. My hearing disappears around 8k. Above that range, all I hear is a very high-pitched squeal (much like a tiny gas leak) that doesn't seem to have any value in my music. I don't understand what benefit there is to squeals higher-pitched than that. Do you think that my hearing has shifted so that tones in the 8k+ range seem higher-pitched than they were when I was younger? It doesn't bother me that I can no longer hear those frequencies, as they never seemed to have any value to the music.

Maybe I'm too old to care about "air" :)
(Un?)fortunately I often use my panels in front of other musos and radio producers, presenters, DJ's, studio engineers and owners of sound hire companies, many of whom are quick to indicate or to comment on deficiencies in my sound. I can take their comments as authoritative because they mostly line up perfectly with what I know are the weaknesses in my system. It's a great source of input.

The 'air' that I know can get from panels will be an improvement on anything else I've heard on or off stage from other brands, not only because of the response curve, but also because of the audience coverage. It's a priority to me.

By reducing a couple of bumps in the mids...
With EQ or with weights? or rear baffles with strategically placed holes?

Last edited:
It doesn't bother me that I can no longer hear those frequencies, as they never seemed to have any value to the music.
8k huh? That's rough. 😢
Yes, you're not losing notes per se, but what about the breath coming through a sax or a voice--think Diana Krall doing Autumn in New York--or the sound of lips through a trumpet; the close-milked sound of fingers or plectrums on guitar strings, or the sizzle of brushes on high hats...
It's probably more to do with atmosphere than with raw notes.