A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Select the driver that you think sounds the best.

• A

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • E

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
my question - - are good dynamics available with these drivers with ~350Hz FAST setup? can they play things like DAFO's Beast drop, large taiko drum, piano without noticeable strain? fwiw I would want passive xover.

Yes but use soft slopes :D

490542d1435330496-fast-tc9fd-dsp-performace-testing-platform-fr-tweeter-woofer-solos.png

Okay back to real world think if XO upped to 500 - 700Hz area 4 order acoustic and up my exercises with TC9/10F sing loud, a problem is maybe ctc spacing need to be tighter going steeper slopes to sound natural blended and the higher XO points don't help in that way. Over at Zaph website if you go into his blog site and scroll down to 4 ohm version of 10F he write QUOTE "I did some power handling sims and they show that this driver does not need to be treated like a dome midrange with minimal excursion. Even at 300Hz LR2 electrical filtering, calculated Xmax is not exceeded even with 256 watts" UNQUOTE.

Above plot is linked from a TC9FD system shared by Barleywater http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...-performace-testing-platform.html#post4371119.

But with Jay you never know. He keeps calling them names that I can't follow :D

Hehehe but I have solved it now [with the possibility that I have never heard the mystery driver before]. I was right, TG9 and 10F can NOT be too different sound wise. The FR is similar, the fiberglass is similar, from previous experience they do sound similar, so it is just impossible they sound different now. That's why I have always feel there was missing pieces with my prediction.

In my TXT, my preference was: B80--TG9--10F--mystery--TC9 and I realized that 10F could go up to replace TG9 with more listening.

After further listening yesterday with cheap headphone, 10F climbed and my preference was/is: B80--10F--TG9--mystery--TC9.

I have a feeling tho, once I listen through my speakers, 10F will replace B80. This is very reasonable as I have stated in previous round that 10F would beat B80 right after I heard Eric Clapton through my speaker. [Yes, X had provided the two recordings in two different threads].

That's not my mistake. It's you who asked my TXT before I'm ready :D

You mean A & E: the warmer paper cone?

I just say I find the A & F warm ! Not sure if we have a Supravox 5" (light paper 3.5 g) in this test to seem him with A&F but more in the other league of sound (B&D&F!)

BTW, same price than the nice 5" of PRV Audio http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/259293-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications.html because the shipping of this last...(+ maybe 30% customs taxes from USA) thoug I like the way of the PRV 5" unit (BL, and Qts if OB design) + the measurements X made ! What a pity there are not so much Supravox unit in America ! John Krukte never measured it !... For the ones who needs just one driver with more efficienty !

135 LB SUPRAVOX
Supravox 135 LB Mesurements - page 1
Supravox 135 LB Mesurements - page 2

Last edited:
IMHO, this list can be split in two according the listener tastes :

A & F : soft, casual, warmer

B&D&F : more hifi : better resolution, tones, dynamic, clearer (and yes D is definitly not so bad ;), honor is safe for it now !)

Maybe according the room & the system you can only have a preference for one of the two ! In my good damped listening room, It seemed someone putted me Nutella paste in the ears with A, and marmelade with F ! (marmelade is lighter but still a plug of wax !)

What is the max SPL those toys can output in a sealed cabinet ?

Eldam, you typed F twice and didn't write an E. Did you mean
A&F
B&D&E ?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just say I find the A & F warm ! Not sure if we have a Supravox 5" (light paper 3.5 g) in this test to seem him with A&F but more in the other league of sound (B&D&F!)

BTW, same price than the nice 5" of PRV Audio http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/259293-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications.html because the shipping of this last...(+ maybe 30% customs taxes from USA) thoug I like the way of the PRV 5" unit (BL, and Qts if OB design) + the measurements X made ! What a pity there are not so much Supravox unit in America ! John Krukte never measured it !... For the ones who needs just one driver with more efficienty !

135 LB SUPRAVOX
Supravox 135 LB Mesurements - page 1
Supravox 135 LB Mesurements - page 2

That Supravox 135LB looks very nice. Although 35 watts vs 5MR450NDY's 225 watts rms is quite different.

IMHO, this list can be split in two according the listener tastes :

A & F : soft, casual, warmer

B&D&E : more hifi : better resolution, tones, dynamic, clearer (and yes D is definitly not so bad ;), honor is safe for it now !)

Maybe according the room & the system you can only have a preference for one of the two ! In my good damped listening room, It seemed someone putted me Nutella paste in the ears with A, and marmelade with F ! (marmelade is lighter but still a plug of wax !)

What is the max SPL those toys can output in a sealed cabinet ?

This split I made too, however I hear all speakers having louder treble than reference tracks. So the peanutbutter is in ears with referencetracks.

I read the first few pages, then skipped to the end, so apologies if this has been asked and answered: I'm curious to see the poll results tied to specific speaker drivers. When do you expect that to happen?

EDIT [removed preferences and placed them in a text file]
/EDIT

Jeff

Attachments

• Choices as of 150911.txt
    576 bytes · Views: 55
Last edited:
Oops... I misremembered. I thought that conjecture as to which speakers correlated to which letter was forbidden, not preferences on the letters.

I corrected my post. If you would please edit your post to eliminate the offending information in the quote, we should be good (or at least better; too bad that the e-mail notifications include the actual, original post).

Jeff

X,

About the Supravox, I don't know is 6 mm is the max exursion before dammage or is simply the Xmax : datasheet is not clear, I assume it's more the first scenario :( . Output could be too low for a FAST at 500 but good enough (>115 dB spl on the online calculator with 6 mm of cone exursion for around 700 hz !). For sure I will prefer the PRV... can't find it in Europe ! I believe it could be also an idea to talk about the max spl output of each tested driver here)

Here 3 tracks I talked to you (free to you to keep or not one for a test), sorry in advance if the output is bad I just discover Audaticy 2 days ago, as far I understand it is stereo 320 I outputed from the Flac 8 I have.)

Fever capture is by Musica Nuda reccorded at Radio France radio station in a public event : there is harmonica, hands claps, saturation & huge dynamic in the high : it distorses to my ears on some peaks so can interressant maybe !

Suite N°2 is a grand piano solo in a little Church by Didier Squiban , the reccording company has "audiophile" priorities. a lot of reverbs can be heard and the piano sounds loud in the low from light in the highs. Good reccording according to me.

Time to time is from Ben Webster: in this reccording on a system with a lot of resolution, the sound is a mix of the hard wood reed full of détails with dynamic attacks and breath.

swap the.asc with .mp3

Attachments

• Fever.asc
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • Suite Nr 2 'Ker Eon'- 5.asc
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • Time After Time.asc
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
This split I made too, however I hear all speakers having louder treble than reference tracks. So the peanutbutter is in ears with referencetracks.

Maybe it could be possible to try 20 s of a flac for tests if the mods are able to agree with techs & adminastrators of a higher asc file size... maybe with a time triger limitation (one month to allow people to read and download) : after one month automatic delete of the files to allow a light database :D

I don't know, just two cents... after all if the highs in mp3 drills the ears there is at least a concistency in the test, and at the end it stays subjective as there is in the reccord the sound of the mic+room and at listening the added impedance of our system + an other listening room again !

But with all those limitations, people agree on the results, so according to me the test stays valid to have a first idea of a driver quality !

I have a question : is it valid to mix a planar in a test like a B&G Neo 8 e.g. ? how to benchmark the size of a cone with the size of a little planar ? same cm² Sd ????

Last edited:
Maybe it could be possible to try 20 s of a flac for tests if the mods are able to agree with techs & adminastrators of a higher asc file size... maybe with a time triger limitation (one month to allow people to read and download) : after one month automatic delete of the files to allow a light database :D

I don't know, just two cents... after all if the highs in mp3 drills the ears there is at least a concistency in the test, and at the end it stays subjective as there is in the reccord the sound of the mic+room and at listening the added impedance of our system + an other listening room again !

But with all those limitations, people agree on the results, so according to me the test stays valid to have a first idea of a driver quality !

I have a question : is it valid to mix a planar in a test like a B&G Neo 8 e.g. ? how to benchmark the size of a cone with the size of a little planar ? same cm² Sd ????
I am not sure the lifted treble in all the tracks is due to mp3. The reference tracks were shared with us in mp3 format and don't have this effect. Plus XRK is using 320kbit mp3s which are high quality with very few artifacts.

I suspect this is caused by a lifting treble response in the microphones used to record. Many microphones have a lifted treble and need to have this EQ adjusted as part of the mixing and mastering process.

See here is the frequency response of the zoom h4 which will be imprinted on all these recordings.
To quote from Ken Rockwell's review (http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/zoom/h4n.htm)

[SIZE=+2]Sound[/SIZE]
Bright
The built-in mics are slightly bright, and as confirmed by their rated response, they indeed are about 5 dBs hot on the high end:
rated-response.gif
Zoom H4n microphone frequency response (rated).
This will make your files nice, crisp and clear, but watch out for hi-fi use.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is a Zoom H4N, a newer and different model than my Zoom H4 used here. Back in post 137 I showed the response of the H4 vs a calibrated UMM-6 with pink noise as the source. I don't think there is a treble lift at 5kHz like the 4N. It is actually a little depressed above 15kHz but within 2dB around the 5kHz range. It maybe that the drivers have a mild naturally rising response and since Round 2, I stopped applying a -3dB low Q high shelf as baffle step compensation. I match SPL between the woofer and full range near the XO point but if the driver has a self rising response - it is left alone and that may be what you are hearing.

Here is the H4 vs calibrated mic with pink noise.

494489d1437339263-worlds-best-midrange-blind-testing-need-your-help-zommh4-vs-umm6-pink-spectrum.png

Last edited: