A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Select the driver that you think sounds the best.

• A

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • E

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jay,

Irribeo's prediction is identical to mine in post #134, except that Irribeo gives name to mystery driver.

I continued listening; and sometimes think I may have voted differently.

I have very little expectation that my guesses are even partially correct.

The levels at which these drivers were recorded at are low enough that HD, and IMD are not factors. Your distortion impressions of recordings listening to headphone v listening to speaker strongly support this view.

We know for fact that at least one driver has phase plug and that at least three drivers don't.

Try thinking about X's room as reverb effect with five settings.

Drum hits in clip-2 are cleanest and broadest spectrum events of the three clips. Listen closely to reference for attack and reverberation of drum hits. From these you get a sense of how big a room the original recording was made in. In X's room the original space's presence is swamped by slap back. I'm sure hand claps in X's room cling to all the corners. With speaker just about pointing perfectly at opposite corner of room, this is strongest first reflection, walls 45 degrees off axis are pair of second strongest first reflections, but receive speaker's off axis response. These three reflections form strong 2nd reflections from walls and corner behind speaker and come back to microphone as well.

Irrebeos's and my guess for letter as mystery driver may well be wrong, and it could be B80 or 10f, and either of these could also just as easily be current leader.

In the end, I voted for what seemed most pleasing to me.

Personally, I've formed a bias for Nd motors with high ratio of BL to surface area. And also for drivers with nice cast frames. Based on this, X's reference monitor, Jeshi's comments in other thread on first impressions after receiving a pair, and price v B80, I've ordered a pair of 10f from Madisound. How could I be disappointed?

Jay,
Irribeo's prediction is identical to mine in post #134, except that Irribeo gives name to mystery driver.

I continued listening; and sometimes think I may have voted differently.

You didn't post your ranking but from your comment I think we have same favorite. But I never thought that I would prefer something else.

I think one driver sounds "high end" but very weird. You commented that it seems it doesn't like the crossover point. In the previous round I have similar impression [such as the too much exaggerated details or second harmonics] of this driver [B80].

The levels at which these drivers were recorded at are low enough that HD, and IMD are not factors. Your distortion impressions of recordings listening to headphone v listening to speaker strongly support this view.

Yes, so it seems. I just listened through my sennheiser and handphone [better than my usual iPod4] and less distortion was heard. And the effect is that those drivers that received bad ranking due to distortion became a better performer now. Especially my bottom ranking, TC9 [your mystery driver], now become very sweet in vocal, natural and very musical. But no improvement to the mystery driver [your TC9].

We know for fact that at least one driver has phase plug and that at least three drivers don't.

Hmmm, I had no idea how to use that information...

Drum hits in clip-2 are cleanest and broadest spectrum events of the three clips. Listen closely to reference for attack and reverberation of drum hits. From these you get a sense of how big a room the original recording was made in.

I've never listened [the room] that way...

My favorite [10F?] wins in this important clip, followed by TG9 with similar sound. Important because it's jazz. But strangely the drum attack is similar in tonality to [TC9?] and the reference clip, but not to TG9. B80 is completely weird here.

This is getting interesting. can't wait to see the results!
Hope the TC9 does not beat the 10F :eek:

xrk971, did you get the Tymphany TPY03 (TC9 sibling) Kevlar coned driver?

Is there a point in adding this driver to your tests as it no longer available in the market?

If yes, then I may be able to :Present: you a pair of those black beauties as I have got 7 extras left from my line arrays project; even though the shipping will actually cost me twice the drivers!

This is getting interesting. can't wait to see the results!
Hope the TC9 does not beat the 10F :eek:

xrk971, did you get the Tymphany TPY03 (TC9 sibling) Kevlar coned driver?

Is there a point in adding this driver to your tests as it no longer available in the market?

If yes, then I may be able to :Present: you a pair of those black beauties as I have got 7 extras left from my line arrays project; even though the shipping will actually cost me twice the drivers!

Please do :Present: him a pair... it will be interesting to see what the other long lost member's place was among this crazy family.

It seems that my ears are not anymore so good they were some 50 years ago... really difficult to for me to hear remarkable difference between these drivers.
But as I have TG9 and B80, 2pcs each, I think all I need is to start building cabinets ( but exact cabinet type, maybe FAST, don't know yet)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It seems that my ears are not anymore so good they were some 50 years ago... really difficult to for me to hear remarkable difference between these drivers.
But as I have TG9 and B80, 2pcs each, I think all I need is to start building cabinets ( but exact cabinet type, maybe FAST, don't know yet)

You have two drivers that made into final round 4 - you can't go wrong. But try the FAST approach, it can produce some of the best full range magic with bass impact of a multiway.

.....I've ordered a pair of 10f from Madisound. How could I be disappointed?

Interesting :).

X recently shared sound clips where some better 2" and 3" metal cones are paired his metal cone woofer reference monitor RS225-8, those sound clips sounded so good that it made me order fiberglass cone woofers to pair with 10F to see if cone material coherence move anything positive. 22W/8534 and 18W/8434 latter seen below naked first listening.

Attachments

• 18W8434G00.JPG
    18W8434G00.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 372