A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Select the driver that you think sounds the best.

• A

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • E

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder if Tympany bought Peerless just to get legal rights to their perhaps patented glass fiber cone design so they could build a better version of the TG9 (?) One with more linear dynamic range when used at higher levels and/or at lower frequencies, largely due to a stiffer frame (?)

The reference had a very different sounding FR, but has value from the point of view of perceptible distortion to some degree. If you hear distortion in a test driver, but not in the reference, then maybe it's the test driver that's distorting.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'd live to participate, but I can't get iOS/safari to allow me to download the files. None the less, I'm interested in the result.

I downloaded it on a Mac just fine. You need to rename it after you download it to .mp3 extension.

Unless you have some strange AV software that won't allow .asc files to come through?

Describe what error message you get maybe we can help.

It says "DOWNLOAD FAILED"
"Safari Cannot Download This File"

Any help would be appreciated.

You welcome PM me a ordinary pop3 or google account email address i can attach sound clips into several messages. All 15 sound clips plus the 3 reference tracks is mp3 320kB 48kHz and will sum to 30,9Mb and therefor will spread them over several messages to not hit mailbox limits.

You could also try the clips in Barleywater's post (only the second sound clip but he said he was open for requests)

I checked trim values and spotted apparent typo. Trim value for A should be 4947 samples.

Here is link to clip-2 recordings trimmed for alignment:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uq2mjm93rjk7ynl/AACTRtiBmAqNQ_ItI3o7dB-za?dl=0

These are 16bit wave files; I didn't want to convert back to mp3.

If others are interested in ABX with aligned tracks for other clips, and even clips from prior rounds, chime in.

But maybe that was only for the timing...

Last edited:
well it is looking more and more like we will not have a statistically significant "winner" or even "looser" in this round.
I am sure a few more votes will come in, but using a binomial test with confidence interval, the current "winner" is only showing 90% confidence over random, "loser" is showing a 93% confidence over random. Everything else looks random. We really want at least a 95% confidence to say anything.

we need at least 2 more voters to chime in to get some significance!
come on get out there and VOTE!!

in case anyone wants to read up on statistics for preference testing, this page is pretty good and easy to understand.
How to statistically test preference data: MeasuringU

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
With 32 votes and assuming Poisson statistics a difference of greater than 5 is required to exceed 1 standard deviation (sigma=sqrt(32)). So all we can say is that the top 2 are statistically significant over the loser. I was sort of guessing we would be here because the drivers are all so good it's hard to pick a winner. This means that almost any of these can work as a good driver and you would be happy with. At least from a statistically significant viewpoint.

Thanks xrk971. Not just for the help, but for doing all this work. Not sure which one I'll eventually put into a system, but safe to say that this input will be helpful. After hearing a number of FRers in Akihabara, I prefer the smaller ones w/ some sort of subwoofer over larger drivers.

Any idea which driver can ultimately play louder when crossed over in the 2-500 Hz range?

Thanks again!

With 32 votes and assuming Poisson statistics a difference of greater than 5 is required to exceed 1 standard deviation (sigma=sqrt(32)). So all we can say is that the top 2 are statistically significant over the loser. I was sort of guessing we would be here because the drivers are all so good it's hard to pick a winner. This means that almost any of these can work as a good driver and you would be happy with. At least from a statistically significant viewpoint.

Ok the top two might be statistically significant over the looser if the test was rerun with only those choices, but in the current form and comparing against random (probability that it is different from 20% 1/5 chance of being random) then it is still not significant.

but you are right that so far the results and statistics are showing that all these are good drivers (which we kind of knew going in)

I haven't been in Akihabara in 10 years--probably the best place for DIY speaker builders. I wish I could remember the names of the various shops I was in. Everyone on this site should go at least once in their life. Having the privilege of teaching English in Tokyo was a big help. I spent a lot of time in a lot of places in Tokyo(not to mention outside of there). When I was there, the alnico Fostex were pretty much top of the heap IMO. At the time they were about $100 cheaper there than they were here in the USA. Japanese speaker nuts should count their blessings.