A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Select the driver that you think sounds the best.

• A

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • E

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
IMO, the biggest improvement anyone can make in their system, besides the speakers and room acoustics, is the addition of good tone controls. I designed up a 4 section Baxandall circuit. There is plenty of help available on the web for how to do that. Those who have no tone controls are fools. Another substantial improvement is to bi-amp, and add active EQ to pump up the low bass, below 100HZ, with a 10 - 15 dB peak at 30HZ, so it's acoustically somewhat flat to 30HZ at the listening position. HUGE improvement there IMO.
This exactly the way I have been following for many years, after many years of „praise of flatness” (although now I know my systems where everything but flat).
Now my main audio system with Garzon’s Trifield decoder, contained three TG9 drivers, is equipped with various tone controls:
Ambler-type tone control (also known as Quad tilt tone control):
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bass:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dynamic loudness:

All these filters are implemented in a Sigma DSP and easily remotely controlled by a user.
I have so many records which call for at least slight tone adjustments. The tilt control, although quite gentle, can be very effective and useful.

Norah Jones' Turn Me On sounded awesome. The snare drum sounded more present thru the PS95 than the Vifa. Vocals were great with Norah but Diana Krall was airier and wispier. There's a bit of wispy on every song played thru the PS95 Sibilants are more pronounced and everything sounds better off axis. Vocals have less weight than the Vifa but strings sound larger and float apart from the rest of the music. Treble is detailed and stronger than the Vifa. Accompanying musicians are more apparent and more easily audible. Miles Davis sounded vibrant. Horns are beautifully portrayed if a bit thinner than the Vifa. There's a sheen with PS95. Pop music bounces along nicely.

The live comparison in my apartment was similar to the virtual one in that the main differences between the drivers are apparent. But live, these drivers are far superior to the virtual experience.

The PS95 bristles with life where the Vifa remains neutral and more mellow. I think the midrange is more mature and truer to real life with the Vifa while the PS95 adds a bit of color and sparkle. As an audiophile I know the Vifa is more accurate but the PS95 will probably get more play time. It produces a larger image probably due to the increased treble. Piano twinkles more and there's more sustain on the notes. It's a very colorful driver that tints and flatters the music. I love it! It's much more than a pretty face and it works great in my open baffle setup accompanied by Alpha 15's in H-frames.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 441
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Round 5 Lineup

Is this too many drivers?

505475d1442938731-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-4-round-5-lineup.jpg

From 9 O'clock and clock wise:

1. Tectonic Elements TEBM46C20N-4B BMR 3in (4 ohm Nd magnet paper cone)
2. Alpine OEM p/n 68223392AA 3.5in full range for Jeep Wrangler (4 ohm Nd magnet poly carbon cone with aluminum dustcap)
3. Fountek FR88EX 3.5in (8 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)
4. Vifa TC7FD00-04 2.5in (4 ohm ferrite magnet paper cone)
5. Tymphany NE65W-04 2.0 in (4 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)
6. Tang Band W2-852SH 2.0 in (4 ohm Nd magnet paper cone)
7. Fountek FR56EX (Central) 2in (8 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)

Although TC7 is a good performer, it's really in family with TC9, but with real 20kHz reach. I am thinking of leaving it out to keep at 6 entrants.

Most of the data has been acquired already and I did it in the Dagger as mounted like Round 4. I know many people are saying the Nautaloss is better as it has more room to breathe but I took data before all that feedback came in. No time to repeat everything.

Attachments

• Round-5-Lineup.jpg
    Round-5-Lineup.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 6,070
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
How about having the 3 inch drivers fight it out and adding something from Fostex?

The 2 inch drivers can battle against each other.

Just a thought. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to another comparison test!

Battle of the 3 inchers and Battle of the 2 inchers sounds like an interesting idea. I don't have any Fostex other than the FF105Wk which I have tested already. An FF85WK would be good for the 3 in battle but unless someone wants to provide one - that's it.

Lots of 2 inchers at the moment.

... The snare drum sounded more present thru the PS95 than the Vifa... There's a bit of wispy on every song played thru the PS95 Sibilants are more pronounced and everything sounds better off axis. Vocals have less weight than the Vifa but strings sound larger and float apart from the rest of the music. Treble is detailed and stronger than the Vifa.

The PS95 bristles with life where the Vifa remains neutral and more mellow. I think the midrange is more mature and truer to real life with the Vifa while the PS95 adds a bit of color and sparkle.

I agree. The previously-published Impulse Response graphs, to me, tell the tale and explain why I thought the PS95-8 sounded more 'detailed'.

Jeff

Nice review Godzila,

So you should also like the B80 (F driver) if you appreciate the Dayton !

The review seems so far of my own feeling about the virtual experience (test4) than I would you to ask what amp drive the Daytons ? And ask myself if we are not biased by our taste (e.g. : I listen myself metal cone for a long time !)

You said it is far from the experiment with the same driver, could it be different with hearing 20 s of flac instead 45s of mp3 (if 20 s of mp3 has about the same size than 45 s mp3?)

Battle of the 3 inchers and Battle of the 2 inchers sounds like an interesting idea. I don't have any Fostex other than the FF105Wk which I have tested already. An FF85WK would be good for the 3 in battle but unless someone wants to provide one - that's it.

Lots of 2 inchers at the moment.

SPL equivalent level at 1m?

XO 350Hz? If so, maybe IM will become a voting factor with 2".

BMR should make room uniformly bright. If it holds to published specification, should be a top contender with FR88.

Alpine cone profile likely to produce directivity issues, but this could prove advantageous in your space.

BYRTT, xrq971,

for your collection of testing clips :

Here the clip in mp3 to able you to listen if there is an interrest or not. Here it is about the great dynamic and the complex sounding (finale Symphony 4 from Tchaikovsky) which would be a nightmare for a FR ! Come from a good mono reccording. Here in the true event, there were certainly peaks near the max symphonic classical allow : (130 dB !). The cd was remastered at Abbey Road, and despite it's a CD, subjective dynamic feeling stay huge like the spl and push some speakers to the limit on some peaks !

For quality of tone, I stay on the clip 2 of the page 21 of this thread I already linked :)grand Piano solo + soundstage ambiance in a Church : from low end to mid-treble with many smooth tones and space ambiance, also with a great dynamic between the beginning and the end).

On the same page 21 the first clip about harmonica is a hard one to play with correct tone for any system !

If any of those 3 clips are interresting you, let me know about the flac to be sended.

This clip seems to have compression/limiting, and a nasty fade effect at about 27 seconds. For comparison I listened to several youtube renditions; virtually all were better to me. Without including quieter passage, this clip is wall of sound; it goes on for 40 seconds with VU meter hovering between -7dB and -2dB of full scale.

I've got a nice collection of raw classical recordings; here is link to Tchaikovsky - Variations on a Roccoco Theme:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yacpwux856dhtvo/Tchaikovsky - Variations on a Roccoco Theme.wav?dl=0

Enjoy!

Nice review Godzila,

So you should also like the B80 (F driver) if you appreciate the Dayton !

The review seems so far of my own feeling about the virtual experience (test4) than I would you to ask what amp drive the Daytons ? And ask myself if we are not biased by our taste (e.g. : I listen myself metal cone for a long time !)

You said it is far from the experiment with the same driver, could it be different with hearing 20 s of flac instead 45s of mp3 (if 20 s of mp3 has about the same size than 45 s mp3?)

PS95-8 was recorded and measured 30º off axis that must give a difference because it has rising response on axis, below taken from Daytons datasheets (PS95-8/RS100-4/RS100P-4), RS series is smother but also little costlier.

Attachments

• Dayton.png
    Dayton.png
    712.7 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
From the graphs, I can see that off axis performance of PS95 is better with more sparkle - consistent with description by Godzilla. It seems that the phase plug is not the source of this enhanced off axis capability as all three have a phase plug. Perhaps the smaller diameter or thinner cone with more breakup?

And hear I though that the Holy Grail was max flat on axis.:eek:

Bob

I'm currently using the SMSL SA50 amp to drive my speakers. I believe it's a bit bright which doesn't help the Dayton PS95.

The PS95 is not perfect but no driver is. The trend of the more preferred drivers in these subjective tests is flat on axis response. Off axis things change and then I believe room interaction plays a major role. In addition, the drivers are on an open baffle... which I very much enjoy.

The PS95 might benefit from tweaks but I'll keep mine stock until swapping it out for the next affordable good value.

Certainly swapping drivers means becoming accustomed to a different sound each time. The PS95 is tipped up and your ears must adjust. You angle it until finding your preferred sweet spot. Then you enjoy some music a while.

It has a delicate, sweet and detailed sound that when compared to the Vifa some may find airy and lightweight. It has a touch more sibilance than the Vifa (for example) likely due to its rising top octaves. I think the PS95 would be an excellent match for tube lovers.

Regardless, perhaps becasue I swap drivers in and out of my system relatively often I listen differently? Maybe a bit of a fancy flaw (not a deadly flaw) in a driver gets me into the music again and again because I hear different things? And I love the SA50 with the PS95 even if it is a bit bright - but it's not offensive. We are talking about drivers that are pretty darn flat. You can do a lot worse.

This clip seems to have compression/limiting, and a nasty fade effect at about 27 seconds. For comparison I listened to several youtube renditions; virtually all were better to me. Without including quieter passage, this clip is wall of sound; it goes on for 40 seconds with VU meter hovering between -7dB and -2dB of full scale.

I've got a nice collection of raw classical recordings; here is link to Tchaikovsky - Variations on a Roccoco Theme:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yacpwux856dhtvo/Tchaikovsky%20-%20Variations%20on%20a%20Roccoco%20Theme.wav?dl=0

Enjoy!

Ah, for me I hear just a big dynamic and high spl ... (have a lot of fun to listen to it in my car (Audax+Focal) when I'm near Young men whom listen to Boom-Boom music ! :D in their car... Vroum Vroum !:cool: )

Any advise for the same passage but from a better conductor and reccording ? (mine was from EMI classics, Great Reccordings of the Century, Mono , ADD, Tchaiko. Symp. 4; Sir Thomas Beecham - not the football player- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - 1958, recooked at AbbeyRoad
Thanks for the dropbox !

Last edited:
Is this too many drivers?

505475d1442938731-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-4-round-5-lineup.jpg

From 9 O'clock and clock wise:

1. Tectonic Elements TEBM46C20N-4B BMR 3in (4 ohm Nd magnet paper cone)
2. Alpine OEM p/n 68223392AA 3.5in full range for Jeep Wrangler (4 ohm Nd magnet poly carbon cone with aluminum dustcap)
3. Fountek FR88EX 3.5in (8 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)
4. Vifa TC7FD00-04 2.5in (4 ohm ferrite magnet paper cone)
5. Tymphany NE65W-04 2.0 in (4 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)
6. Tang Band W2-852SH 2.0 in (4 ohm Nd magnet paper cone)
7. Fountek FR56EX (Central) 2in (8 ohm Nd magnet aluminum cone)

Although TC7 is a good performer, it's really in family with TC9, but with real 20kHz reach. I am thinking of leaving it out to keep at 6 entrants.

Most of the data has been acquired already and I did it in the Dagger as mounted like Round 4. I know many people are saying the Nautaloss is better as it has more room to breathe but I took data before all that feedback came in. No time to repeat everything.

Great picture : )

If time frame is set as this round think be it 6 or 7 doesn't matter, and guess by now Jay finished his new amp build and ready for next round.

Data is acquired for next round so test tracks is locked, because there's some input talks regarding test tracks will express i liked best the three ones from round 1 and 2.

.....I've got a nice collection of raw classical recordings; here is link to Tchaikovsky - Variations on a Roccoco Theme:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yacpwux856dhtvo/Tchaikovsky%20-%20Variations%20on%20a%20Roccoco%20Theme.wav?dl=0

Enjoy!

Thanks not my favorite genre but this is nice piece of music where instruments talks or tell one a story so did enjoy.

BYRTT, xrq971,

for your collection of testing clips :

Here the clip in mp3 to able you to listen if there is an interrest or not. Here it is about the great dynamic and the complex sounding (finale Symphony 4 from Tchaikovsky) which would be a nightmare for a FR ! Come from a good mono reccording. Here in the true event, there were certainly peaks near the max symphonic classical allow : (130 dB !). The cd was remastered at Abbey Road, and despite it's a CD, subjective dynamic feeling stay huge like the spl and push some speakers to the limit on some peaks !

For quality of tone, I stay on the clip 2 of the page 21 of this thread I already linked :)grand Piano solo + soundstage ambiance in a Church : from low end to mid-treble with many smooth tones and space ambiance, also with a great dynamic between the beginning and the end).

On the same page 21 the first clip about harmonica is a hard one to play with correct tone for any system !

If any of those 3 clips are interresting you, let me know about the flac to be sended.

Thanks, not my favorite genre but if you want 10F recording revealed with the recooked AbbeyRoad release PM me and will upload before you get back home and have best journey as long.