A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Select the driver that you think sounds the best.

• A

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • E

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • F

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BYRTT,

Should I export in this format : 48kHz/export as 16bit 48kHz flac on your cloud page with Audaticity or would you prefer to hear it directly converted in stereo or mono mp3 linked here ? (same bit/upsampling than the original but in 320 MP3 ?)

It's great to have somtimes more tracks for further comparaisons or round 2 tests ! If needed !

Very small lightweight MEMs IC accelerometers (<$1) are used in phones, toy RC helicopters etc. They weigh nothing and are full of advanced capability. If someone can find one that is mounted to a small pcb and thin digital wires we would have something perfect for panel resonance. Scientific accelerometers using same principle are pricey in $1k range.

Here is an example of a 3 axis 16-bit one that is 3x3x1 mm in size.

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/DM00040962.pdf

A simple piezo disc can work (but are at least a couple of grams) and of course you would have to calibrate as fr would be unknown.

Piezo guitar bridge pick.ups are considerably lighter.

I have access to a couple of B & K triaxis accelerometers, but like most they require careful bonding to the surface. Any compliance in the mounting, however small, has large effects on the quality of measurement.

@Brytt,

Cool!!! I'll have to hook up to the cloud and listen :) the drum balance is sweet on that track.

@Jeshi,

Since birch ply is so costly there (I had no idea)...

If bamboo ply easily available?

To clarify, I often come across as obstinate (I think).

I am also no materials engineer. But my doubts with materials such as EVA foam (sorry X et all but i don't consider foamcore a serious material for anything), well my concern is such a compliant material in use ALONE.

Its very likely that a composite using EVA as one part, could best a single material - dare I say it? With ease. But I still think it needs a rigid counterpart to form that composite.

(talk of CLD is prevalent here, but few really end up creating little than a composite - true CLD is incredibly difficult to implement.

Last edited:
Eldam,
Been away all day for a family party, will check and get back how my cloud drive can be managed so you X and others can get write permission to exchange high resolution clips.
The cloud drive is a new application added to my cheap internet domain i had for several years with purpose to have same email account name for rest of life instead of changing that every time one get new internet provider, but as said cloud function is new and will have to read up on management, there is actual 13Gb nice free space on the domain so plenty of room : )

Have you listen yet 10F with the higher resolution sound clips.

Also for recording chain i could go from 16bit/48kHZ recording by my USB UCA222 Behringer to a M-Audio AP192 or Xonar Essence ST recording at 24bit/96kHz would that be of any worth.

Last edited:
In post 620 it looks like the TC9 competed well against the 10F for distortion. I wonder if the sine wave generator might have that 5th harmonic distortion product embedded in it, rather than it being a product of the driver (?).

Although I respect Linkwitz creating a cardioid emission for his 4 inch mid/tweeter in the LX Mini, I think I'd go omni there myself. I put a TC9 in a 4 inch inner diameter ABS plastic tube about 8 inches long, very well damped in the back half, mounted in a bookshelf cabinet (10 X 19 X9 - see photo) so baffle step isn't a major issue, and it measured very flat from 400HZ on up. Without the cabinet baffle board I would expect some baffle step below maybe 1kHZ, but that's not hard to EQ out.

Attachments

• AR4XC wb.jpg
    AR4XC wb.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 442
Eldam,
Been away all day for a family party, will check and get back how my cloud drive can be managed so you X and others can get write permission to exchange high resolution clips.
The cloud drive is a new application added to my cheap internet domain i had for several years with purpose to have same email account name for rest of life instead of changing that every time one get new internet provider, but as said cloud function is new and will have to read up on management, there is actual 13Gb nice free space on the domain so plenty of room : )

Have you listen yet 10F with the higher resolution sound clips.

Also for recording chain i could go from 16bit/48kHZ recording by my USB UCA222 Behringer to a M-Audio AP192 or Xonar Essence ST recording at 24bit/96kHz would that be of any worth.

I Got The clips from xrk971 on my laptop, but as outside from home I didn't listened it yet ! Didn't link to your Cloud either !

But my Library and laptop is almost following me ! Ok I will try this night as I'm a little sleeper to putt here the clips I talked in mp3 320 / 45s /stereo format. If You and X like it as a further test possibility (e.g. to benchmark two close driver ;)) I can link later the Flac files to allow you to work with it according your protocol or wisch if you find it usefull)

Very nice! FIR filters for XO and system HP work very well. You could possibly get away with a bit of base extension and associated phase work and get good square wave down at lower frequencies.....

If understand right you mean little more IRR bass frq amplitude extension and then by FIR super linear flat phase down at lows too. A more linear flat phase down there i could try soon but regarding IRR frq amplitude i have problems. Probably because of speaker placement on a shelf up against a wall, then if measurements at that mic spot in space i up the low end frq spectre power reponse and bass get boomy out in room probably because of placement and this rooms mode (4,25x4 meter). At plot it looks like have no very deep bass at mic spot in space but out in room it goes lower. Could also as wesayso do measure from 3 meter but then phase gets a mess and published square waves look alikes probably ruined. To have power response fair right i use headphones to comepare with room sound but could also try pink noice and a RTA and see how mic at different spots look like, any suggestions and experience is welcome. Attach a plot psychoacoustic smoothing to see how little a bass boost at that mic 0,54cm on axis spot in space it takes to sound boomy and bad power response out in room, gold trace is the good one from post 607 orange is bad even it actual also have lifted flatter top end. Had been a nice learning exercise subjective it performs better than any speaker i had and next will investigate a box where 10F is closer to woofer for getting XO frq point inside 1/4 wavelength rule and also try pair 10F with woofer from Discover series to hear if same cone material will benefit sound. After the sealed ordinary squared boxes then LXmini right : )

.....I've done some survey measurements of 10f running as naked dipole.

I started with 440Hz sine wave, and was immediately taken to task for earlier post about audibility of HD at low levels. By ear the level didn't seem very high at all, but a distinct higher frequency signal was present that at certain points in room where fundamental has standing nulls really stood out. I set up a track with 440Hz and track with 5th harmonic and adjusted mix for hearing lowest level, and found this was with 2200Hz mixed -62dB to 440Hz. Respeating with 3080Hz, I could discern this mixed in at about -55dB. OK, hat eaten! With music signals these levels have little impact on perception, or according to Geddes no impact. IMD and transient IMD play bigger role in roughing up the sound.

A full range sweep at less than 2 volts rms (didn't get the volt meter out!):

View attachment 505057

Then sweep at 4.6 volts rms:

View attachment 505058

Next sweep at 2.0 volts rms, followed by 2 volt sweeps of TC9FD in sealed 4" diameter pipe, and of FU10RB in LXmini setup with driver mounted in front of well stuffed 3" diameter pipe 5" long.

10f:

View attachment 505059

TC9:

View attachment 505060

FU10RB:

View attachment 505061

Dipoles seem to incur 2nd harmonic peak below dipole peak. It will be interesting to see results of 10f mounted LXmini style. In a new thread.

Do you measure with another program than REW and then import IR to use REW for publishing, ask because noticed measurements frq resolution run out to 48kHz and as far i know REW is limited to 16bit/48kHz, plot frq resolution 24kHz.

Thanks the survey and TC9/FU10RB plots too, may one use those on axis plots to compare performance their HF part and roll off up there or should that be avoided because they don't sit in same baffle arrangement. TC9 looks really good on axis compared those two more expensive ones.

Attachments

• FR.png
    FR.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
BYRTT; REW was used with ASIO drivers. Sample rates supported are dependent on soundcard and drivers.

---------------

Survey measurements of prior post were made with microphone 9"-12" from driver and was moved between measurements. Microphone is only approximately on axis. Overlays of 10f FR plots show how prone 3-4" drivers are to beaming effects due to changes of a few microseconds in arrival times of sound from all points of driver surface at microphone.

Current REW spectrogram view has frequency response normalization feature that makes it easy to demonstrate difference between monopole and dipole speakers:

10f as dipole:

10f dipole spectrogram.png

TC9 as monopole:

TC9 monopole spectrogram.png

With the normalization feature both plots show uniform intensity across spectrum at t=0. TC9 has highly omnidirectional radiation below 2kHz. Loads of timing information and sound formants occur in this region, and are reflected from walls, ceiling, and floor. With 10f as dipole, a strong reflection is seen at 14ms, corresponding to wall 7 feat behind speaker. Set up with monopole a cardioid pattern may be achieved that would greatly reduce this reflection as well.

BYRTT, xrq971,

for your collection of testing clips :

Here the clip in mp3 to able you to listen if there is an interrest or not. Here it is about the great dynamic and the complex sounding (finale Symphony 4 from Tchaikovsky) which would be a nightmare for a FR ! Come from a good mono reccording. Here in the true event, there were certainly peaks near the max symphonic classical allow : (130 dB !). The cd was remastered at Abbey Road, and despite it's a CD, subjective dynamic feeling stay huge like the spl and push some speakers to the limit on some peaks !

For quality of tone, I stay on the clip 2 of the page 21 of this thread I already linked :)grand Piano solo + soundstage ambiance in a Church : from low end to mid-treble with many smooth tones and space ambiance, also with a great dynamic between the beginning and the end).

On the same page 21 the first clip about harmonica is a hard one to play with correct tone for any system !

If any of those 3 clips are interresting you, let me know about the flac to be sended.

Attachments

• Finale Symph 4 (mp3).asc
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
This driver is super cute! The Dayton PS95 looks like a TB from the front but I've never seen a basket like this from behind. Very open and airy. It appears very well made and feels substantial. I wouldn't be surprised if TB makes the driver.

I can't wait to get it onto an open baffle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 5,243
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
not sure why I can't upload more than one image at a time

You must be doing it from an iPhone. That is an iOS limitation (that and fact that uploads must be images). A pain...

The PS95-8 is a very well made driver - sourced in Taiwan I believe. Super value for $24 if you ask me. The basket is nicely made and comparable to the much pricier Visaton B80 in design. Both have similar traits of airy cast basket, paper, and phase plug. The included pre-glued foam gasket is really nice too.

I know they guard the source factory of these drivers because Perceval, whom lives in Taiwan, can't find it or get it there!

Last edited:
I'm uploading from an iPad. Thanks for letting me know of the iOS limitation. Grrr!

The PS95-8 looks like a substantial driver. Cosmetically it's among the best I've ever seen more in line with the expensive Fostex Sigma series than the rest of their lesser expensive line (which all look and feel inexpensive). It doesn't look like a TB from behind (some TBs are well made too). I haven't compared it directly yet but the TC9 did not impress me as much when I first saw it. The PS95-8 looks like an expensive hi-end driver regardless of price. Perhaps the prettiest driver I own.

I didn't realize even the Scan Speak isn't terribly expensive at around $65 but I'm content with the TC9 for the time being. I hope the PS95 sounds like the TC9 but with stronger treble (where I think the TC9 is slightly lacking). The TC9 sounds very smooth and relaxing but I have to aim it directly at the listening position to get more satisfying treble. At 49 years young I wonder if my hearing warrants a driver with stronger treble?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I agree that the PS95 is one of the prettiest drivers I have. That copper nose cone really adds some bling to it. :)

The performance is enough to garner substantial votes despite elevated HD levels relative to 10F/B80/TC9/TG9:

504709d1442577550-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-4-ps95-nautaloss.png

Truth be told, maybe it's the pleasing 2nd order HD that makes it sound good and "tubey" :D

The $65 is the 10F/8414 (higher 0.51 Qts) vs the $95 10F/8424 (lower 0.37 Qts). For OB, the $65 is probably better.

Last edited:
I will 'see' what I 'hear' soon enough. Honestly, I don't play very loudly in my apartment - which may explain why I've never blown one of my full rangers on open baffle without adding a circuit for reducing bass frequencies.

The TC9 treated me very well this weekend with its clean, neutral sound. Certainly a pleasure to listen to. I noticed covering the hole in the magnet reduces treble out the rear.

.....I hope the PS95 sounds like the TC9 but with stronger treble (where I think the TC9 is slightly lacking). The TC9 sounds very smooth and relaxing but I have to aim it directly at the listening position to get more satisfying treble. At 49 years young I wonder if my hearing warrants a driver with stronger treble?

Looks very good your new toys enjoy : )
Regarding stronger treble think it will deliver especially on axis, attach plot from round 1 where it was measured on axis and your TC9FD is there too to compare, that because think the plots shown here at round 4 for PS95-8 is at 30º off axis and makes a difference.

498875d1439759390-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-3-vifa-alpha15.jpg

497966d1439219891-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-4in-drivers-round-3-round_1.png

I'm uploading from an iPad. Thanks for letting me know of the iOS limitation. Grrr!

The PS95-8 looks like a substantial driver. Cosmetically it's among the best I've ever seen more in line with the expensive Fostex Sigma series than the rest of their lesser expensive line (which all look and feel inexpensive). It doesn't look like a TB from behind (some TBs are well made too). I haven't compared it directly yet but the TC9 did not impress me as much when I first saw it. The PS95-8 looks like an expensive hi-end driver regardless of price. Perhaps the prettiest driver I own.

I didn't realize even the Scan Speak isn't terribly expensive at around $65 but I'm content with the TC9 for the time being. I hope the PS95 sounds like the TC9 but with stronger treble (where I think the TC9 is slightly lacking). The TC9 sounds very smooth and relaxing but I have to aim it directly at the listening position to get more satisfying treble. At 49 years young I wonder if my hearing warrants a driver with stronger treble?
IMO, the biggest improvement anyone can make in their system, besides the speakers and room acoustics, is the addition of good tone controls. I designed up a 4 section Baxandall circuit. There is plenty of help available on the web for how to do that. Those who have no tone controls are fools. Another substantial improvement is to bi-amp, and add active EQ to pump up the low bass, below 100HZ, with a 10 - 15 dB peak at 30HZ, so it's acoustically somewhat flat to 30HZ at the listening position. HUGE improvement there IMO.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The box for the Dayton PS95-8 says Desgned and Engineered in the USA. Made in China.

I'm so intrigured by this little guy.

If it fits the same hole as the PC9 I may get to hear it tonight. I hope it doesn't need 700 hours to break in.

PS95 is same cutout hole as TC9. Even screw holes are almost the same spot. No break in needed.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
IMO, the biggest improvement anyone can make in their system, besides the speakers and room acoustics, is the addition of good tone controls. I designed up a 4 section Baxandall circuit. There is plenty of help available on the web for how to do that. Those who have no tone controls are fools. Another substantial improvement is to bi-amp, and add active EQ to pump up the low bass, below 100HZ, with a 10 - 15 dB peak at 30HZ, so it's acoustically somewhat flat to 30HZ at the listening position. HUGE improvement there IMO.

I think the best thing anyone can do to up their FAST game is to get miniDSP, a couple of amps, and a mic. You can xo anywhere you want - try different things. Tone controls are moot with 12 available PEQ's. All from convenience of your PC or Mac. It's like having an infinite supply of XO parts.

X

In regards to the FR/THD plot you posted in post #633. The P95 second harmonic is
-40db and the third is -63db. Fourth thru seventh are insignificant. If there is any validity to masking theory while playing program material at moderate to loud levels, you aren't going to hear them.

Jay Reed