Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

It's not so easy taking a CD apart and putting it back together so that it meets specs. What you show is the back panel removed, not the phase plug. In many designs the phase plug in integral to the design and cannot be changed.

The simple reason that no one does the phase plug as an extension of the waveguide is because there is no single waveguide design to mate to. Making the extension/phase plug as short as possible is then the best solution.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What about using a free standing midrange waveguide, instead of a direct radiating woofer of similar size? This is for a ⌀100 mm flat piston, ⌀380 x 100 mm overall. I'm only not sure it would reach low enough to overlap with the subs. Maybe with a bigger transducer. The advantage could be smoother response around the crossover frequency, I guess.

- Maybe this could be made elliptical and reduce the C-C :)

Attachments

• midhorn.PNG
    midhorn.PNG
    74.6 KB · Views: 387
  • midhorn_report.png
    midhorn_report.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Most interesting thread for me. I would love to see a simulation of a horn capable of a response from ~100hz to 5khz (or higher). The 100mm/ 4" Purifi driver might be capable. My dream setup would be an infinite baffle with this horn, bass and treble of equal output. My computer skills are not up to the task.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My sole motivation was to get the same (or better) directivity as that of a large woofer, without the issues of a big diaphragm. Probably it's not a very good idea overall, I don't know. It may need an additional woofer. Or not - depends on the SPL requirements.

Attachments

• midhorn_d2.PNG
    midhorn_d2.PNG
    65.2 KB · Views: 332
  • midhorn_d2_report.png
    midhorn_d2_report.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 325
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No, it's about the same size a woofer would have - that was the aim. To replace a large woofer in a two-way loudspeaker by something with a similar DI but smoother frequency response.
(Made this way, it may require an additional woofer, i.e. it could be a three-way with a dedicated bass transducer - no DI requirement anymore, just a volume displacement).

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As I imagine it - free standing "regular" WG with a CD, below that a box with this midrange WG (so not free standing) on the front and bass drivers on the sides.

Maybe both the waveguides could be free standing, one above the other. It only limits the space for a bass enclosure (which should not obstruct too much, IMO).

Last edited:
Here is the last one (free standing) with the Faital 5FE100 (5") - absolute SPL at 1m/2.83V. Of course first one would have to get rid of the resonance, this is totally non-optimized...

Maybe usable to 200 Hz (?). That's not bad, IMHO.

I like it! Seems like we would only need it to get down to our rooms' Schroeder frequency, then an adjacent woofer and multiple subs.

You continue to impress,

Bill