Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This was intended to be a simple and still rather small "full-range" two-way speaker with a passive crossover. For that you need a suitable woofer and I know only about two that will make it - this Dayton and some of the SICA range (which was already used before). Most of the 12" PA stuff doesn't fit very well to this goal, it just complicates the passive filter too much in order to play low enough.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
From the datasheet the DSA seemed to be a better driver but I haven't seen the other one, nor measured or compared them directly. Neither will be perfect, it's just about what's available.

- I would almost forget, I had also quite a good experience with the smaller aluminum one before, the DSA175: Test Bench: Dayton Audio DSA175 Designer Series 6.5” Woofer | audioXpress

Last edited:
At first I was discouraged by my results from using the morph parameters to crush down the surface generated by ath4 into a horn length and mouth size which would package in my particular application (klipsch k701-k704 / p audio ph-2510), but after figuring out how to tweak the dispersion angles to 100x40 I get what appears (to me, a layman) to be a much more realistic result - this is based on the 1" tritonia:

Code:
; Tritonia Waveguide - 1" version - edit jkm 10/6/21

Throat.Diameter = 25.4 ; [mm]
Throat.Angle = 0 ; [deg]
Throat.Profile = 1
Length = 81.5 ; [mm]

Coverage.Angle = 63 - 43*pow(sin(p),2) - 18*pow(cos(p),12)

Term.s = 0.7 + 0.2*pow(cos(p),2)
Term.n = 3.7
Term.q = 0.995

Morph.TargetShape = 1
Morph.FixedPart = 0.0
Morph.Rate = 3
Morph.CornerRadius = 12 ; [mm]
Morph.TargetWidth = 240 ; [mm]
Morph.TargetHeight = 70 ; [mm]
Morph.AllowShrinkage = 1 ; force the smaller height

Modeling a simplified shape for the outer profile of the horn turned out pretty well, I was able to use the fusion360 import surface script to bring in a surface, use it as a tool to remove the interior of the horn, and immediately verify my wall thicknesses to to make sure it would have acceptable strength and still fit through the baffle. Because it only took a few steps each try each generated surface, I was able to iteratively find the largest mouth dimension which would package fairly quickly. Ath4 is a wonderful tool, thank you mabat!

With regards to simulation, is anyone able to point me to the ABEC3 demo? It appears to have been discontinued in favor of AKABAK, but if I understand correctly the scripts included in ath4 set up an ABEC3 sim automatically and AKABAK requires importing the raw stl file and setting up a sim by hand?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    370.9 KB · Views: 315
Mouth gets bigger which increases DI lower end of the bandwidth and makes it DI a bit more flat overall. The highs are largely unaffected by the change. In fact it looks like all that changed was the pattern control went lower but all other features are intact. I think I tested this a while ago? maybe it was on some other thread. Too much going on, can't remember it all :D

hmm, interesting observation available in the SP graph: Since sound power stays about the same but pattern is narrowed on the low end of the bandwidth, the axial SPL is increased there! Similar effect as "loading", no?:)

edit. Hmm, looked wrong, sound power is affected as well. Whats going on? Lunch break

Last edited:
My ST260B prints are made from PLA and there are six halves to be glued.
Plan is to do main front speakers for HT and design could be 2-way with 1" dfm-2535r00-08 and 10" Eminence Legend BP102 which works great in sealed.
However, should I use 12" woofer Im not sure. In this thread I see its preferred for ST260. Already have some 15" (2226H) and 10" (Legend BP102) woofers

st260b.jpg

Last edited: