Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

So the proposed change is:
R = 111
Rot = 0

I'll order filament to print two waveguides. This looks really good but if you decide to change anything there is still time.

cr-1-Rot=0,R=111.png

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A higher DI will result in a room measurement that is truer to the anechoic measurement, when speaking of the sweet spot.
That doesn't mean it measures better. That's not how should be speakers measured in the first place.

All things else equal, the lower DI will cause more room reflections, than a situation of higher DI
You still completely overlook how flat that reflections are, spectrally (i.e. the slope of the DI). That's just not how it works.

You completely overlook how flat that reflections are, spectrally. That's just now how it works.
I didn't over look the phase and decay issues reflections cause. The more of the them, the more issues. The lower the DI the more reflective energy
How flat are, room reflections?
That doesn't mean it measures better. That's not how should be speakers measured in the first place.
All things else equal, I'm pretty sure it does mean it measures better, in a room.

Yeah but Mabat you are talking preference, I am just talking about looking at measurements objectively. Even at high DI, the results are no where as accurate as the room performance of an Anechoic chamber. Using Room treatment, makes resulting measurements closer to the anechoic measurements as well..... The purpose of a Waveguide is to increase directivity, otherwise, no use of a waveguide.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The purpose of a Waveguide is to increase directivity
Not necessarily, there are pretty wide-radiating (lowish DI) waveguides as well. It's mainly to maintain it controlled, so the reflections retain a similar spectral content as the direct sound.

And to measure such device properly, you ideally need an anechoic chamber, or another technique that eliminates reflections. Measuring it in a sweet spot including a room is just dilettantism.

Last edited: