Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Midrange cardioid would be good. I never learned how to use the BEE enclosure simulation so it's a good time to start. Here are non-normalized polars when applying the crossover that sounds best to me so far with the simple freestanding R-OSSE.

Practice var6 XO-schema-6.png Practice var6 Power+DI.png

Horizontal

Practice var6 Directivity (hor)line.png
Practice var6 Directivity (hor)90.png Practice var6 Directivity (hor)180.png
var6 Directivity (hor)w.png Practice var6 Directivity (hor)w180.png

Vertical

Practice var6 Directivity (ver, pos front)line90.png
Practice var6 Directivity (ver)90.png Practice var6 Directivity (ver)180.png

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I wasn't sure where to set the gating.
I don't use REW myself, can't help with the specifics, but the left edge of the time window should be always rectangular, otherwise you risk gross errors. It's best to see the actual window plotted in the IR graph (HOLMImpulse seems still unsurpassed in this regard).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is what I used for the REW files imported into VituixCAD. I wasn't sure where to set the gating.

View attachment 1191545

View attachment 1191546
Kimmosto recommends using Tukey 0.5 windows, as it provides better tracking with (true) nearfield or ground plane response. He posted a comparison somewhere, but I don't have it at hand; only an excerpt from VituixCAD manual.

Kimmo recommended window shape

Your left window is too short, it need to include full impulse. Increase from 2 to 4 or 5 ms. Right window is OK, can be increased from 12 to 13 ms.

It's best to see the actual window plotted in the IR graph (HOLMImpulse seems still unsurpassed in this regard).
REW does it too, and more: it shows you FR in real time as you drag windoow cursors.
REW window dragging

IMO, with recent updates it has surpassed all other measurement software, you should really try it.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good to see that. Of course if you include the full impulse with a sufficient time margin before it actually starts, the shape of the left window edge becomes virtually irrelevant. But you must be sure this is the case.

"it shows you FR in real time as you drag windoow cursors" - yeah, that's was the great feature of HI for years. It's great that REW does it as well now, it's really extremely useful.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't see where the start of the impulse is ...
Well, an impulse always starts where it starts to deviate from zero...
How many zeros are included before the start is irrelevant. (It can affect calculated phase (delay) though - that depends on how it's implemented. Here it seems that the time reference for where the IR actually starts can be set independently of the window.)

Last edited:
Nope, the widow to the left is 2 ms, the window to the right is 12 ms.
So it should be fine.

Except when the recording devise isn't particularly clean itself.
Yeah, but that shouldn't affect the calculated DUT response much. One doesn't have to be absolutely precise anyway - what's criticial is to have it consistent time-wise for all the drivers in the system. But in absolute terms, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Here are non-normalized polars when applying the crossover that sounds best to me so far with the simple freestanding R-OSSE.

Horizontal

View attachment 1191504

Vertical

View attachment 1191512
Now we are back at the Circle of confusion. One just can't avoid the thought whether a device that would stay flat on-axis but with the same power response slope wouldn't be actually better. You are in a position now where you can "easily" try both. That would be quite an experiment!

(BTW, I don't say it would be better, I just don't know. There are good theoretical arguments for either.)

Freestanding 46 degree B&C DE111 R-OSSE over an 8 inch Dayton DC200-8 in a 9x9 inch enclosure. Waveguide can be moved up and down to find the best center-to-center distance relative to crossover.

View attachment 1191223

I don't know how to make crossovers. I'm learning in VituixCAD. I create the crossover then export it to Equalizer APO. That allows me to hear the crossover changes immediately. I'm listening to high order crossovers to get a feel for it then I'll back off to lower order crossovers more suitable for passive designs.

View attachment 1191224 View attachment 1191225

As expected, waveguide performance matches the simulations.

View attachment 1191226 View attachment 1191227

I've listened to stereo music and watched a movie using only one speaker as a center channel. Music is very good but I'm most impressed with how well it works as a center channel for dialog intelligibility.

That's some serious dedication to getting good measurements :O

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, I didn't get good measurements. I used acoustic time reference because I don't have proper testing equipment and I didn't make sure each driver measurement was the same distance between the microphone and the acoustic reference. Apparently, when I moved the microphone to the next driver I was supposed to make sure the distance between the mic and the acoustic reference was the same. Plus, I don't understand gating.

3rd equation exists specifically for use with optimizer,in order to direct the optimizer results, you will find some description along these lines in the help file.

It's nice to see someone utilizing the transfer function block and impulse response convolution. It can be quite a powerful tool to develop active crossover using a PC as the DSP. You may have already found, but the frequency range and target slope should be carefully selected to avoid over-correcting the natural driver rolloff at low frequencies for example. As well, it can be useful to apply some smoothing to the driver response to avoid over-correcting every small little wiggle. Just use the smoothing options in the driver tab for this.

Your photos in the OP are a bit confusing, but the most important part of using acoustic timing reference is that the distance from the acoustic reference to the mic must remain constant for all measurements. This can be a bit challenging when moving from measuring the woofer response set to the tweeter response set, to keep precise distance from mic to reference. If you continue with further speaker designs, I would highly recommend XLR mic for electrical timing reference, you will find it a lot easier and reliable than the acoustic reference.

Also, by all means continue with near field and merge process, it's just 1 more measurement and a diffraction simulation, easily done to complete the woofer response.

Now we are back at the Circle of confusion. One just can't avoid the thought whether a device that would stay flat on-axis but with the same power response slope wouldn't be actually better. You are in a position now where you can "easily" try both. That would be quite an experiment!

(BTW, I don't say it would be better, I just don't know. There are good theoretical arguments for either.)

Do you mean listen to the difference between Variant R2 and Variant R7?

Capture.JPG Practice var2 Power+DI.png Practice var7 Power+DI.png

I exported the crossovers and EQ with the VituixCAD Impulse Response window. After you have all the variants (WAV files) in the Equalizer APO folder you can quickly switch between them in the config file. They all sound good to me. I prefer R7 because it sounds more accurate - to me - but I'll have people with better ears listen and compare.

I watched a movie called Chevalier (2022) last night on Variant R7. Left, Center, Right speakers but I have the DE250 on the center channel while using DE111s on the left and right. It sounds good. The DE250 had the inferior polar pattern due to diffraction off the large compression driver but I didn't notice. I wasn't as concerned with special effects as much as dialog intelligibility. The R-OSSEs have extremely good intelligibility. Dead easy to understand what the actors are saying.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I meant two versions of the waveguide, both with the same power response as you have now with your preferred version, but the second waveguide with flat on-axis response (i.e. more rising DI by that amount).

By setting different EQ you only change the overall tonality, but with those two versions you would change the tonality of the reflections against the direct sound - probably a lot more subtle effect, if at all noticeable (but maybe not). That would be the most interesting part.

Last edited: