Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Well the thing is, we can stay in the realm of waveguides only, and see the trend...
"keep DI flat, as with any other good waveguide." - A waveguide with Higher DI will measure better, in room, then a waveguide of Lower DI..... Both having a Flat DI

That is the point I am investigating

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A waveguide with Higher DI will measure better, in room, then a waveguide of Low DI..... Both having a Flat DI
That's just not how it should be measured, it makes no sense to compare them this way. If there's a sufficient time gap between the direct sound and the reflected sound (which calls for a highish DI), then the stronger the late reflections, the better :)

1689227556489.png
1689227585772.png

This isn't bad at all, is it?

That's just not how it should be measured, it makes no sense to compare them this way. If there's a sufficient time gap between the direct sound and the reflected sound (which calls for a highish DI), then the stronger the late reflections, the better :)
I don't know why it would be better. This must be an aspect of preference since it definitely would not measure better...

The resulting FR will be smoother, in room, with a waveguide that has a higher DI vs a lower DI, both having Flat DI. I prefer a smoother FR over higher room energy.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
As I said, whatever floats your boat. If you want your loudspeakers to measure the same in the room as in an anechoic chamber, then I guess you'd best make your room an anechoic chamber... It's as simple as that :) - The great thing about it being that the DI is then completely irrelevant and it will work for any loudspeaker. No need for big horn.

I guess the discussion about low versus high DI will never end, as there are valid arguments for both ways. It boils down to preference and circumstances i.m.o. If you have a very reflective listening space because of living with a spouse or family so room treatment is not feasible, then a lower DI is maybe preferable, maybe omni, dipole etc. If you are lucky to have acoustic treatment with much weaker (treated) first reflections and a single listening position, higher DI may be the way to go. Measurements do not tell the whole story, psychoacoustics play an important role too. One can also learn from how mixing rooms in studios deal with the matter. I like a pretty dead room -across the whole spectrum, not anechoic but with controlled reflections- so I can get away witch beamy speakers but in general, for average rooms with no treatment, I guess lower DI is preferable and that is what you see in the market, most commercial speakers for the masses have a tweeter that has a wide dispersion.

Reactions: 1 user
Anechoic Chamber is a very extreme exaggeration... Like these measurements, in room, things look very different. The Higher the DI, the more the measurements at the listening position will resemble the anechoic measurements is all. This is just pointing out that the lower DI, your in room measurements will look nothing like these measurements making them only useful to check for purity of the system minus the room. Somewhere there is a happy balance.
1689229597927.png

Reactions: 1 user
I heard far worse than "elitist" - elitist is good.
That wasn't meant to an insult. Elitist can be good if one can keep track of when they are speaking in ultimate's versus reasonably.
to measure such device properly, you ideally need an anechoic chamber, or another technique that eliminates reflections. Measuring it in a sweet spot including a room is just dilettantism.
Why would taking a measurement in the sweet spot, in room, be that? I think you mean to say "only measuring in the sweet spot...".... that would be just as you described. Sort of like only considering anechoic measurements... The speaker system will end up in a room, so in room measurements are definitely apart of the equation.... In regards to the sweet spot, in room, a High DI will render more accuracy than a Lower DI, in a room, all things else equal.

No ones ever seen constant directivity anyway... even whats shown below needs to be extended to 20hz... We end up with portions of the spectrum being constant directivity, in real life. 700hz-7k is a good portion to have covered, but 200-20khz is likely much more effective.

You could say my own form of elitism is chasing after clarity instead of wide sweet spots or high room energy
1689231184588.png

Last edited: