Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Hi Marcel,
I'd like to suggest keeping the lip on the base:

1. It makes accurate/well aligned assembly of the petals a breeze; and
  2. Increases the surface area and therefore strength of the glue bond.

The petal in the attached image hasn't yet been glued in place....

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210811_151203124.jpg
    IMG_20210811_151203124.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You still need the profile template to assemble the petals - I added it to the ZIP file: https://at-horns.eu/ext/ST260-petals.zip

I guess this depends on the precision of the print (+layer height, etc.) but I found both of your mentioned points to be actually worse with the lip. That's why I decided to remove it. Maybe I will leave only a small raised rim along the inner edge, I'll try that on the second set.

Attachments

• ST260-template.png
    ST260-template.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
FYI, the base + 10 (hollow) petals for one CE360 weights 340 g in total (PLA). This is ~ 7€, given a common filament price around 20€/kg. You can print a pair of these waveguides from one spool of filament with a reserve. A nice finish won't be cheap though, depending on one's demands.

Last edited:
I've made a half size test piece of the ST260 that I've modified to print in two sections without supports. The idea being to create an alignment ring and to get minimal warping. The bed of my printer was just too small to print the top ring in one go so I will have to cut it in half or quarters to make bigger guides.

For some reason the estimated time for printing was way out, with gyroid infill the top piece took 11 hours to print :eek: The Base took 8 instead of an estimated 4 and 5 hours.

The principle seems to work and there is just a slight difference at the split on the inside surface. I like the two large flat glue surfaces with an easy alignment.

The gyroid infill was used as it it supposed to work well for filling with a resin

Stronger 3d Print With Polyester Infill : 3 Steps - Instructables

Edit: Just noticed when looking at the reduced size image that when the z seam is aligned on both parts the grain patterns of the two pieces match up as well.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Waveguide Split Pieces.jpg
    Waveguide Split Pieces.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Waveguide Front.jpg
    Waveguide Front.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 330
  • Waveguide Back.jpg
    Waveguide Back.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 358
  • ST260 No supports Cross.png
    ST260 No supports Cross.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Wave pattern.png
    Wave pattern.png
    374.1 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What do you think? If crossed low enough, perhaps. Maybe making it a dipole/cardioid.
(i.e. placing midrange drivers in the enclosure wall behind the waveguide)

Attachments

• 4x5.PNG
    4x5.PNG
    92 KB · Views: 175
  • 4x5f.PNG
    4x5f.PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Image22.jpg
    Image22.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Image21.png
    Image21.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Kind of like prosound coaxials with attached horn flares. 1khz seems to be the upper limit in typical 12-15" coaxials where the horn covers most of the cone.

I think a 1.4" exit driver would be the best compromise in this arrangement. They certainly performed well in those plots posted awhile back.

Last edited:
^^^ The xo should be one wavelength, diameter of the horn, or lower so that the horn would become acoustically transparent to the sound emanating from behind without too much diffraction? steep xo slopes, yeah. If it is 26cm diameter waveguide, 1.3kHz, seems reasonable for 1" driver, might cross even lower? But you would want to align the directivity for drivers and the horn so some simulations required to see if there is setting that works well.

edit. fluid has everything already simulated :D