Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is perhaps the highest reasonably controlled DI I have seen in the set:

res_00051.png

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Frequencies above ~10 kHz are affected especially by the throat details and that is pretty independent of the rest of the waveguide (different 'k' values). So in these examples the behaviour above 10 kHz may not be directly related to anything below that and could be different with a different value of 'k'.

It seems there's nothing one can do to make the DI lower than about 15 dB at 20 kHz (for a simple open 1" throat, that is). So if it's already that high below that, it makes a "nicer" top end...

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is also possible, I'm only not sure it's the best way:

res_00060.png

Above 3 kHz the DI (and the -6dB beamwidth) is as flat as possible but the frequency responses in the listening window are actually not (and I guess that's how it must be). I believe that better would be to let the DI rise gently with the listening window flat (which can be done).

More something like this:

res_00086.png

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's only around 10 - 12". I've done this before:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6760729
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6752296
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6744458

This way it's printable without any supports and one can make quite big waveguide even on a small printer. It's glued and it's a lot of work, I'm not sure I would recommend it to everyone. For me it's certainly a way of testing these things.

20210813_164756.jpg

Last edited:
I put the Tritonia in a minimal baffle enclosure and simulated the freespace response with a dome tweeter as the original worked well with a spherical source.

I like it, within the listening window the responses are extremely similar to each other and fall off smoothly outside.

Tritonia Dome H Polar curves.png

Attachments

• Tritonia Dome Mesh Close.png
    Tritonia Dome Mesh Close.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Tritonia Dome Mesh.png
    Tritonia Dome Mesh.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Tritonia Dome V Polar curves.png
    Tritonia Dome V Polar curves.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The final parametric equation, in case someone already wanted to explore it.
I write a paper on that but it will take some time...

1643745594601.png

Code:
R = 180         # outer radius of the waveguide
a = 38.2        # nominal coverage angle
r0 = 12.7       # throat radius
a0 = 0          # throat angle
k = 0.88        # throat expansion factor
m = 0.85        # apex relative position
r = 0.31        # apex radius factor
b = 0.37        # bending factor
q = 3.00        # throat weighting factor

k1 = (k*r0)^2
k2 = 2*k*r0*tan(a0)
k3 = tan(a)^2
L = (sqrt(k2*k2 - 4*k3*(k1 - (R+r0*(k-1))^2)) - k2) / (2*k3)
x0 = L*sqrt(r*r + m*m)
b0 = (x0 - L*sqrt(r*r + (1-m)^2)) / (L*L)
y2(l) = sqrt(k1 + k2*l + k3*l*l) - r0*(k-1)
y0 = L + y2(L)
y1(l) = y0 - sqrt(L*L + k3*(l-L)^2)
w(t) = t^q

# t=<0,1>
x(t) = x0 - sqrt((r*L)^2 + L*L*(t-m)^2) - b*b0*(t*L)^2
y(t) = w(t)*y1(t*L) + (1-w(t))*y2(t*L)

Last edited:
Would it be possible to have ATH output a set of kit stl files ready for 3D printing? Would be helpfull for guys like me that lack all the skills...

I wish I could be more helpfull. I try though. I ported (part of) MMM to python in order to try to utilize the GPU for the calculations. That succeeded after quite some hard work, but it is slower than the CPU version. Too bad, I dreamt of playing with some sliders for the OSSE parameters and getting some 'instant' feedback.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Would it be possible to have ATH output a set of kit stl files ready for 3D printing? Would be helpfull for guys like me that lack all the skills...
I can only recommend Autodesk Fusion 360 which I've learned myself just for this purpose (the few bits needed). It's really intuitive and easy to work with - to produce a STL model of an axisymemtric device takes a couple of minutes (see https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6499437).