Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I wanted to share my measurements of the Exar 550 with Faital HF1460 Driver. These are my first crude measurements inroom; 5ms gating (exept NF -> 12ms); 0,45V -> ~93dB/1m (measured with spl meter at 1m)

IMG_20240611_130443.jpg

30 cm measurement

1.jpg

0-30 ° 1m from throat

HD.jpg

Harmonic Distortion at 30 cm from throat

Comp. NF - 1m.jpg

Comparison between 30cm and 1m measurement (SPL adjusted to equal 1m)

Once the weather gets better again, I want to do a full spinorama outside. But i think these measurements look great for now. With a little EQ it'll be almost perfect. The only issue I see are the resonances at around 3.8 and 6 kHz which are different off and on axis . I'm certain that this is due to quite the bad print quality. I have a few holes in the prints that need filler and more work at finishing. I since upgraded to a Bumbulab P1S and am looking forward to building the Exar520 G2 once it's released.

Thanks Marcel for your efforts in creating such a great software and horn sets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Vini, congratulations! You're one of those brave enough.
I like the results, even if measured on the floor - it's very promising and it should get only better.

I almost forgot about this waveguide. After I made it myself, I just said it was too big and reduced it a bit to the A520G2. Then I found it's possible to reach the same performance down to ~600 Hz with just 460mm, so that's what I would consider an optimum. I will release an EXAR version of that as well. Furthermore, with the G2 it's possible to try different thoat extensions. I wonder if this is the maximum that can be reached with this driver...

- Now I see the HF1460 has a cylindrical exit, which is quite unusual. It should allow some interesting adapter options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Struggling a bit to get simulation results... here is where I am at the moment...

When I launch Vacs I get empty windows. Could some one check my output files from akabak at this stage in the process - does it look OK?

After Vacs launch:

aka.jpg

Files in the working Abec_FreeStanding directory at Vacs launch:

akabak.jpg

Any hints appreciated... :)

//

Reactions: 1 user

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for reaching out fluid!

After finding this pane I see no items at all. I don't think this aspect is addressed in the ATH manual... but it would be hard for it cover all bases...

For a CD, what to put in there?

In the ATH manual one see that the driver is a red surface - I don't see that.

not_driv.jpg

//

Last edited:
You might need to find the elements that represent the diaphragm and set them to be driven. In your mesh is the diaphragm red? If not it is not set to be driven.

ATH creates scripts for ABEC, trying to use AKABAK when you don't already know how adds an extra layer of difficulty. In ABEC all the hard work is done for you. The two programs work quite differently in how the user interacts with them. You will also find that the observation script planes don't match either and your VACS output is not what you expect when you get it to work.

My advice is use ABEC, I have both and I use ABEC with ATH because they just work much better together.

In the ATH script I can see no items describing a driver - where in the process is that suppose to be added?

//
You need to look in the BEM tab and see what elements there are there. The triangles that represent the diaphragm need to be assigned to an element and that elements boundaries need to be set to driven. But I wouuld strongly suggest to download ABEC as if you solve the driving issue you will then run into observation script incompatibility... I know how to do all of this but I don't because it is much easier and faster to use ABEC for processing Ath scripts :)

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 6.10.32 PM.png

• Thank You

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Only Abec issue now seem to be:

ERRORS ------------------------
Missing specification for field observations.

There is an observation.txt in the project looking like:

Code:
Driving_Values
  DrvType=Acceleration; Value=100
  10  DrvGroup=1001  Weight=1.0  Delay=0.0

Radiation_Impedance
  BodeType=Complex; Range_min=0; Range_max=2; RadImpType=Normalized
  GraphHeader="RadImp"
  301  1001 1001  ID=2004

BE_Spectrum
  PlotType=Polar; GraphHeader="PM_SPL"
  BodeType=LeveldB; Range_max=5; Range_min=-45