AD768 as audio DAC

@rfbrw has helpfully pointed out that this DAC works on straight binary (unipolar) whereas audio DACs get given a bipolar (twos complement) input signal. So you'll want to invert the MSB between the HC595 and the AD768.

I missed this earlier, sorry. So, the solution would be to place a logic IC between the HC595 and AD768 to perform the inversion?

I haven't worked it out with pencil and paper, just imagined it in my head. Which is fraught with opportunities for error :D

Here is a useful document - https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sbaa042a/sbaa042a.pdf

Scrolling down to p8 of the above document it shows an MSB inverter is able to convert between BTC and BOB. Now BOB isn't exactly the code that the AD768 accepts, rather its USB (first coding example). Which differs only from BOB in that BOB is bipolar, otherwise the code mapping is the same. So I reckon the MSB inverter should work (famous last words!).

Last edited:
Updated schematic with inverted MSB.

Now I need to work out how to connect the clock and latch part of the I2S, I shall study the links Miro and Abraxalito posted.

Attachments

• AD768 DAC.png
    AD768 DAC.png
    412.9 KB · Views: 140
Here is the relationship between different DAC input formats (as abraxalito said, just invert the MSB)

Yes + delay LE for 1 BCK if I2S used. I think that format is left justified. I did the same with one of my diskrete dac input shift register with I2S.
220r maybe will be too high value use 100-120ohm. Or better meassure with scope for proper signal integrity.