Aiyima TPA3251 Modification Build Thread!

Hi Daniboun,

Yep, encouraging perhaps... but, err, this is (or was) a thread about 04 and not 07. It uses a different core / chip amp (TPA3251 and not TPA3255), to start with (not mentioning implementation etc.). Same extended family of TI Class D chip amps, but different animal for different needs - alone on the spec sheet, not mentioning other real life bits.

As for ASR's measurements... according to these, all the amps you have built and purchased since a couple of years should sound the same (or nearly so) to human ears (that are supposed to be inferior to their gear, not only different so they claim)...
I don't know for you, but that didn't work in my case, absolutely not, be it for their ranking of amps or theirs for DACs.

Pity, I would really have loved the world would be that simple: we would all have perfect amps for peanuts money... Ok, perhaps with a different front end to suit our sonic preferences... but NO, not to my experience.

Gilles is still using on a daily basis his (trully engaging and nice sounding) bi-amp tweaked 04 at his, side by side with my VFET that measures really HORRIBLY to ASR standards. Same source, same loudspeakers. Although there is really no loser here, I know which amp I would keep without hesitation... AND GILLES, IF YOU READ THIS, YES, "THAT ONE" IS ON LOAN GLOL!

I am an old engineer that ended up in Formula 1 and really love measurements and data... really a lot, believe me... but only the ones that are really usefull to me. I learned that with time, but that's another debate...

Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.” -Albert Einstein

Have a fun day

Claude
Oh THAT ONE !? Claude you know the saying, what is not claimed for a year and a day...... Anyway, now that you bought good LS for it, i'll enjoy to listen to it in my sorry 😁 YOUR new home !
Gilles.

I tried this home made bank of 12 parallel 3300uF 50 V capacitors between the 32 V 5 A power supply sold by AIYIMA and the A04. Using top of the line Accuphase CD player and preamplifier, and JBL studio loudspeakers, the capacitor bank certainly makes a difference. The soundstage is more solid with more impact. My A04 also has OPA1656 OPAMPs. I now believe that when using SMPS for audio applications, it is a good choice to use a filter capacitance like the one used for linear transformer based power supply.

Attachments

• Capacitor bank.jpg
    Capacitor bank.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 191
I tried this home made bank of 12 parallel 3300uF 50 V capacitors between the 32 V 5 A power supply sold by AIYIMA and the A04. Using top of the line Accuphase CD player and preamplifier, and JBL studio loudspeakers, the capacitor bank certainly makes a difference. The soundstage is more solid with more impact. My A04 also has OPA1656 OPAMPs. I now believe that when using SMPS for audio applications, it is a good choice to use a filter capacitance like the one used for linear transformer based power supply.
If I am not in error, the open loop audio gain of a class D amplifier is proportional to the power supply voltage of the power MOS even if we have ideal MOS. I do not know the open loop gain of the TPA3251, but if it is not much higher than the closed loop gain of 20 dB: see https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/tpa3251 the effect of dynamical changes of the open loop gain due to power supply voltage dynamical changes might not be negligible. These changes may follow the power envelope of real music.

It certainly helps in many cases.

However, it won't help the getting the HF garbage out, so it could be worthwhile to make also provision for a SMPS filter.

I strongly believe that "SMPS + SMPS Filter + additional PS capacity + additional bypass caps" can make in many audio cases an as good PS as the best top of the line linear ones. Bare perhaps for some applications around some Class AB amps

Claude

It might be interesting to analyze the design of a capacitor bank....
Suppose that we want to provide 5 amps for one second. The electric charge is Q=current * time = 5 * 1 = 5 Coulomb.
Then we want that our capacitor discharges by 1 volt (delta V) during that period of time. The equation is charge Q= C * delta V = C * 1, therefore C=Q/delta V = 5/1 = 5 Farad = 5,000,000 uF, five million microfarads.
We may now say that our capacitor is indeed fully charged every 1/100 second, it follows that the required capacitance for the same voltage drop of 1 V is 1/100 of 5,000,000 uf, that is 50000 uF.
A04 has about 6000 uF inside, with the external 40000 uF we have 46000 uF
With 50 Hz mains frequency, a well designed diode bridge (and transformer) does indeed provide the 1/100 s periodic charging time. A SMPS should make a better job because it is actively regulated (in the 1/100 s interval and also in average), but because it does its job that way, it has an ACTIVE role in sound quality, something that we do not want !!
The conclusion is that if we accept one volt fluctuations at full load (5A) (say from 32 to 31 V, and let the audio amplifier compensate for that) and we do not want an active role for any kind of power supply (for the 1/100 s mains fluctuations), 40000 uF is the minimum capacitance to be added to this amplifier.
NOTE: the calulations are simplified, Charging a DC loaded capacitor with diodes and common transformers is a problem that can be solved with simulation software, no exact formula exists.

Last edited:
Hmm... No time at all to elaborate here, but I suggest you indeed run a simulation... or use formula that are closer to the way a linear PS is charging and discharging (far away from a square form, the tranny conducts quite a lot etc.). BTW, when the tranny conducts you hear it aswell, so not just cap's sound acting as buffer all the time, and indeed active compensation has also its downside (I always found SMPS benefitted from a bit more buffering, which has also its downsides and is sometimes to wise dpending on the application, but say for power amps OK).

As for 1V 'fluctuation', that can be quite high already, it depends a lot on your amp... and its ability to reject PS fluctuation (PSRR). Key words are noise floor, hum etc., in relation to your signal... in fact you need to take the noise floor you want and substract the amp's PSRR to dertermine what "further max voltage fluctuation in dB (relative to your signal)" you need... etc.
Just as a sideline I believe the PSRR of the TI chip in our application is roughly 60dB, so 1V can be quite high already, depending on what you seek. But on the other hand it depends a lot if you use a linear PS or SMPS etc., in our case SMPS is doing already an excellent job re regulation and PS fluctuation under load (with some deficits of course, and that real life ripple is higher than advertised but can be found in most test sheets (Meanwell etc.).

Anyway... I realy have no time for this indeed intersting topic, but digging a bit you may find that to enable 1V fluctuation for a 5A load with a linear PS (you post)... 8500uF are adequate.

Of course nothing wrong going higher as long as you can / the rest of the PS copes at start up (but not sure you would here a difference*), nor of course that bigger / more / different caps wouldn't affect the sound in a different way (read stiff PS, ESR across frequencies, especialy as a Class D pumps at high frequency), but we already tried to address that with bypass caps. That's why IME caps with as low ESR as possible across a wide frequency range are important.

* we did't need more than 1 Watt in our application, so difficult to say were the limit lies if needing full power (not sure this amp would cope anyway), but we ended up with a total of over 19200uF AFTER a low ripple SMPS and adding more (we tried +6600uF) didn't bring any sonic difference... in our case.

All this ti say that the 4400uf used in the application sheet and that can be found inside the unit make indeed sense. With your aim and a linear PS, a total of 8500uF would be fine... but then I would use a SMPS with a HF good filter and some moderate additional caps (nothing close to 50 000uF).

Sorry, I won't elaborate more as time consuming, but i am sure others can and if not internet will provide you with these basics

Have fun

Claude

Hi,
Thanks all for sharing very insightful info, especially Claude!!

I did mod my A04 based on the recommendation, result is simply say great.
But now I did volume change for the DACT type small attenuator.
It is not difficult to remove the old one actually and easy to install the new one. Simply say, just fit!!
sound is clearly improved. I highly recommend this if you accept 24 steps volume control (for me, no problem)

Hi All, In all of the talk regarding the op-amps and capacitors.. Has anyone thought of using surface mount bypass capacitors? They have no leads. No leads = no lead inductance. An EIA0805 capacitor in many cases neatly fits between the legs of through hole parts. Just solder them to the pads. Another comment regarding op-amps. A trick I learned once upon a time from an audio design legend. Add a resistor from the output of the op-amp to ground. (Or the negative rail) The output of the op-amp is at around 6VDC in the case of this amp. If you add a 1.5k resistor to ground, (you can try low resistance values too for even more current. Sometimes distortion goes up... but so does musicality) the resistor is pulling ~4ma through the op-amp to ground. What does the op-amp have to do to compensate? Pull a DC bias in the opposite direction. This puts the op-amp into a state where it isn't dancing around the reference point of 6V. it's akin to forcing it into class A. This simple trick can turn even mundane op-amps into much better performers.

Hi Soundblaster

Thanks for your input :)

As reply to your question, yep, been there, done that.

There are of course some very fine SMD caps and inded sometimes their size come very handy between larger component's legs. And you get rid of quite a big portion of the parasitic inductance indeed thanks to the absence of legs.

There are of course some limitations due to the form factor and technology, eventhough SMDs without legs and housing etc. are quite good in relative terms. The prob is you can't get quality items in larger size (PPP etc.) obviously. More rleated to this project, it is probably easier for beginners to fit and replace / play with bypasses that are larger size - eventhough in fact SMDs are easy to remove. Another negative is that SMD caps are quite sensitive, if you mess with temp you can degrade them and unless you cook them it is difficult to find out you degraded them, so less good when it comes to experimenting and undoing several times.

As of me, at the end I had no idea where that would lead, and Gilles was doing most of the fitting due to COVID lockout, so it was just handier to work with good old components I knew well... and that were handy for some.

But there is nothing against SMD and once you know what values to go for / sound best, it is even easier to implement in series...

Have fun experimenting

Claude

regarding the op amp trick, I played with it over 2 decades ago and still have my ART DI/O with AD825 amps fitted like this... browse and google, my name hasn't changed ;-)

However, a few bits:
  • The resistor is Okish, but has some negative to bias in Class A... much better is to use a transistor and a resistor to do that. They are even more complex ways to bias / force in Class A an op amp, you can google, but overkill for us IMHO
  • That trick works great on some OPA, and does nothing on some... and degrades some OPAs. If you search on this forum you will find that when OPA1656 was released some time ago (got some prototypes / early releases) I tried to force it into Class A with a resistor and transistor. It didn't work. I posted wondering why and the designer of the chip replied, it is in the OPA1656 thread (hint: it has already some similar trick built-in by design).

Bottom line, all nice tricks and worth trying, but you need to know what you are doing and understand why it may work or not. One can not copy paste and also some old tricks do not apply to modern parts as the tech has evolved meantime. I used to do some very complicated bypasses on my old power amps. Today's PS caps need far less, but on the other hand today's caps, due to some build tech no more being used, don't last as long.

Trade off I guess, and we need to adapt, that's DIY

Have fun

Claude

For anyone interested, I can confirm swappping those four 10 uf caps between OPAMP and the chip with 1uF MKP types doesn't lessen bass in any capacity! I have verified this using Frequency spectrum sweep test. Though I am doing this on A07, I hope the results should be consistent with A04 as well. I will be posting my entire mod here once i have done with my tweaks.

This makes sense. If one were to read the data sheet for the IC. The input resistance for the input pins is 24k. A 1uf cap will still give you a corner frequency of 6.63Hz. Going to 0.47uf will move it up to 14Hz. Of course phase shift starts creeping in but it will be easier on the power supply.

Reactions: 1 user
So... after all this unit seems to work nearly as anticipated, nothing fancy but a few bits...

1- The potentiometer is a classical one, a passive device at input. You can't just shunt it because if you draw a schematic you will find that you will always have a connection to ground (max level and connecting line in and out) regardless. Min level doesn't help, so eventhough you connect In and Out you won't shunt nothing (as predicted) and you the volume pot still is in the way... and you can alter volume.
=> The board or the pot need really to be physicaly removed, and as that is not something that Gilles can do easily (soldering job is a bit of a mess, presumably handwork) that will have to wait until after the lockdown

2- There is nothing fancy at op amp stages... but 2 things. The first is, as we found out previously, VMID as the usual positive and negative power supply aren't available a voltage divider has been designed to have somethig lile +6V and +12V powering the op amps. That +6V or so (unknown exact voltage, remember I don't have a unit) has to fed +In to shift values. When you proceed like this you may consider the output having like a carrier and needing to block DC to extract the music signal.

3- Now comes the oddity that payed with us. The first stage has a gain of 2. This is NOT what TI has done in its papers. TI went for unity gain at stage, and that changes everything! In case of a unity gain, with low offset op amps, you DON'T NEED a DC blocking cap between stages. That's a unique case due to G=1. Now, once you move away from that figure, you do need a DC blocking cap between stage 1 and 2 at op amp level. And we found out the hard way. And the Aiyima needs that DC blocking cap as it has a first stage of 2! Now you could probably with a low offset get rid of the DC blocking cap at OPamp stages output / chip amp input, but that is a safety for the Chip (despite having its own DC protection, not very documented BTW) and we will deal with that later.

NOW, why did Aiyima went the trouble to introduce gain? OK, at that level it won't affect sound really, but still why... TI did without and that saved a cap in teh signal path, in that case an electrolytic one (not great for sound usualy)? I undertstand they could have had a usual HIFI op amp PS and do without, but what they did isn't too bad and saves money. Still the extra cap if you go VMID... that means they WANTED extra gain, a preamp in the amp. They decided that the TI chip gain of 20dB wasn't enough (indeed onthe light side) and wanted some extra room to amplify weaker sources. I don't think that's really needed but indeed it depends on your louspeaker (efficiency and impedance). Say you have 1V output at full volume from an analogue source, than you have 10V at the LS and with 8 Ohm that means max power of only 12W! With a CD with max 2V and 4R LS, things look better with max power being 100W per channel, more than the unit can deliver probably. Now we see why they went for gain, depending on customer set ups...

Note, depending on your system's needs, you could go back to G=1 replacing per channel one 20k resistor by a 10k one (rough figures), but that is at SMD level and haven't been identified yet. Presumably more hassle for most than just leaving with that extra gain and dealing with better DC blocking caps.

So at the end signal path is in order: RCA input / simple volume pot / DC coupling caps / 1st Stage op amp with G=2 / DC blocking cap / 2nd stage (with G=1 of course to balance signal) / DC blocking cap / Power chip amp. Of course, there are also some resistors etc. here and there to make it work, but you get the idea...

Now we understood all this, we can carry on nearly as expected :
  • shunting the op amp input stage caps IN OUR CASE
  • having many possiblities regarding the DC blocking cap in the signal path, tne ones between op amp stages and also at the output. Keep the existing ones, replace with Elna Simic II, replace with Wima MKS and depending on options bypassing or not all these with 0.1uF C0G (more thinking electrolytic caps).

Back to work, but most of the mods to come require me having access to the unit wth a proper desoldering machine.

Claude... and Gilles
Hi, Great find ! Which out of 5 caps in the input stage are DC blocking caps for OPamps ? I am in mid of tweaking my unit .

Sorry... PS = power supply

Meant don't forget OPA PS bypass caps, they do make a lot of difference on this Aiyima as we found out.

It could well be that " if just amp rolling " you prefer OPA X , because it is less sensitive to current feed, whereas you later find out OPA Y is way better once the current feed to the OPA is really good and in our case that means quite a few bypass caps closest to each OPA. Seems to be another bottleneck of this unit.

It is a bit like say a race car that can't make do with an average tyres or geo, whereas a daily shed is far more compliant and often even happier with less sharp settings to mask its limits.

Perhaps a share of the minority that prefered here another OPA than OPA1656 might have gone for say a bass heavier or less treble sharp op amp... because the OPA current feed wasn't optimal. Or because it addressed other sonic balance problems (small LS without first ocatve etc.). Just a guess... I don't see many bypass caps on pix in this thread re OPA... but a lot of amp rolling is reported.

To even things, you need say at least kind of a ".1uF C0G + 10uF+10uF possibly of mixed tech" (say 'lytic + X7R). Of course 2x 10uF of 22uF PPP would be much better, but that's out of scope, hence making do...

All IMHO

Claude
Though this is for A07, i think the layout is pretty much the same as A04. Capacitor marked 1 is responsible for OPAmp power supply. Capacitor 2 shows continuity with Capacitor 1. So i changed them to Panasonic FM 220uF 35V (fits fine). For this position i have tried Nichicon KZ, Pana FM, Nichicon FW and few other but Pana FM was clearly the best audibly even with the stock NE 5532 (might be due to high ripple current as opposed to Samwha WF it replaced). I have the Cap 1 bypassed with Vishay MKT 370 0.22uF as well. Under the board the OPAamp VCC & GND is further bypassed with Wima FKS2 1500pF x 2 each, so 3000 pF in total. The OPA 1656 is in order & am looking forward to bypass the top terminals with a small size Pana FM electro &/or Wima 0.033uF FKP2 (largest size available).

The 5 caps before OPA has been changed to Nichicon FW (can't say if they made any significant difference). The 1st & 4th cap from the bottom right has been bypassed with wima 0.01 uf (just because i had them laying around). The middle of the 5 caps near the OPAmp has been changed to 100uF 35V. Previously i had completely removed the cap in that position and replaced it with Wee WME 2.2uF film cap. I saw some weird behaviour, the sound quality changed for very good initially then after some time the sound changed to mono like (like am listening to bluetooth speaker) with no seperation. And occasionaly right channel will stop working. I almost got a mini stroke. Changed back to NIchicon FW 100uf 35V. Everything back to normal ! Big Relief !!!
Based on your suggestion & mine initial experience as well i bypassed them with Wima but felt the soundstage collapsed & became somehow narrow, don't know if this was real or my bad experience with full film cap replacement tricking my mind but i finally removed the bypass. So, no bypass in this position now.

The four caps on the output side of OPA i am contemplating to change but am confused between Nichicon ES, Nichicon FG or Elna Silmic II. But thinking of doing this once i have my OPA 1656 in the place since that would define a better route in which would i like to go depending on their sonic signature (also as per your report no significant benefits). No bypass on these four caps as of yet.

Prior to these I changed the coils to Coilcraft 10uH (since i had them with me & they made significant upgrade in my TPA 3116 amp when i did it). Its pretty neat & is very firm. I am not able to compare the improvements made since most of the mods were done in a go & it's hard to imagine how the amp sounded in stock. but change must be very positive. The DC caps has been changed to Nichicon KZ 220uF 50V x2 (since these were my fav caps on other TPA 3116 board, based on various choices i tried) on the board & bypassed with extended wire to Nichicon FW 1000uf X 2. I didn't noticed any change with the increase in capacitance (might be due to my less demanding needs for wattage). Nichicon KZ is bypassed below the board with 0.22 uF Vishay MKT 370. I don't want to go crazy on bypass in this position since i am very happy with KZ sound signature & heavy bypass will alter that sparkly HF am getting. I am contemplating the idea to bypass those 4 small ceramics close to the chip itself with some FKS2 (or FKP2 if slim enough) since they fit inside the cavity of heatsink just fine so will be much beneficial than heavy bypassing on the power caps lead out. Also FKP2 or FKS2 have a much lower DF compared to MKT or MKP types being a foil cap and are much suited for pulse duty. So even a smaller value can outperform a larger value MKT or MKP.

After all these mods i really have no idea how much the sound have changed since i have no memory of what the amp sounded in stock (i almost jumped on modding it, considering how much difference it made on my other TPA 3116 amp) but irrespective of that, it just sounds very very good. Very much close to my reference DIY amp with even better low end. Am just hoping that OPA 1656 chip brings further sonic improvements.

Attachments

• IMG_20220926_082226_edit.jpg
    IMG_20220926_082226_edit.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Gotcha, yeah, its a shame so much his required to make the 1656's "sound good". Arent the 4 10uf OPA input caps responsible for that? Would using something larger and/or with lower ESR accomplish similar results? That would also potentially improve any opamp used too.

It actually looks like (to my inexperienced eyes) that the LM4562's require more input current than the OPA1656's (10mA x 2 vs 3.9mA x 2)
Cap 1 & 2(possibly) are responsible for VCC & GND supply line on OPamp. This is on A07 but most likely will be similar on A04 as well.
DIMM is your friend.

Attachments

414.2 KB · Views: 528
Or you may just find, as we did, that once you bypassed properly the big PS caps it doesn't matter anymore really what your starting point was and the original caps can be quite safely left in place to concentrate on other areas (such as a SMPS filter perhaps?) ;-)

One thing though
quote: "other change I made today was adding a 10uf ceramic to the OPA PS which again, cant possible hurt"
=> Warning: in fact it can to our experience. When we tried on the OPA PS to add JUST a single 10uF X7R cap (on top of the .1uF), it did sadly hurt the sound as reported. Whereas adding just one 10uF (or several for that matter) 10uF lytics didn't affect the sound really. Odd, but the X7R alone didn't seem to work at all for us in that VERY specific case, whereas for whatever reason (a scope would reveal probably) there is a nice synergy when mixing X7R and lytics in that location.

Space permitting and cost no object we would probably just add 2 big 10uF PPP caps and .1uF PPP cap and probably wouldn't have to fiddle like that, but we did our best given the layout ... and who knows, perhaps we would have been negatively surprised, one never knows, although very unlikely

Anyway, we reported on all that as that was one of the grey areas where cooking and trying was required and space limited (look at the pix on how we did it to try the various combos before going for the (to our ears) winning solution...
Based on A07, but A04 might be very similar. Changing the cap in the middle of those 5 caps to film type collapses the soundstage to almost mono like & some weird behaviour of right channel cutting out. Done that, but changed to Nichi FW 100 uf 35V now. I tried bypassing them with Vishay 0.22 uF as well but felt the sound stage becoming narrower ! Weird !! I felt that bipolars (film or electrolytic) wont be favourable in this position , so removed the bypass. May be bcoz you are using a smaller bypass (0.1uF) you are not detecting this behaviour or may be my setup is more revealing.

Infact i doubt the middle of the 5 caps are the PS cap for the OPamp. The middle cap shows continuity with GND & INP pin on both the OPamps while the VCC & GND are in continuity with cap marked 1& 2. I have changed Cap 1 & 2 with low esr Pana FM & there is already a noticeable sound improvement with even the stock NE 5532. I have tried bunch of my fav caps in this position but Panasonic was clearly better sonically.

Attachments

414.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
It sounds like a lot of work, well done.

Without pix and numbers on it it is difficult to follow what has been done sadly. Well, must confess that since I don't own such a unit and it has been ages it would probably make no difference to mu understanding anyway, so don't waste time on this. Further, it appears this unit had quite a few variations along its production time, so what was true on the 3 units we tweaked might not necessarly be on other units. But these productions variations were quite small and after all this is DIY.