Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A Amp

Nono, the Ussa 5 (on the 11th you said this: "I don't have test A/B yet between Ussa 5 and AN39 i hope soon....").
Καλησπέρα Αndy
As you can see, since I haven't finished the amplifier in the second channel, the power supply is missing.........when I finish it, I will do the test. However, what I received from one channel is very very promising. No noise at all .No grounds connections from all ...haha ....😉😉😉😆😆😆

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Greetings,

A quick question before I begin setting up to test. I would like to confirm that if using a molex box for X143, the output would be from pins 1 and 2, and these would attach to the resistor load I will be using for testing. I have attached a schematic. Thanks for the help.
MM

Nirvana Schem-As Built.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Greetings,

A quick question before I begin setting up to test. I would like to confirm that if using a molex box for X143, the output would be from pins 1 and 2, and these would attach to the resistor load I will be using for testing. I have attached a schematic. Thanks for the help.

I would agree with Nikos:

1719356545890.png

There's lots of current passing through the spkr terminals - I would suggest spades are a much better alternative for this purpose.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nikos and Andy,

I had to change the Molex cables out in my SLB, so I know a bit about the perils. Since I have the molex box's cabled already, I will use them for the test part, and then decide on whether to remove both of the N and P molex boxes and the output molex box. Thanks for the advice.
MM

@Kokanee

Miles,

Because the schematic you have posted is also trying to establish a relationship between the pin tabs marked X144 and X145, it somewhat obscures the association of which Molex pins (in X143) are the “+” output and which are the “-“ output. As such, allow me to show you another schematic and picture:

1719389160575.png

Now you can see pins 1 or 3 (or both) are the true (+) signal outputs and pins 2 or 4 (or both) are the analog signal ground. So your resistor can connect across them.

With your DMM you can double check this. The junctions of R141, R142 and R143 are all on the same pad trace that connect to the pins 1 and 3 of X143. These are your “+” outputs. As such, the other two pins 2 and 4 should have continuity with the faston tab marked “0V” and are your analog output signal “-“ :

1719389453059.png

Also you’ll see a clean break in the trace within the Molex X143 silkscreen above. Of course your load resistor doesn’t care which side it is connected to just as long as it is from + signal output to analog signal ground (0V).

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Thanks Anand,
I never did build the AN39 and so I'm not the guy to advice Myles!
I have just ordered (and paid!) the first A40 from VeraFi and hope to have it in Oz within the next month.

I really need to find out more about this amp. At the time it was a doodle on a Cafe napkin and I really need to listen to the commercial version, thanks to XRK, Mark, Anthony, Jan and JPS.

HD

Thanks Anand,
I never did build the AN39 and so I'm not the guy to advice Myles!
I have just ordered (and paid!) the first A40 from VeraFi and hope to have it in Oz within the next month.

I really need to find out more about this amp. At the time it was a doodle on a Cafe napkin and I really need to listen to the commercial version, thanks to XRK, Mark, Anthony, Jan and JPS.

HD

But you've listened to mine Hugh. :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thank you Anand,
The schematic you posted is less busy. I am in the process of changing my Moles cables out to soldered leads and spades. Thank you for the clarification as I was on the way to installing the spades in a horizontal position (pin1-pin2) rather than vertical (pin1-pin3). I will check everything more than once before powering up.

Hugh, I hope you enjoy the A40, it looks great. I will look forward to your review.

MM

Yup, it makes perfect sense to my mind, and I’m sure I’m not alone. It makes you think about what the ultimate amp would sound iike. For me it would have the outstanding clarity and transparency of Tom’s amps but with that added magic that a good SET brings to the party. Maybe those two things are mutually exclusive, well at least to some degree?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's how it clips that matters.

That is: the perfect amp is superlinear (and inherently so) below a few watts, then starts producing H2 as we head towards clipping, which happens without fuss (that is, softly & sans ringing) and recovers instantly. All regardless of load.

This is the opposite of the typical high-gain, AB amplifier architecture. Which measures really, really well for the first few watts. And almost until cliping, as long as you ignore the IMD from capacitor recharge. And when it does clip, not only does it clip very harshly & all the way through the amp but all the "fixed" bias points and current sources are all knocked off kilter, which can take a long (RC) time to recover. Meanwhile, the amplifiers loop gain and stability are anybody's guess.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. My PSU is +/-28V rails and my speakers are 4 ohm, so not sure if I should be using the 4R BOM which assumes +/-20V rails or the 8R BOM which assumes +/-28V rails (or if I have to come up with my own values). Any help is appreciated.

There are some component value differences between the AN8R circuit and the AN4R circuit - in addition to the +/- DC rail values.

It was previously reported that someone who built the AN8R version (with +/-27v or 28v DC rails) found that it didn't like his 4ohm spkrs; OTOH I built the AN4R version (with +/-21v DC rails) and it drives my 4ohm spkrs excellently. :)

Thanks @andyr. I'm actually asking about component values. I want to build an AN with +/-28V rails for 4 ohm speakers, and I'm not sure what component values to use. Do I use the ones from the 4R BOM, the 8R BOM, or some modified BOM?

Then it would seem ... you're on your own, rdb! o_O

No one has built a 4R version with 28v rails.

You may have to pay Hugh for some work with LTspice?

I guess the question is ... why do you want 28v rails for the 4R version? Presumably, for greater power than 21v rails deliver?

I'm getting 45w into 4 ohms from my 21v rails - with quite a lot of heat output. 28v rails would produce a lot more heat - I think you'd need fans for this. (Which produce noise. :( )