Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi,

I am basic learner here and need experts advise.

Is there a way we can build (Streamer + DAC) in one Stack? by adding both Streamer card and DAC cards to PurePi II?
Considering below combinations, will it work?
Please also share in case of specific precautions to take care and/or limitations we will be having.
For power 2 no 2.5A adapters should be good to start? - saw one of the Gabster video on DAC build....

UcConditioner MkII 3.3v (optional)
6B# OPA861
4B# ES9038Q2M Dual Mono II DAC
TransportPi AES
MonitorPi Pro
FifoPi Q7/Q7II
Shield Pi Pro MK II
19D# ReceiverPi DDC with Amanero Combo768
RPi 4B/5
PurePi II

In case this is not going to work then can we plan as below?

As DAC:
6B# OPA861
4B# ES9038Q2M Dual Mono II DAC
MonitorPi Pro
FifoPi Q7/Q7II
Shield Pi Pro MK II
19D# ReceiverPi DDC with Amanero Combo768
PurePi II

As Streamer:
UcConditioner MkII 3.3v (optional)
TransportPi AES
RPi 4B/5

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If I can use cheaper power supplies I'm happy! 😂 but there are no noise problems because the lifepo only uses batteries, right!? while using a cheap power supply for the purepi would be inadvisable, right!?
As I typed it I thought it's also a general question. I have a Purepi coming my way...and was thinking to just use a 2A phone charger for it. :)

So anyone...please feel free to air your thoughts on feeding conditioner/purepi etc with simple switching phone chargers.

Last edited:
@Bas Horneman FWIW I find a linear power supply to be a cheap easy DIY build so I work to avoid switching power supplies anywhere near the system. I figure the Purepi will deliver clean power, but I prefer not to have switching PS on the grounds. That said, they are all over the house and the neighborhood, so it may be faulty logic.

Reactions: 1 users
True...no harm in getting linear power supplies if you have the knowledge or the money. Won't hurt. To be perfectly honest. I got a 2nd hand 90282mp board that set me on the PurePi path. And I thought if I use a mobile phone charger...I won't have to make another box especially since I want to stay with the 'naked' look. And the phone charger is automatically safe (if reputable brand is used). So it's more of a laziness thing that I want to use a cheap solution. And the 'isolation' of the purepi helped me persuade my lazy self. :LOL:

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone.
I need to clarify a doubt before proceeding with the assembly of my dac/streamer build, quite important doubt to me.
I'm using Eaton 3000F Ultracaps (with UcBalancer and UcPure MKIII from Ian). The question is: once I assembled all and caps get charged, what's the proper way discharge them manually? I will for sure need my hand in there to do things, and I definitely don't want them to be charged meanwhile.
Do I need to detach something before discharging? I have a 50W 8ohm resistor around and planned to use it, theoretically it just brings to a ~0.34A current. But where do I need to connect it? To the UcBalancer? To the UcPure output?
(Btw both outputs from the UcPure are going to be connected)

Just want to be sure not to mess with those beasts.
Hope you can help me, thanks.

I've successfully discharged Eaton 3000F with the following:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/603-SQP10AJB-5R (Official recommended resistor from the UcPure manual)

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/548-80120

The alligator clips + resistor are agnostic, but I try to keep it consistent with each Eaton. Black alligator to the negative terminal on the Eaton, red to the positive terminal. It's agnostic so it doesn't matter, but I try to stay consistent during rinse and repeat on each Eaton. Anything on the UcPure and UcBalancer are completely untouched during a discharge. I make sure I unscrew the wiring from the UcPure to the UcBalancer and remove any physical connections (UcBalancer or Buss Bar) to avoid any complications. If the Eatons are still physically connected together, it makes it more difficult to discharge efficiently so I only discharge Eatons independently.

It's optimal to try to discharge to 0V as much as possible. If Eatons are physically connected to one another while discharging, getting to 0V is an uphill battle.

Ciao

Last edited:
Need clarification

For a Pure Pi II using RPi 5, when connecting RPi 5 power adapter ( 5V 5A) to Pure Pi II USB C port, it is not switching ON. When plugged same adapter to RPi 5 USB C then all coming UP and functioning. Do we miss any quality/features by connecting power to RPi instead of Pure Pi II?

When 5V 3A adapter is plugged to Pure Pi II it responds. all works but RPi 5 not getting enough power to function fully...

Pure Pi II documentation says - Standard 5V 2.5A or higher current power supply in USB-C is needed as power input.

What we are missing here. how best to connect and use RPi 5+Pure Pi II. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

@Oystein

aha! I did not see that clearly on your scheme (bit blind sometimes) When there is power over the ribbon and the impedance at the board at that frequency is low (Like a Polymer C eventually parallel with a 1uF MKP) at the input (can be placed extra) then there will be a clear reduction of power supply noise coming from the PI.... expect like 60dB at 10MHz os so...

Sure, I am looking forward to your feedback when you are ready...

I have included the 100 uF + 1 uF capacitors to GPIO pins 2-4-6.
The flat cable is connected to the underside J1 (dirty side) and J2 on top is directly connected to the same pins so here on top I could easlily add them.

884c1e9b-63fc-4451-98fc-0f9be1384d3c.jpg

I also made the sync cable between the PurePi and FiFoPiQ7.
As I only need the Mute pin from the Q7 I cut the other (DSD) wire and extended the GND wire from the PurePi to the signal GND on the Q7, this is on the clean side GPIO connector J1 pin 6.

I noticed when I stop the music and clear the playlist in PicorePlayer the Mute / sync is not triggered yet.
I need to shut down LMS on it's webpage or in the iPeng app (iPad) to activate the Mute output.

It would be better to mute when the music stops playing? ... anybody any tips ?

af2adc99-f978-4ec3-8304-d6863151dce2.jpg

Hello Everyone

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

I could use some help to resolve a DSD-related problem I am having with my Ian Canada stack.

My stack is RPi4 USB output into a ReceiverPi DDC (Amanero768 USB input) -> FIFoPIQ7 -> HDMIPiPro. The HDMIPiPro is feeding the II2S input of a Gustard R26 DAC

I am using HQPlayer to "feed" the RPi4.

Everything works OK when I use the PCM output of HQPLayer

However, when I try to use the SDM (DSD) output of HQPlayer, then the FiFoPiQ7 doesn't seem to recognise the DSD stream - see the screenshot of what my MonitorPiPro is showing in the photo below

Anybody come across the problem or seen this displayed on the MonitorPiPro before, please?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20240623_180023.jpg
    20240623_180023.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 46
Need clarification

For a Pure Pi II using RPi 5, when connecting RPi 5 power adapter ( 5V 5A) to Pure Pi II USB C port, it is not switching ON. When plugged same adapter to RPi 5 USB C then all coming UP and functioning. Do we miss any quality/features by connecting power to RPi instead of Pure Pi II?

When 5V 3A adapter is plugged to Pure Pi II it responds. all works but RPi 5 not getting enough power to function fully...

Pure Pi II documentation says - Standard 5V 2.5A or higher current power supply in USB-C is needed as power input.

What we are missing here. how best to connect and use RPi 5+Pure Pi II. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I found a solution on this link, it's very simple. It works fine for me, I have no more problems with starting the RPi5
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=357129

Reactions: 1 users