Building an ultimate low power class A amplifier – my way

Joined 2019
Paid Member
any listening impressions so far with only the single channel,
Patience Gary. You will get independent impressions soon enough. :)

It is impossible to determine what any amplifier is capable of with improvised wiring and small test loudspeakers. In example, when I moved from improvised amplifiers to final build with proper wiring, first impression was “where are those super tweeters and subwoofer hidden”. And soundstage unfolded like never before. It took me two days to accommodate and turn on actual subwoofer after level and crossover frequency readjustment.

For me, biggest treat of this amplifier is that it almost doesn’t spoil or color the sound at all. You may hate it or love it. It reveals a lot of nuances in recording, good and bad.

That transparency adds another level to my loudspeakers biggest feature, detached soundstage. It was pure blind luck that I’ve bought my current loudspeakers as a bridge to planned diy build (on the indefinite hold now). They punch several categories above their weight. Soundstage is outside my room, behind the loudspeakers and wider than the room. Perception is that sound emanates from instruments and artists positions on “stage”, almost never from the loudspeakers except for some rare old recordings, and loudspeakers are useless dead decorations in the room. This is inherent property of good loudspeakers and amplifier will not create that effect. But ,for that effect, it must provide unspoiled sound an that it does. In comparison to previous amplifier driving the same loudspeakers (pimped up LuDEF), this one provides another level of that soundstage effect, realism and details.

If your loudspeakers are capable of disappearing at least with some recordings, this amplifier could push them to provide that effect often or even better.
Whoever doesn’t have that reproduction where loudspeakers virtually don’t exist is missing a lot.

You mean 22 mF per rail as first capacitor and 22 mF as a second capacitor? If so, for 2 A load, it is on the acceptable minimum side. 47 mF + 47 mF per rail would be better.

Ripple voltage is not an issue as amplifier has very high PSRR.
I have total of 22mF each cap total of 4 caps exact same value. Single psu for both the channels. As I type the amp is making beautiful music with my Fane open baffle setup paired with FE22 preamp 👌

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: 1 user
I’m glad that now I’m not the only one enjoying it.
With 100 dB/1W, if you have any hum with no signal, replace plain twisted wire at input with shielded cable.
No hum issues at all as followed your grounding wiring on this psu
Decoupling L
LS ground L
Signal ground L
Speaker ground L
Safety ground
Speaker ground R
Signal ground R
LS ground R
Decoupling R
and works perfect and I hear a very slight hiss when I am very close to the speakers otherwise dead silent 👍
Using XRK’s speaker protection mono modules also powered by the same psu. Used CL60 as soft start and one more CL60 for psu ground isolation all tied to the star point on the chassis bottom plate.

Thanks for that, so to aim at the 17.5 to 18VDC at the amp under load, it looks like the optimum AC secondary voltage is 14 to 15VAC (300VA should be more than big enough). Just as well you are using the prasi active rectifier CRC board, with normal diode bridge your DC volts would be a volt or so lower again. I am going for a 15VAC dual secondary transformer, and will add extra psu capacitance after the CRC board dual mono with 100,000uF per rail per channel - 44,000uF per rail on the CRC and an extra 56,000UF per rail chassis mount cap. Hopefully that will be beefy enough. My chassis will be bigger than yours shown in the photo. Will also run at 1.2 ADC bias current.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Super build Manniraj!🤩

I was curious if you would hear a bit of hum at the speaker using a shared psu for both channels, excellent news. (Nice layout Tombo!)
I noticed the speaker woofer would flex with a 'bump' sound during the first second of power up in my testing setup, using the SSR DC protection boards with delayed signal pass-through would eliminate that.

Off topic: what Fane drivers are those?

Enjoy the music!!
:cheers: